Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Desertvikingfan is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Post-game Patriots/Vikings articles.

Aside from the dominating performance by the New England Patriots , there was another dominating performance the NFL shouldn't be happy about -- the officiating.

Many people won't like to admit it, but I'll say it: Larry Nemmers' officiating crew is awful. And it wasn't just to the Vikings, though they couldn't catch a break.

There were plenty of suspicious calls, none more so than a phantom offensive pass interference call on Vikings receiver Travis Taylor, and the "incomplete" pass when tight end Jermaine Wiggins converted a third down.

The first play in question came with just over six minutes remaining in the second quarter, with the Vikings trailing 10-0. It was third-and-3. Taylor caught an eight-yard pass, pushing the Vikings up to their 35-yard line. A flag was thrown, and Taylor was called for offensive pass interference. The problem is, the Vikings' receiver never appeared to touch any Patriots defender.

Later on, in the third quarter with the score 24-7 in favor of New England, the Vikings were driving. Wiggins caught a pass that converted a third-and-3. While attempting to run after the catch, the big tight end fumbled the ball out of bounds. At first, the official ruled it a complete pass. After conversing with Patriots coach Bill Belichick, the call was changed. Minnesota challenged. The replay showed a secure catch, a football move, as Wiggins took three steps, before fumbling the ball out of bounds. After review, amazingly, the play was ruled incomplete.

Certainly, the officiating didn't have much of a factor on the game, but it didn't help, either. Perhaps we won't see any more of Larry Nemmers on primetime television

Doesn't explain why they were so awful. Can't figure out why this is excuse is always accepted. Sorry you lost we blew it but don't expect us to improve.
    Hate using the ref card but in this case if the card fits play it.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingFanEric" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    Man, the refs must be PISSED now...they put together one HELL of a game plan to insure a Patsy victory...and not even ONE mention in any of the articles!!!

They should go on strike over this...PLEASE!!!
    There was mention of it here....http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2006/10/vikings-mnfdisaster-patriots311006.html

Aside from the dominating performance by the New England Patriots , there was another dominating performance the NFL shouldn't be happy about -- the officiating.

Many people won't like to admit it, but I'll say it: Larry Nemmers' officiating crew is awful. And it wasn't just to the Vikings, though they couldn't catch a break.

There were plenty of suspicious calls, none more so than a phantom offensive pass interference call on Vikings receiver Travis Taylor, and the "incomplete" pass when tight end Jermaine Wiggins converted a third down.

The first play in question came with just over six minutes remaining in the second quarter, with the Vikings trailing 10-0. It was third-and-3. Taylor caught an eight-yard pass, pushing the Vikings up to their 35-yard line. A flag was thrown, and Taylor was called for offensive pass interference. The problem is, the Vikings' receiver never appeared to touch any Patriots defender.

Later on, in the third quarter with the score 24-7 in favor of New England, the Vikings were driving. Wiggins caught a pass that converted a third-and-3. While attempting to run after the catch, the big tight end fumbled the ball out of bounds. At first, the official ruled it a complete pass. After conversing with Patriots coach Bill Belichick, the call was changed. Minnesota challenged. The replay showed a secure catch, a football move, as Wiggins took three steps, before fumbling the ball out of bounds. After review, amazingly, the play was ruled incomplete.

Certainly, the officiating didn't have much of a factor on the game, but it didn't help, either. Perhaps we won't see any more of Larry Nemmers on primetime television.
    I KNEW that comment would get at least ONE person to read all of the articles!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Brad Johnson calls game embarrassing
    The veteran QB had one of his worst games ever: three interceptions and a 38.1 rating and a trip to the bench early in the fourth quarter.
    Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
    Last update: October 31, 2006
    What can you say after a game like that?
    BJ's comments:

Said Johnson: "I don't know if there is much to say. That's probably one of the most embarrassing games I've been part of. Obviously, they have a very, very good team. I didn't play good, we didn't play good. ... We had a hard time getting a lot of momentum going, and that's pretty much it."
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

What did the refs say?
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"cajunvike" wrote:
    What did the refs say?
    They did not say anything.
    The just all lined up and mooned the fans!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    Yes, the officiating was bad.
    I especially disliked the lack of a defensive pass interference call on BJ's first pick, even though they called it on us in exactly the same spot later in the game.

But I can't buy into the conspiracy theory.
    The refs aren't crooked... just bad.

And the fact of the matter is that with the way we were playing I don't think it made a difference in the outcome of the game.
    yes, footbal is a game of momentum, but we had several chances to grab the momentum (i.e. punt return for TD) just to give it away (ensuing kick...)

The refs certainately didn't help, but we lost this game, not the refs.
    Don't blame the refs that were on the field for our loss.

What you people watching it on TV didn't see, like I did at the game, was that there was another lone ref, in the SE corner behind the grassy knoll, that appeared to be making all the calls.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Yes, the officiating was bad.
    I especially disliked the lack of a defensive pass interference call on BJ's first pick, even though they called it on us in exactly the same spot later in the game.

But I can't buy into the conspiracy theory.
    The refs aren't crooked... just bad.

And the fact of the matter is that with the way we were playing I don't think it made a difference in the outcome of the game.
    yes, footbal is a game of momentum, but we had several chances to grab the momentum (i.e. punt return for TD) just to give it away (ensuing kick...)

The refs certainately didn't help, but we lost this game, not the refs.
    Don't blame the refs that were on the field for our loss.

What you people watching it on TV didn't see, like I did at the game, was that there was another lone ref, in the SE corner behind the grassy knoll, that appeared to be making all the calls.
    Where there any hiding in the parking garges near the dome?

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=13pt]Five reasons the Vikings lost Monday night[/size]

By Eric Krupka on November 1, 2006 12:36 AM
    realfootball365.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"singersp" wrote:
    ...What you people watching it on TV didn't see, like I did at the game, was that there was another lone ref, in the SE corner behind the grassy knoll, that appeared to be making all the calls.
    I knew it.
    I was thinking that may be the case, but I didn't want to say anything until it was verified.
    The damn grassy knoll has to go.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

QB situation, Popeye and injuries
    Tuesday, October 31st, 2006
    by Judd Zulgad

One day after pulling Brad Johnson in the fourth quarter of the Vikings’ 31-7 loss to New England, coach Brad Childress said Tuesday that he planned to start the veteran on Sunday at San Francisco.

Childress said he does not consider himself a ”short hook” guy when it comes to his quarterbacks, but clearly the three interceptions Johnson threw Monday were more than Childress could stomach.

“After coaching quarterbacks over the course of time, I’m not a short-hook guy but by the same token it’s kind of like Popeye, ‘That’s all I can stands, I can’t stands no more,’” Childress said. “And that was it.”

Childress, who really did quote Popeye to perfection, revealed
    the Vikings are banged up coming out of the New England loss.

– Defensive tackle Kevin Williams suffered a high ankle sprain on the second play of the game. “To his credit he fought through,” Childress said. “He’s treating it right now and we’ll just have to see how it goes through the week here. Short week.”

– Middle linebacker Napoleon Harris has a dislocated wrist and a cast has been placed on the injury. “We’ll see how he comes through the week and if he’s able to play here at the end of the week,” Childress said. “We’ll just have to check his comfort level as we go through the week.”

– Center Matt Birk hyperextended his knee.

– Nose tackle Pat Williams has “moderate swellling,” in his knee.

The two biggest concerns likely are Kevin Williams and Harris. If Harris can’t play Sunday at San Francisco, Childress said strong-side linebacker Ben Leber could move to the middle or Dontarrious Thomas could slide into the spot. “We could end up tag teaming that thing but I think that will probably evolve as we go through the week here,” Childress said.

Also, receiver Marcus Robinson (back) continues to rehab his injury but it’s unclear if he will be available Sunday at San Francisco

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12