Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    SpaceMTN69 is offline Waterboy

Possible WR Replacements WHEN/IF Rice Walks?

Just wanted to throw a few names out there for you guys and see which ones you would jump on if say the Vikings had a chance. If the money they want to committ to Rice doesnt sway him, I am sure another guy wouldn't mind that contract coming his way. Here are a few names I wouldn't mind on the Vikes roster next season:

Steve Smith (NYG)
    Mike Sims-Walker (JAC)
    Plaxico Burress (FA)
    James Jones (GB)

If there are others who I did not name. feel free to share!
    None

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Possible WR Replacements WHEN/IF Rice Walks?

Braylon Edwards
    Randy Moss (hehe)
    Santana Moss
    Santonio Holmes
    James Jones
    Steve Smith (NYG)
    Steve Smith (CAR)
    TO
    Ocho
    Plaxico Burress

Any of the above can probably be had, and would instantly help out our receiving corps

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I think you have to look at it from a scheme point of view.....I.e. what does Rice bring to the table.

a. Big tall possesion reciever that will work the short to intermediate routes and if necessary go deep if the mismatch is there.

Smith - Giants = to small. Slot guy like Harvin. Not a good fit.
    Jones - EX-PUKER. Nothing else needs to be said.
    Sims-walder - Interesting prospect. Problem for me is why aren't the Jags trying to keep him? It isn't like they have anyone better.

For me - my priority:

a. V. Jackson. Big/Tall Possesion guy. Catches anything close. Can work the inside and outside. Deadly in the red zone.

b. Rice. Same as Jackson. Worry about health reasons.

c. Plex. Same as Jackson. I think he will have something to prove. Question is, will he opt to sign with the Vikes this time around?

d. Braylon. Interesting guy. Has had droppsy issues. If the Jets let him walk, I think he will definately have a chip and might really come to prove something.

e. Stallworth. Crafty vet that would really be a nice target for a rook QB.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Macken is offline Waterboy

All good reasons and i agree with most of them. I dont think VJax wants to come to minny but may change his mind. Plex is just a problem and i hope they dont go that route.

Braylon is also another problem and for a rookie qb having a WR drop as many as balls he does isnt going to be good in his head.

Stallworth isnt a good choice either because i dont think he has the playmaking ability that the vikings are looking for. I may be wrong but we are talking about Donte Stallworth right?

Sims walker would be a great fit but like you said i dont see the jags letting him go in the end.

I sit and continue to pray that they make a move and acquire Eric Decker
    None

Quote Originally Posted by "Macken" #1099692
    All good reasons and i agree with most of them. I dont think VJax wants to come to minny but may change his mind. Plex is just a problem and i hope they dont go that route.

Braylon is also another problem and for a rookie qb having a WR drop as many as balls he does isnt going to be good in his head.

Stallworth isnt a good choice either because i dont think he has the playmaking ability that the vikings are looking for. I may be wrong but we are talking about Donte Stallworth right?

Sims walker would be a great fit but like you said i dont see the jags letting him go in the end.

I sit and continue to pray that they make a move and acquire Eric Decker
    Three things.....

1. Love your posts. Keep them coming.

2. WR issues. Seems that all of the "Good" ones have some sort of "Diva" like quality. I kindof try to ignore that aspect when it comes to the WR position.

3. Eric Decker? Bronco's?/Gophers? If so, loved his size when he was coming out but don't think he is a FA is he?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

No Decker is not a FA but he saw limited time with them last year due to his injury and i dont think the broncos have any plans for him with Royal and Thomas around still. the vikings could pick him up via a trade and not have to give up too much, i mean he is the all time big 10 leading wr...
    None

Quote Originally Posted by "Macken" #1099696
    No Decker is not a FA but he saw limited time with them last year due to his injury and i dont think the broncos have any plans for him with Royal and Thomas around still. the vikings could pick him up via a trade and not have to give up too much, i mean he is the all time big 10 leading wr...
    OK, I'm tracking now.

Interesting idea about trading for him. Right now, though, if I was Ricky Boy I wouldn't get rid of any of my picks, especially for a kid that I passed on already. Were did he go, 4th round or something like that?

I'd rather see what Arceneaux could do. He has experience, albeit not at the NFL level and seems to be cut of the same ilk that Rice, Jackson and Plex are and is a hell of alot cheaper.

The fans, and press, will freak out, however, if Rice gets away and they say that their plan is Arceneaux though. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1099698
    OK, I'm tracking now.

Interesting idea about trading for him. Right now, though, if I was Ricky Boy I wouldn't get rid of any of my picks, especially for a kid that I passed on already. Were did he go, 4th round or something like that?

I'd rather see what Arceneaux could do. He has experience, albeit not at the NFL level and seems to be cut of the same ilk that Rice, Jackson and Plex are and is a hell of alot cheaper.

The fans, and press, will freak out, however, if Rice gets away and they say that their plan is Arceneaux though. :lol:
    Arceneaux? who is this you speak of? i have been out of the loop as of late on the sports side of the world starting this new job.
    None

Quote Originally Posted by "Macken" #1099701
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1099698
    OK, I'm tracking now.

Arceneaux? who is this you speak of? i have been out of the loop as of late on the sports side of the world starting this new job.
    CFL'r they picked up after the season. My guess they were looking for a cheap replacement for Rice or atleast a guy on the roster who could step in of they resigned Rice and he went down.

Vikes Sign Arceneaux to 3 year deal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spWZ9zDX-co

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1099677
    I think you have to look at it from a scheme point of view.....I.e. what does Rice bring to the table.

a. Big tall possesion reciever that will work the short to intermediate routes and if necessary go deep if the mismatch is there.

Smith - Giants = to small. Slot guy like Harvin. Not a good fit.
    Jones - EX-PUKER. Nothing else needs to be said.
    Sims-walder - Interesting prospect. Problem for me is why aren't the Jags trying to keep him? It isn't like they have anyone better.

For me - my priority:

a. V. Jackson. Big/Tall Possesion guy. Catches anything close. Can work the inside and outside. Deadly in the red zone.

b. Rice. Same as Jackson. Worry about health reasons.

c. Plex. Same as Jackson. I think he will have something to prove. Question is, will he opt to sign with the Vikes this time around?

d. Braylon. Interesting guy. Has had droppsy issues. If the Jets let him walk, I think he will definately have a chip and might really come to prove something.

e. Stallworth. Crafty vet that would really be a nice target for a rook QB.
    I agree. It is crucial to replace Rice with a receiver who brings the same skill set to the team. Tall third down and red zone possesion type receiver with atheletic ability and great hands.
    Two minor variations on your list for me.

First and foremost, I place Rice at the top of the list despite his injury history. Who are we going to find to replace him that will be as good or better, and want to come play up north with a rookie QB and a rebuilding team?

Other than injury issues Rice has no sognificant diva or off field issues and we know what he fits the scheme as a vital part.

Minnesota should open the wallet for him and do everything possible to keep him.

Second, if he is replaced, I would strongly favor a young player at the end of his first contract over any of the older band aids. I doubt bringing in a guy from the CFL is going to be an immediate answer.

Ponder will need a go to guy. That guy could be a tight end but more likely Rice would be that guy.

It goes without saying, Rice should have been extended last season.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast