[size=13pt]Vikings surge late in Seattle, win 31-13[/size]

Game re-cap stats & video highlights

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Post Vikings vs Seattle game articles

Vikings 31, Seahawks 13
    Associated Press
    22 Oct. 2006

SEATTLE (AP) - For years, teams facing the Seahawks at home have tried silent snap counts, blaring music during practices and other tricks to combat Seattle's notoriously raucous crowd noise...

=====================

Vikings shock Seahawks in Seattle
    Associated Press
    23 Oct. 2006

SEATTLE (AP) - For years, teams facing the Seahawks at home have tried silent snap counts, blaring music during practices and other tricks to combat Seattle's notoriously raucous crowd noise...

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

I appologize for the lack of articles this morning. JingJing was online & I had my priorities.

I'll put them up when I get home tonight

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"singersp" wrote:
    I appologize for the lack of articles this morning. JingJing was online & I had my priorities.

I'll put them up when I get home tonight
    It's already happening...1000s of miles away and the Vikings are taking the back seat.
    8)
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

no respect get no respect
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

VIKINGS STUN SEAHAWKS
    NFL News

Hutchinson huge in Vikings' win
    Monday, October 23, 2006 - Page updated at 12:00 AM
    By Danny O'Neil
    Seattle Times NFL reporter

Seahawks vs. Vikings: Game in review
    Monday, October 23, 2006
    Compiled by CLARE FARNSWORTH
    P-I REPORTER

Seahawks' 12th Man Silent As Vikings Win
    By GREGG BELL , 10.22.2006, 09:21 PM

Vikings quiet Seattle crowd with 31-13 victory
    Inside The Gamekevin Seifert, Star Tribune
    Last update: October 22, 2006 – 11:24 PM

Moore shows he has the touch
    Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
    Last update: October 22, 2006 – 11:32 PM

Vikings defense clamps down after early shock
    Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
    Last update: October 22, 2006 – 10:08 PM

Harsh words sting a bit less with win
    Vikings lineman Steve Hutchinson endured unprecedented spite upon his return to Seattle.
    Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
    Last update: October 22, 2006 – 11:29 PM

Seattle backups come up short
    John Boyle, Special to the Star Tribune
    Last update: October 22, 2006 – 10:30 PM

Hawks, Hasselbeck hammered by Vikings
    Sports: Sunday, October 22, 2006
    By José Miguel Romero
    Seattle Times staff reporter

No carries, but a `cannon' for Vikings' Moore
    Posted on Sun, Oct. 22, 2006
    By Judd Zulgad

Vikings Poison Seattle 31-13
    10/22/2006

Moore's performance over the top
    Posted on Mon, Oct. 23, 2006
    BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

When Vikings needed a big play, Taylor delivers
    Posted on Sun, Oct. 22, 2006
    By Patrick Reusse
    McClatchy Newspapers

Record run a team effort
    Blockers pave way for 95-yard TD
    Posted on Mon, Oct. 23, 2006
    BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

Big Road Win
    22 Oct. 2006
    Author: Mike Wobschall, vikings.com

Updates from the win
    22 Oct. 2006
    Vikings.com

PurplePride80 is offline Star Spokesman

Minnesota trifecta pays off

SEATTLE -- On Sunday at Qwest Field, Vikings coach Brad Childress finally convinced the world why the Vikings invested $65 million to make a playoff run.

Viking fans had been growing impatient. Chester Taylor, who cost $14 million over four years, entered the game against the Seahawks averaging only 3.8 yards a carry. Steve Hutchinson, the Vikings $49 million left guard, was just settling in and getting comfortable playing beside left tackle Bryant McKinnie. Tony Richardson, who signed a two-year, $2 million deal to be the fullback, was like a "Dancing With the Stars" partner waiting to take the lead.

In a surprising 31-13 domination of the Seahawks, the Vikings' running trifecta all came together, highlighted by one stunning and backbreaking play. The Vikings led, 17-10, in the third quarter. The Seahawks and their loud fans were still grimacing over quarterback Matt Hasselbeck's knee sprain. Knowing the game could come down to field position, Mike Holmgren watched his punter pin the Vikings at their 5-yard line.

Childress called a basic lead running play to the left, which really isn't basic when the game's best left guard (Hutchinson) and a destined-to-be Pro Bowl left tackle McKinnie, all 6-feet-8 inches of him, fill the left side of the line. The Seahawks rode a similar type of weakside play to the Super Bowl last year with Shaun Alexander running behind Hutchinson and Walter Jones.

This is a play that gets the linebackers flowing," Taylor said. "If the offensive linemen can push them by, then you see what happens."

What happened was a 95-yard Taylor run that basically sealed one of the Vikings' most important road wins of the past year. Taylor, who's known for chipping away at defenses with short, no-nonsense runs, made the longest run of his football career -- high school and college included.

"I'm glad he didn't spasm his back," Childress said of Taylor's long run, which seemed to take an eternity. "He threw his chin back around the 25-yard line. Those guys in the front did something, and if you make somebody miss or step through ... ."

The weird part about Taylor's run was how it started. He flowed naturally to his left, drawing the Seahawks linebackers and defensive tackles into an enticing trap. The only problem was, at first, Taylor's shoulders weren't square to the line of scrimmage, the technique most running backs need to have full vision of the field. His body was contorted to a point where he was initially staring toward the side of the Vikings end zone.

But backs run according to instinct and that's what Taylor did. Hutchinson, McKinnie and others started knocking down the overpursuing Seahawks defenders and Taylor cut neatly behind the blocking until he found open field.

"Sometimes as a running back, you don't know why you do things. You just go on instincts," Taylor said. "But you need a little more than instincts in this game. I can't pinpoint it."

Taylor finished with 169 yards on 26 carries, but he struggled to figure out which was exactly more tiring -- the constant sacrificing of his body into the middle of the Seahawks defense, or his 95-yard run.

"To tell you the truth, I felt it at about the 15-yard line," Taylor said. "Luckily, the safety (Michael Boulware) dove for my legs, so I cut it back inside. He felt it, too."

And so did the Seahawks, who couldn't recover from the double push of losing Hasselbeck and giving up a 95-yard touchdown to a back whose longest run this season was 33 yards.

"We've been pretty good on defense all around the board," Seahawks linebacker Julian Peterson said. "Then you'll see a big play every once in a while, and it will be a big deflator. This team, we didn't get enough opportunities to make a couple big plays ourselves, either on defense, offense or special teams. They made all the big plays, and that was the big difference in the game."

For the first time this season, the Vikings showed some explosion. They have been used to playing close-to-the-vest heavyweight fights that go down to the wire. Against the Seahawks, the Vikings opened up the big play.

Trailing 10-3 in the first half, Minnesota quarterback Brad Johnson hit Marcus Robinson with a 40-yard touchdown pass that caught cornerback Kelly Jennings and Boulware confused as to where to position themselves in coverage. To help their red-zone production, halfback Mewelde Moore fired a 15-yard touchdown pass to tight end Jermaine Wiggins in the back of the end zone.

"We had open tryouts this past week for that particular play and Chester was getting too many runs," Brad Johnson said of the halfback-option pass. "Mewelde did a great job. For that to be a third-and-long call ... one, to make that call, and two, to trust your player to make the right read, that was a huge play."

Certainly, the Vikings wanted to make huge plays for Hutchinson's return to Seattle. Even though Hutchinson helped take the Seahawks to the Super Bowl last year, Seahawks fans booed him with disdain for leaving. Seahawks management made a strategic negotiating mistake by placing the transition, and not the franchise, tag on Hutchinson, giving the Vikings the chance to make a poison pill-laden contract the Seahawks had no choice but to reject.

"I got booed more than anybody in the history of the Seahawks," Hutchinson said. "Certainly, no offensive lineman got booed as much as me. The fans basically cussed me out for about three hours. That was it. I don't know. That is about as much interaction as I had."

The game, after all, was labeled the Hutchinson Bowl. So it was fitting for the biggest play of the game -- Taylor's 95-yard run -- to come at the closed end of the stadium where voices carry to the field.

"We were backed up," Hutchinson said of the third-quarter situation before the run. "The crowd was obviously loud back here. It was a crucial point in the game. If they hold us there, and we have to punt, then they have a short field. You know that their offense is very potent. The first play out of the gate, I think that we broke a little bit of their spirit there by running 95 yards and going up by 14. It was a play that we ran several times in the game. I think we just got a different look."

Hutchinson sensed the run would go big when the linebackers got out of their line. Taylor redirected his body and followed Richardson's lead block and those by Hutchinson and the left side of the line.

"We needed that," Johnson said. "The crowd was going nuts, and you could barely hear in the huddle. We called one of our best runs and they jammed it. There really wasn't much there. Chester did a great job of keeping his legs alive and took it around up the side. To run that distance, that's a long way to run. It was huge for the momentum of the game."

And for the momentum of a season. The Vikings are 4-2 heading into next Monday night's home game against the Patriots. After that, they play four games against teams with a combined record of 10-20. If the Vikings can beat New England, it's not out of the question for them to be 9-2 heading into their Dec. 3 showdown against the Bears in Chicago.

"I feel like as far as the offense, we are coming together," McKinnie said. "We actually made some plays instead of coming up short with threes (field goals). Even when we did score three today, we rallied and ended up getting seven."

All of a sudden, that $65 million thrown at Hutchinson, Taylor and Richardson looks like money well spent.
    In the P.J.'s, my blend tape plays, bullets are strays
    Young bitches is grazed
    Each block, is like a maze, full of black rats trapped
    Plus the Island is packed
    From what I hear in all the stories when my peoples come back, black

ballhog27 is offline Rookie

With this win it looks like the vikings could possibly finish the season as high as 12-4. But I am getting a head of myself here on this one. I just think that the defense comes to play for the big games. This is making our offense look better and better each week. It also helped that we got to take on Seattle after a bye and without Alexander. This allowed us to focus on there come from behind victory over the Rams last week to watch how St. Louis played them so well. But now its time to look a head at the Patroits. This team is no slouch but I do think the Vikings have a running shot at taking this one. 8)
    "Show me a good and gracious loser and I'll show you a failure."
    - Knute Rockne

POSTED 11:08 a.m. EDT, October 23, 2006

BIG SHOW MIGHT BE WISHING THAT TRADE DEADLINE WAS LATER

With Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck facing a Monday MRI to determine the extent of an injury to his right knee, Seattle coach Mike Holmgren could eventually be wishing that the NFL's trade deadline came in November, not October.

Why?
    Because if Hasselbeck's injury is what it appeared to be when he grabbed in pain at his knee on Sunday (i.e., a torn ACL), then the Big Show could have dialed up the Packers and swung a deal for quarterback Brett Favre.

But with the trade deadline expiring last week, it's too late.

Or is it?
    Favre and Holmgren (who coached the Packers to a Super Bowl win a decade ago) would be able to reunite in 2006 if the Packers were to release Favre -- and if no one else were to claim him on waivers.
    Vested veterans (that is, players with four or more years of service) cut after the trade deadline are subject to the waiver system.

With that said, we doubt that anyone would pick up the prorated portion of Favre's 2006 salary of $7 million, which roughly equates to $4.12 million over the final ten weeks of the season.
    So if Favre asked the Packers to let him go, and if they did, he'd likely clear waivers.

So it raises an interesting situation for Favre.
    If Hasselbeck is done, does he ask the team to let him leave so that he can ride out his final season with Holmgren, in the hopes of pulling an Elway?
    Without Hasselbeck, landing a guy like Favre might be the team's only chance to return to the Super Bowl.

And landing in Seattle would likely be Favre's only chance to get back there, too.

Del Rio Guest

"Acumen" wrote:
    POSTED 11:08 a.m. EDT, October 23, 2006

BIG SHOW MIGHT BE WISHING THAT TRADE DEADLINE WAS LATER

With Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck facing a Monday MRI to determine the extent of an injury to his right knee, Seattle coach Mike Holmgren could eventually be wishing that the NFL's trade deadline came in November, not October.

Why?
    Because if Hasselbeck's injury is what it appeared to be when he grabbed in pain at his knee on Sunday (i.e., a torn ACL), then the Big Show could have dialed up the Packers and swung a deal for quarterback Brett Favre.

But with the trade deadline expiring last week, it's too late.

Or is it?
    Favre and Holmgren (who coached the Packers to a Super Bowl win a decade ago) would be able to reunite in 2006 if the Packers were to release Favre -- and if no one else were to claim him on waivers.
    Vested veterans (that is, players with four or more years of service) cut after the trade deadline are subject to the waiver system.

With that said, we doubt that anyone would pick up the prorated portion of Favre's 2006 salary of $7 million, which roughly equates to $4.12 million over the final ten weeks of the season.
    So if Favre asked the Packers to let him go, and if they did, he'd likely clear waivers.

So it raises an interesting situation for Favre.
    If Hasselbeck is done, does he ask the team to let him leave so that he can ride out his final season with Holmgren, in the hopes of pulling an Elway?
    Without Hasselbeck, landing a guy like Favre might be the team's only chance to return to the Super Bowl.

And landing in Seattle would likely be Favre's only chance to get back there, too.

That's a pretty impressive stretch of the imagination there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast