Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis View Post
    I agree on AD as MVP. Manning got to hand pick the team he went to after being released by the Colts. He picked a team that went to the playoffs last year and won a playoff game.

AD did what he did this season after a major knee injury, coming off a 3-13 season, and everyone picked the Vikings for dead last in the division and had them picking in the top 5 in the draft. He did this despite having a mediocre QB, no WR's, and every defense they faced stacked the line to stop him. He had 1000 yards after contact on the season. He did more for his team than Manning did, that is the true definition of MVP.

Now, as far as the game goes. AD is a f'n beast and he deserved that record. Had he not taken a series off against the Texans, he has the record. If he ran the ball one or two more times against GB, he has the record. They should have found a way to get him that record against GB. This opportunity may never come again, but the one thing I have learned on AD is this, NEVER DOUBT THE GUY.

Ponder was efficient, but I don't think he has enough poise to go into Lambeau Field this Saturday and beat the Packers on their home turf with that fan base. If they are to beat GB, it will be on AD's back, and Ponder will have to take advantage of what their defense gives him. It will be a much different scenario playing this Saturday than it was last week.

Is Rodgers that good, or does the Vike's secondary f'n suck that bad? My god, AJ Jefferson is a f'n joke. He gets beat every time, he can't knock down a pass, and he gives up TD after TD. There were two instances this past Sunday where the ball was already in the receivers hands, and then Jefferson looked up and tried swatting the ball. The guy is a huge hindrance, and the Packers will attack him early and often this next game.

Win or lose Saturday, the Vikings far exceeded my expectations on them this year. Winning 7 more games than all of last season is huge, being in 2nd place in the division and being a playoff team is even bigger. With that being said, the Vikings absolutely need to make it a priority to get some WR's in here, as well as secondary help. I would love to see the Vikings sign a Jennings and/or Mike Wallace or trade for Fitzgerald and bring him home to Minnesota. We need 2 top flight WR's here to make this offense legit again. The way its going, the Vikings will end up trading Harvin, they should see if they can trade Harvin to Arizona for Fitz, or trade him to another team for a top CB.

I would really like to go to the game this Saturday, but every time I have gone to a GB/Min game in GB, the Vikes have lost. So I am just going to sit my ass on my couch and watch the game from my warm living room and hope like hell the Vikes can knock of GB at Lambeau. Good luck boys, but win or lose, great season.
    Ok, your like the 8th guy in this thread that is bagging on Jefferson while leaving the rest of the secondary alone in your criticism.

For the record, Jefferson only had one bad series. The last series where GB scored, the one where the camera focused on him. He actually had pretty good coverage as usual, but mugged the WR on one play and didn't look around fast enough on the TD play. If you watch that play and actually see what is going on, that is a damned near impossible play for the CB to defend.

On the other hand, if you go to pro football focus or other sites that measure secondary play you will find that almost every other person in our secondary graded out worse than Jefferson. Sherels especially stunk things up and was completely schooled including the 73 yard bomb to Jordy. Jefferson made the tackle on that play, but it wasn't his responsibility.

Cook got toasted a number of times, Raymond looked like a chicken with his head cut off and both Harrison and Sanford gave up a number of plays as well.

Winfield is the only guy who played well, but that only lasted for 19 plays before he went out.

Bottom line (Marrdro out to love this one), if you give Rodgers time, he will carve you up. They have too many weapons and Rodgers is too good for most any secondary to keep up. The advantage is always with the receivers if the ball is placed in the right spot. If Winfield and Smith can't play, god help us.

BTW: Great game MN, one of the best games I can remember watching in a long time.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Got a few things to say about this one:

1. Great to see a complete offensive game. Our run game was great as usual, our pass game was actually pretty good. Ponder looked much more decisive, was putting the ball in a good spot, stepping into his throws and not lobbing balls into coverage. Really, just one or two bad balls, one being the TD to Jenkins off his back foot that probably should have gotten picked off. Either way, 234 yards and 3 TDs is a pretty good game for anybody.

2. Defense was streaky. Had some great drives, especially in the first half keeping Rodgers & Co. out of our half of the field. However, at times they looked lost. Too many long balls putting them in range for a FG or TD. Cut those out next week, and we'll be fine. I'm not terribly worried about whatshisname running for 70 yards on us. Some guy coming out of nowhere with no tape will get lucky on a defense not prepared for him. What's important though, is we stepped up when needed.

3. Refs were doing all they could do to give the Packers the game. Only the Vikings can manage to get screwed over on the other side of the 'challenge flag during a turnover" rule.

4. Walsh is clutch. Dude is automatic. I just hope he can play well in the cold, he's never done that before.

5. I actually give the coaches alot of credit. Musgrave called a good game. Peterson had 34 carries, it's not like they were taking the ball away from him. Our Defense was spotty at times, Fraizer seemed to keep the team under control and focused on winning. I'm glad they focused on getting the Win before getting AP the record.

6. Win or lose next week, we are in a good position to make another playoff run next season. We've got some talent at alot of positions, obviously some holes to fill, but thankfully Wright has come on late in the season, making WR less terrible than it had been. Harvin back next season, Simpson + somebody like Bowe would be a good corps to have.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Ok, your like the 8th guy in this thread that is bagging on Jefferson while leaving the rest of the secondary alone in your criticism.

For the record, Jefferson only had one bad series. The last series where GB scored, the one where the camera focused on him. He actually had pretty good coverage as usual, but mugged the WR on one play and didn't look around fast enough on the TD play. If you watch that play and actually see what is going on, that is a damned near impossible play for the CB to defend.

On the other hand, if you go to pro football focus or other sites that measure secondary play you will find that almost every other person in our secondary graded out worse than Jefferson. Sherels especially stunk things up and was completely schooled including the 73 yard bomb to Jordy. Jefferson made the tackle on that play, but it wasn't his responsibility.

Cook got toasted a number of times, Raymond looked like a chicken with his head cut off and both Harrison and Sanford gave up a number of plays as well.

Winfield is the only guy who played well, but that only lasted for 19 plays before he went out.

Bottom line (Marrdro out to love this one), if you give Rodgers time, he will carve you up. They have too many weapons and Rodgers is too good for most any secondary to keep up. The advantage is always with the receivers if the ball is placed in the right spot. If Winfield and Smith can't play, god help us.

BTW: Great game MN, one of the best games I can remember watching in a long time.
    That's how I see it as well.
    I watched the replay of the first game this year at Lamblow, last night. Rodgers picked on Jefferson quite a bit in that game. But Jefferson has improved since then. His coverage is good if he could just get his head around to locate the ball he would be pretty good.
    The problem is that good quarterbacks will always find and exploit your weak spot in the defense.
    If it's Sherels, it will be ugly. If it's Jefferson, they at least stand a chance.
    To have a chance of winning, both Ponder and Peterson need to hold onto the ball in the cold, control time of posession to keep Rodgers on the bench, and the defense needs to bring a lot of pressure on Rodgers.

Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    That's how I see it as well.
    I watched the replay of the first game this year at Lamblow, last night. Rodgers picked on Jefferson quite a bit in that game. But Jefferson has improved since then. His coverage is good if he could just get his head around to locate the ball he would be pretty good.
    The problem is that good quarterbacks will always find and exploit your weak spot in the defense.
    If it's Sherels, it will be ugly. If it's Jefferson, they at least stand a chance.
    To have a chance of winning, both Ponder and Peterson need to hold onto the ball in the cold, control time of posession to keep Rodgers on the bench, and the defense needs to bring a lot of pressure on Rodgers.
    If Winfield doesn't play, look for a really strong game from Jennings. He will beat up on Sherels and the safeties all day. Especially if Smith is limited.

I know Frazier mentioned that Robinson hasn't been playing the nickel spot in practice. But, if Winfield is going to be out, it seems like a more natural fit to put Robinson in the nickle spot and let Cook and Jefferson play corners for nickel coverages.

Raymond really struggled as well, so hopefully Smith will be able to play.

The DL will need to be in Rodger's face all day. Good rotations and different looks should keep this mediocre line on their toes. Rodger's said go ahead pressure me, see how it goes. Bullshit, pressure him, hit him and keep breathing in his earhole and he will get flustered. Griffen will have to keep playing at the level he's been at the last few weeks and the rest of the guys need to step it up a few notches.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Agree with all of it.
    One good hard hit on Rodgers can shake his confidence and change his play. We've seen it before.

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    The last four games are among the most inspired efforts I've seen of the Vikings. Rogers killed us but we managed to eke out a win behind Peterson, Walsh, and Ponder. Zero turnovers was huge. Caught a few breaks as well- the TD pass was a poor decision that Simpson somehow came up with and the Wright "completion" on the deflected ball would have been overturned. But- we CAN beat Green Bay at Lambeau. Get some hits on Rogers, play decent pass defense, and control the ball/clock/keep Rogers on the bench with Peterson. And another zero turnover game and decent quarterbacking by Ponder. There are no dominant teams out there, if we get some breaks we can be in it.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post

Jefferson has been on the field a hell of a lot more than Sherels, he should be playing like a starter and not a guy that plays 8 plays a game. Jefferson consistently gets beat, gives up TD's, or gets flagged for PI. I will guarantee that he gets beat like a red headed step child this Saturday. The guy sucks, and there is a reason why Arizona traded him.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    VKG4LYF,

What part of Wisconsin are you from? I live in GB.

Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis View Post
    Jefferson has been on the field a hell of a lot more than Sherels, he should be playing like a starter and not a guy that plays 8 plays a game. Jefferson consistently gets beat, gives up TD's, or gets flagged for PI. I will guarantee that he gets beat like a red headed step child this Saturday. The guy sucks, and there is a reason why Arizona traded him.
    He's currently #2 on our CB depth chart. Was brought in as a depth guy and put in as a starter when Cook went down. He is now ahead of Robinson.

If you watch his play this last weekend, you will find he is our only corner who took receivers on the line and played them step for step. He sat out the 2nd quarter when he tweaked his ankle and was replaced by Robinson. Robinson played pretty well but did give up a key third down play and another slant pattern where he got too far behind. These were the only completions to this side in the first half. Everything else went against Cook, Sherels or the middle. Jefferson came back out in the second half and I don't think Robinson saw much more time. I would like to see him in place of Sherels the next time Winfield goes down if he can be comfortable playing the inside position. The fumble that Robison caused happened because Rodgers' primary target was blanketed by Jefferson and he was forced to hold on to the ball.

I'm not saying this guy is a lights out shutdown corner. I don't think he was even brought in to be a starting corner. He was brought in for quality depth and has worked his way up.

Take your prejudice of the guy off and just watch him play, you'll see that he has the best cover skills going right now for MN. Cook still hasn't come back to pre-injury form, but is the better corner. Robinson is playing solid, but obviously the coaches aren't as comfortable with him yet.

The two areas that I see Jefferson struggle the most with are making a play on the ball and getting off a block to make a tackle.

Last week, Jefferson wasn't the problem, almost everyone else in the secondary was.

Vandor is offline Waterboy
    Mistral Raymond, is a huge problem in the secondary. I keep re-watching games he has played in, especially last week vs GB. This guy is constantly out of place, takes bad angles, misses tackles and pretty much a liability. How he is ahead of Sanford in the depth chart, I will never know.

Sherels is a good return man, but not a corner that should be matched up with the likes of Jordy Nelson or James Jones. I hope that doesn't continue to happen next game.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast