Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Possible Moves Next Season!!

Vikings Team Report
    2/12/2006

By Kevin Seifert
    Minneapolis Star Tribune

It will be interesting to see how the team's leadership shapes up at the Indianapolis combine. New vice president of player personnel Fran Foley has not had much experience on the college side, spending most of his career as a pro scout. But Foley will lead the team's contingent to the combine while also working with director of college scouting Scott Studwell. Foley would be wise to take Studwell's advice on evaluating players at the combine as well as organizing the talent reports once coaches and scouts return to the team's facility to begin ranking prospects. In running drafts over the years, Studwell always favored production over potential. Will Foley's philosophy match? The upside is that many of Studwell's draft picks are ready to play right away. Some don't have the upside as players with "potential" might, but they do contribute quickly.

PERSONNEL ANALYSIS: Two potential free agents that might look good in the team's uniform in 2006 are RT Jon Runyan and LG Steve Hutchinson. Both are free agents and could fill needs for the team. Both have experience in the kind of west coast offense coach Brad Childress will run, Runyan with Childress in Philadelphia, Hutchinson in Seattle with Mike Holmgren, and could help solidify the team's line. Runyan is what the team needs at right tackle -- consistency -- and Hutchinson is a mauler who will help improve the inside running game. Runyan and/or Hutchinson would combine with LT Bryant McKinnie and C Matt Birk to provide a veteran, formidable offensive line that would form the cornerstone of a strong offense. . . .

Studwell and his staff have spent a lot of time scouting offensive line prospects. So it seems clear that the team is focusing heavily on improving its offensive line. An elevation of talent would allow new line coach Pat Morris to mold his own group. . . .

DT Spencer Johnson could prove to be an important part of new defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin's cover-2 defense. Johnson is a versatile, quick defensive lineman who doesn't have the size to play full-time in the middle but can create havoc with his quickness. It is essential that cover-2 defenses are active in the middle -- jumping into gaps, beating offensive lineman off the ball -- and Johnson can provide that.

HARD TRUTH: The team should give a lot of thought to moving CB Antoine Winfield to strong safety and re-signing Brian Williams to play cornerback. Winfield is one of the best tackling defensive backs in the game. He hits hard but also executes textbook wrap-up tackles as well. Although he is only 5-8, Winfield's physical nature would allow him to cover much bigger tight ends and running backs, and he certainly would have no trouble tackling them. While Winfield is not poor in coverage, Williams is better and comes up with more big plays. The team's best defensive backfield in 2006 would have Williams and Fred Smoot at cornerback, Darren Sharper at FS Darren Sharper and Winfield at SS

Re: Possible Moves Next Season!!

I like this move of switching Winfield to SS, and resigning B-Williams to play CB. It would solve our problems if Chavous were to leave, and we already know both of these players so we are not taking a gamble..

Del Rio Guest

I think if they move Winfield to SS they might as well keep Chavous there.

Chavous doesn't miss tackles either and he is undersized. The move would make no sense IMO.

Besides having Winfield close to the line makes him more dangerous at ending plays faster. I don't want to move our best tackler further away from the action then he already is.

"Del Rio" wrote:

Chavous doesn't miss tackles either and he is undersized. The move would make no sense IMO.

Besides having Winfield close to the line makes him more dangerous at ending plays faster. I don't want to move our best tackler further away from the action then he already is.
    I agree with ya Rio. The only problem is that Chavous is most likely gone. He didn't like the way the Vikes "treated" him last season, and the rumor is he is not happy with the Vikings. Just like everything else though, it is just rumor.

The thing is, it will be difficult to not atleast offer B-Will to stay. We all know he will not stay as a back-up, so this may be the only way. Another scenario would be to let Chavous walk, keep Winfield as CB, and resign B-Will as SS.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

i wouldnt move winfield to safety. then, yes, you might as well keep chavous back there. what about dustin fox? he good enough to start back there next year?
    We're bringing purple back.

"gregair13" wrote:
    i wouldnt move winfield to safety. then, yes, you might as well keep chavous back there. what about dustin fox? he good enough to start back there next year?

Dustin Fox has alot to learn. He was a rookie, and I believe he got hurt in pre-season. I would rather have someone in there that has experience at the NFL level atleast. Fox is probably not to far off though.

Devonte Edwards in another possible candidate. Who knows what next season will bring, but it is fun now that all the rumors are gonna fly, and the FA period is right around the corner..

Del Rio Guest

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:

I agree with ya Rio. The only problem is that Chavous is most likely gone. He didn't like the way the Vikes "treated" him last season, and the rumor is he is not happy with the Vikings. Just like everything else though, it is just rumor.

The thing is, it will be difficult to not atleast offer B-Will to stay. We all know he will not stay as a back-up, so this may be the only way. Another scenario would be to let Chavous walk, keep Winfield as CB, and resign B-Will as SS.
    I think Chavous is more likely to stick around the B-Will. I am fairly certain B-Will doesn't want anything to do with the Vikings organization at this point.

He will be getting big money from somewhere, just not here.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

How about Ralph Brown at SS?

**BS Meter reading off the charts**

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

The team's best defensive backfield in 2006 would have Williams and Fred Smoot at cornerback, Darren Sharper at FS Darren Sharper and Winfield at SS

While I would love this, I agree with Del Rio. B-Will will probably be moving on. I do think that Winfield would be better than Chavous at SS, but only marginally. I still think our best bet would be to sign or draft a production SS.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

MrGopher16 is offline Hall of Famer

Move makes no sense to me. I'm a fan of big players at the saftey position. 5'8" is not very big. The only thing this works for is keeping b-will here. And as much as it sucks it looks like we're going to just hafta suck it up and watch him go. Too bad for him that he's leaving the soon to be dynasty!! :razz:
    ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast