Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    Jared Allen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So his signing bonus over 6 years isn't that much...roughly 2.6 mil/year. The majority of the contract is base pay this year, 14.3 million. That's a lot for a DE, but partially earned in earlier years. You would think we could give him a 2 year extension that changed most of that figure to a signing bonus, dividing it out over 3 years. Problem is tho, it only helps us this year, as the following years he's still going to want a big paycheck and now we're still paying for the bonus we paid in 2013. Basically, sure, we can get his number this year down to 5 or 6, but the following 2 years it'll likely be back up at 15-17.

I think we can forget about the franchise tag, pretty sure he'd get either the average of the top 5 salaries, OR a raise of at least ?20?% set by CBA, whichever is greater. Please correct me if I'm wrong there...?
    I forgot about that, so the going rate for a tag DE could be around 10 mill but for Jared its just over 17 mill... eck

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    I forgot about that, so the going rate for a tag DE could be around 10 mill but for Jared its just over 17 mill ... eck
    Never agree to a trade unless the player is signed first.

The Vikings really messed up the way they did that trade and contract. Both Allen and the Chiefs had added leverage because the Vikings brain-trust did not know what order this kind of thing needs to be done in to keep the price reasonable.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    I strongly believe that something will be worked out with either Kevin Williams, Allen, or very well both of them before the draft. DT is deep this year in the draft, and we have guys currently on the team that can start if need be, so K-Will will have to think long and hard if approached, and I think Allen will be extended a few more years and that will free up some money for this year. They have to do something obviously.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    Never agree to a trade unless the player is signed first.

The Vikings really messed up the way they did that trade and contract. Both Allen and the Chiefs had added leverage because the Vikings brain-trust did not know what order this kind of thing needs to be done in to keep the price reasonable.
    Worth every penny. He's averaged over 15 sacks a season, and has not missed a game. The Vikings went to the playoffs in 3 of the 5 seasons since we signed him.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    Worth every penny. He's averaged over 15 sacks a season, and has not missed a game. The Vikings went to the playoffs in 3 of the 5 seasons since we signed him.
    That's not true. He's averaged less than 15 sacks per season. In the 5 years he's been with us he's had more than 15 sacks in a year only once.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    That's not true. He's averaged less than 15 sacks per season. In the 5 years he's been with us he's had more than 15 sacks in a year only once.
    He said averaged. Yeah, the math says 74 sacks in 5 years is only 14.8 per year so make sure you point out how wrong he is for rounding the .2 a year up.

At any rate at 14.8 or 15.1 I would say he has been valuable to the team. Not sure anyone is ever worth multi millions for anything but if they are then he is one of them.

Actually scratch that. He has 4 post season sacks which brings his total to 78 and dividing that by 5 years you get 15.6 average per year. So that means he was right and you don't even need to split hairs or round up to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    He said averaged. Yeah, the math says 74 sacks in 5 years is only 14.8 per year so make sure you point out how wrong he is for rounding the .2 a year up.
    He said averaged OVER. If you go by the regular season totals of 74 sacks, 14.8 is not over. Simply pointing that out & also that he only did that once as the 22 sack total year skewed the averages for the remaining four.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Post-Jennings Cap Situation

But he also played in the postseason and this sacks count. That puts him at 15.6 average.

Even nitpicking a .2 discrepancy in a fan forum is really just being a dick more than proving any point. But doing it and not even using all his sacks( because he did say a year and unless something changed the playoffs still happen somewhere during the calendar year) just plain looks like you either forgot to look or you knew but it shot your post in the ass so you purposely left it out in order to try to validate your position. And that failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    But he also played in the postseason and this sacks count. That puts him at 15.6 average.

Even nitpicking a .2 discrepancy in a fan forum is really just being a dick more than proving any point. But doing it and not even using all his sacks( because he did say a year and unless something changed the playoffs still happen somewhere during the calendar year) just plain looks like you either forgot to look or you knew but it shot your post in the ass so you purposely left it out in order to try to validate your position. And that failed.
    First off, I was merely pointing it out that is was under, not over 15. Not really a big deal. Generally, when talking about a players stats and season averages, it doesn't include post season games.

When talking about AD's rushing season last year, most if not all people will tell you that he was 9 yards shy of breaking Dickerson's single season rushing record of 2,105 yards with 2,097.

I don't recall you quickly piping in & pointing out how wrong they were because they didn't include post season games stats which would have put AD at 2,196, 17 yards shy of breaking Dickerson's 2,212 season. So either you forgot that both played in post season games or you chose not to be anal that time & weave post stats into the yearly stats.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    First off, I was merely pointing it out that is was under, not over 15. Not really a big deal. Generally, when talking about a players stats and season averages, it doesn't include post season games.

When talking about AD's rushing season last year, most if not all people will tell you that he was 9 yards shy of breaking Dickerson's single season rushing record of 2,105 yards with 2,097.

I don't recall you quickly piping in & pointing out how wrong they were because they didn't include post season games stats which would have put AD at 2,196, 17 yards shy of breaking Dickerson's 2,212 season. So either you forgot that both played in post season games or you chose not to be anal that time & weave post stats into the yearly stats.
    Lmao

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instanc...x/34758584.jpg
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast