Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Possible trade for big Pat?

Phat Pat last year was the soul of the defense and looked pretty damn fast sliding down the line and talking running backs going around the end. He may not be slim but he plays like he is.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Del Rio Guest

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    I wouldn't be opposed to trading Pat Williams.

I can't justify it for a defensive end. If he can't stay in shape though there really is no point in keeping him around.
    its not really that he cant stay in shape, he was asked to drop around 40 pounds - lost about 15, thats pretty good.

its more a matter of just not meeting the goals set for him rather than not staying in shape, he wasnt "in shape" last year and was arguably the most important member of the defense - they just wanted him slimmer and faster
    It is arguable indeed.

Your right though it's not that he can't stay in shape because he has never been in shape.

The point is even when he was in the shape he was last year he was situational and not able to play every down. So the fact that he is so out of shape they will not let him practice is even worse. It's pretty damn pathetic actually.

I do not think they will trade him, I never said I did, I was merely saying that if they did trade him I wouldn't cry. I understand why he is loved. I can also see that his production while valuable at times is being vastly over emphasized.

The guy needs to get in shape, period. It's not the coaches job to ride his fat ass until he drops a few pounds. It's his resposibility. If he can't do that on his own then that shows a lack of character. I see guys bitching and moaning about players who cry about contracts. This is a worse offense IMO.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

some of you guys read into this wayyy too much..pat isnt at any risk at all of losing his job, so its nothing to worry about..heck these veteran guys hate these camps, he probably did it on purpose..pat is going nowhere, and hes going to return when the season starts and dominate at the line of scrimmage just as he did last season
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

"Del Rio" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    I wouldn't be opposed to trading Pat Williams.

I can't justify it for a defensive end. If he can't stay in shape though there really is no point in keeping him around.
    its not really that he cant stay in shape, he was asked to drop around 40 pounds - lost about 15, thats pretty good.

its more a matter of just not meeting the goals set for him rather than not staying in shape, he wasnt "in shape" last year and was arguably the most important member of the defense - they just wanted him slimmer and faster
    It is arguable indeed.

Your right though it's not that he can't stay in shape because he has never been in shape.

The point is even when he was in the shape he was last year he was situational and not able to play every down. So the fact that he is so out of shape they will not let him practice is even worse. It's pretty gol 'darnit pathetic actually.
    I do not think they will trade him, I never said I did, I was merely saying that if they did trade him I wouldn't cry. I understand why he is loved. I can also see that his production while valuable at times is being vastly over emphasized.

The guy needs to get in shape, period. It's not the coaches job to ride his fat jiggly butt until he drops a few pounds. It's his resposibility. If he can't do that on his own then that shows a lack of character. I see guys bitching and moaning about players who cry about contracts. This is a worse offense IMO.
    they said right off the bat that he was going to be a 1st and 2nd down runstopper..hes never been an every down guy, and they never expected him to do that last season..he doesnt get to the QB, he stops the run, or makes lanes for his other linemen to get to the QB
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

Prophet Guest

There's a difference between being cardiovascularly fit and physically fit. He is neither. It is possible to have the less than ideal physique and be cardivascularly ok. Ideally you would shoot for both, but when you have neither it is pathetic...especially if you're a professional athlete.

"Prophet" wrote:
    There's a difference between being cardiovascularly fit and physically fit. He is neither. It is possible to have the less than ideal physique and be cardivascularly ok. Ideally you would shoot for both, but when you have neither it is pathetic...especially if you're a professional athlete.
    the guy isnt turning into shawn kemp here..the guy has been that size, and has been playing this way his entire professional career..give him a couple weeks and he will be in playing shape again..its not like pat made some drastic change and suddenly cant do his job anymore

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

This isn't worth losing sleep over. Pat did a great job last year. But if he can't stay healthy on his own that's his fault. We can't always go with what happened last year. If we did, Culpepper would have had another 4717 yard season in 2005. If Pat is not in the shape he needs to be in then he will be worthless.

I like Pat and hope he gets his poop straight and stay but if he can't I wouldn't cry if he did get traded.

Prophet Guest

"olson_10" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    the guy isnt turning into shawn kemp here..the guy has been that size, and has been playing this way his entire professional career..give him a couple weeks and he will be in playing shape again..its not like pat made some drastic change and suddenly cant do his job anymore
    Never said it was. The point is that his job is to play football. His only job in the offseason is to come prepared to play the game. He didn't. Not that tough to figure out. I look forward to seeing him play this year, still doesn't change the fact that he should come ready to play.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Prophet" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Never said it was. The point is that his job is to play football. His only job in the offseason is to come prepared to play the game. He didn't. Not that tough to figure out. I look forward to seeing him play this year, still doesn't change the fact that he should come ready to play.
    Like the rest of the team he was warned to come into camp in a position to be able to play. He didn't and so is now paying the penalty for that. He was the mainstay of the DL last year and could be again if he does as is wanted and gets his weight and cardoivascular sorted out. I certainly agree with Del that trading him for another DE is a waste of time
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Like the rest of the team he was warned to come into camp in a position to be able to play. He didn't and so is now paying the penalty for that. He was the mainstay of the DL last year and could be again if he does as is wanted and gets his weight and cardoivascular sorted out. I certainly agree with Del that trading him for another DE is a waste of time
    of all things, that shouldnt even be an option..we have 2 first rounders with some experience under their belt, as well as their health..we dont need anymore DEs, especially since we drafted one late that could have 1st round talent, as well as acquiring dequincy scott, and already having darrion scott on the roster..so il say that i also agree with that statement

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast