Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Possible WR Replacements WHEN/IF Rice Walks?

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1099706
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1099677
    I think you have to look at it from a scheme point of view.....I.e. what does Rice bring to the table.

a. Big tall possesion reciever that will work the short to intermediate routes and if necessary go deep if the mismatch is there.

Smith - Giants = to small. Slot guy like Harvin. Not a good fit.
    Jones - EX-PUKER. Nothing else needs to be said.
    Sims-walder - Interesting prospect. Problem for me is why aren't the Jags trying to keep him? It isn't like they have anyone better.

For me - my priority:

a. V. Jackson. Big/Tall Possesion guy. Catches anything close. Can work the inside and outside. Deadly in the red zone.

b. Rice. Same as Jackson. Worry about health reasons.

c. Plex. Same as Jackson. I think he will have something to prove. Question is, will he opt to sign with the Vikes this time around?

d. Braylon. Interesting guy. Has had droppsy issues. If the Jets let him walk, I think he will definately have a chip and might really come to prove something.

e. Stallworth. Crafty vet that would really be a nice target for a rook QB.
    I agree. It is crucial to replace Rice with a receiver who brings the same skill set to the team. Tall third down and red zone possesion type receiver with atheletic ability and great hands.
    Two minor variations on your list for me.

First and foremost, I place Rice at the top of the list despite his injury history. Who are we going to find to replace him that will be as good or better, and want to come play up north with a rookie QB and a rebuilding team?

Other than injury issues Rice has no sognificant diva or off field issues and we know what he fits the scheme as a vital part.

Minnesota should open the wallet for him and do everything possible to keep him.

Second, if he is replaced, I would strongly favor a young player at the end of his first contract over any of the older band aids. I doubt bringing in a guy from the CFL is going to be an immediate answer.
    Ponder will need a go to guy. That guy could be a tight end but more likely Rice would be that guy.

It goes without saying, Rice should have been extended last season.
    How about as a fix/depth behind Rice? We really don't have one of those unless you count Brown, Baskett or Buron.

-- Emmanuel Arceneaux WR 23 6-2 210 R Alcorn State
    19 Hank Baskett WR 28 6-4 220 6 New Mexico
    87 Bernard Berrian WR 30 6-1 185 8 Fresno State
    84 Freddie Brown WR 25 6-4 200 1 Utah
    86 Stephen Burton WR 21 6-1 221 R West Texas A&M
    85 Greg Camarillo WR 29 6-1 190 6 Stanford
    12 Percy Harvin WR 23 5-11 184 3 Florida
    84 Juaquin Iglesias WR 23 6-1 205 2 Oklahoma
    11 Jaymar Johnson WR 26 6-0 176 3 Jackson State
    17 Greg Lewis WR 31 6-0 185 9 Illinois
    18 Sidney Rice WR 24 6-4 202 5 South Carolina
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Macken is offline Waterboy

I value rice way more then a CFLer who played against undersized and slower CBs. he looks promising but adapting to the NFL isnt easy for cflers. What are your thoughts on making a move for Matt Jones? I think in this situation if Rice does walk they are going to have to look at the trade tables for a replacement as the FA field just doesnt offer the same kind of threat that Rice does.
    None

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Matt Jones has done nothing so far, I don't expect he'll all of a sudden become a good player.

here's a list of the WR Free agents, and their rankings by Scout.com
    http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=12&yr=2011&nid=83&lnid=83&rc=16&pi d=16

b_sandhar_29 is offline Starter

One thing that has always got me to stop to think is: What about Jaymar Johnson? I figured with all his injuries by now we would have let him walk. Fitzgerald said he was ready for a breakout year this past year. Never happened with his wrist injury (I think?). In 2009 I also believe Chillar said Jaymar Johnson was the hardest working player on the team. Maybe he's a diamond in the rough waiting for his moment. The kid from the CFL is a pretty interesting prospect and in my opinion draws a lot of comparison to Marques Colston. We may not have the sexiest WR corp, but you never know, the FO could think they have a good enough WR corp and will decide to pursue other positions when FA begins.
    None

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "b_sandhar_29" #1099718
    One thing that has always got me to stop to think is: What about Jaymar Johnson? I figured with all his injuries by now we would have let him walk. Fitzgerald said he was ready for a breakout year this past year. Never happened with his wrist injury (I think?). In 2009 I also believe Chillar said Jaymar Johnson was the hardest working player on the team. Maybe he's a diamond in the rough waiting for his moment. The kid from the CFL is a pretty interesting prospect and in my opinion draws a lot of comparison to Marques Colston. We may not have the sexiest WR corp, but you never know, the FO could think they have a good enough WR corp and will decide to pursue other positions when FA begins.
    Funny (not hahaha but interesting funny) that you would mention JJ. Read something on him this morning.

Jaymar Putting In The Work Again

Edit: at 6' 176 lbs, I don't think he has the skillset Rice provides.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1099715
    Matt Jones has done nothing so far, I don't expect he'll all of a sudden become a good player.

here's a list of the WR Free agents, and their rankings by Scout.com
    http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=12&yr=2011&nid=83&lnid=83&rc=16&pi d=16
    Are we talking about the Matt jones from Jacksonville who hasn't played since 08 and says he's retired?
    Interestingly in his first 4 years he had more catches and yards than Rice but slightly fewer TDs.

Mark_The_Viking is offline Asst. Coach

Seems the common consencus is when not if. be a shame though
    Purple till i die

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Quote Originally Posted by "Mark_The_Viking" #1099723
    I wouldn't say consensus.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1099720
    Quote Originally Posted by "b_sandhar_29" #1099718
    Funny (not hahaha but interesting funny) that you would mention JJ. Read something on him this morning.

Jaymar Putting In The Work Again

Edit: at 6' 176 lbs, I don't think he has the skillset Rice provides.
    Time's running out for JJ. Don't get me wrong, I like the kid, but he's had waht, 3, 4 years now to make an impact? Most players in that situation don't last that long.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "Mark_The_Viking" #1099723
    It would seem so, but we do have this.

Frazier has maintained the Vikings want to retain Rice, and NFL.com’s Steve Wyche told fans during a Thursday chat that he believes the team will be competitive in its effort to keep the four-year veteran.
    “I know this: The Vikings really, really, really want to re-sign Rice, and I know they’ll be competitive in the market place,” Wyche wrote. “I think they’ll have a limit as to how much they’d spend, though. Rice only has been healthy for one season and that is a concern. Still, they know how good he is and how much they’d be hurting if he left. I think he’s back in Minnesota.”

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/06/23/wyche-vikings-will-be-competitive-in-rice-market/
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast