Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Possibilities

Quote Originally Posted by purple floyd View Post
    one nfl guy on the radio made a pretty good point recently when asked if he would take a lt or a wr that high in the draft.

He stated on every play the best lt in the league can only account for and neutralize one defender. Otoh an elite wr can regularly account for 2 defenders and at times 3. So with that thought he felt a wr that could take the top off a defense had more value to an offense.
    fact
    None

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    He stated on every play the best LT in the league can only account for and neutralize one defender. OTOH an elite WR can regularly account for 2 defenders and at times 3. So with that thought he felt a WR that could take the top off a defense had more value to an offense.
    That's why the guy is on the radio rather than coaching or doing player personnel consulting. It doesn't matter what a receiver can do if the quarterback is on his back - especially when the offensive scheme is so unoriginal as the Vikings' offense is.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    That's why the guy is on the radio rather than coaching or doing player personnel consulting. It doesn't matter what a receiver can do if the quarterback is on his back - especially when the offensive scheme is so unoriginal as the Vikings' offense is.
    And what good is it to be upright if you have nobody that can beat a defender one on one. He was actually a current FO executive with a paying job.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by MossMems View Post
    In order to get the better draft pick, Fraizer has to make sure to play Ponder. Webb could end up giving us a win.
    We didn't win because Webb was under Center. We won cause the O-coord popped his head out of his ass and quit running that damn bunched set look every damn play.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    One NFL guy on the radio made a pretty good point recently when asked if he would take a LT or a WR that high in the draft.

He stated on every play the best LT in the league can only account for and neutralize one defender. OTOH an elite WR can regularly account for 2 defenders and at times 3. So with that thought he felt a WR that could take the top off a defense had more value to an offense.
    Problem is, we have to get rid of Musgrove so that he will put a few 1-1 sets out there so that you have Percy and the New WR (Blackmon) on the field for Ponder to throw to.

I almost shit myself now when I see them continually running 2-3 sets out there and the only WR on the field is Arashomadu. I bet the defensive coordinator on the other side shits himself as well.......1 CB on Arash, the rest in the box.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by midgensa View Post
    That would not be a terrible draft.
    I'd take a DT about were they have us taking a G, however, I agree, it is a good draft.

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ltrey33 View Post
    Unless you have a transcendent star at quarterback, and last time I checked there are about three of them in the NFL, you need a whole lot more than that.

Brees, Manning and Brady. That's where I draw the line at guys that will CARRY your franchise, regardless of the rest of your talent. Even Rodgers, who is having a freakish year, has TREMENDOUS talent on that offense.

So what do you do? Keep wasting picks on quarterbacks, hoping you'll get that once a decade guy? Or do you build talent on the entire team and stick with the guy you drafted last year, who has shown some pretty good things himself?

This team needs a ton of help, and drafting quarterbacks year in and year out won't help us in the long run.
    Amen

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Problem is, we have to get rid of Musgrove so that he will put a few 1-1 sets out there so that you have Percy and the New WR (Blackmon) on the field for Ponder to throw to.

I almost shit myself now when I see them continually running 2-3 sets out there and the only WR on the field is Arashomadu. I bet the defensive coordinator on the other side shits himself as well.......1 CB on Arash, the rest in the box.
    I'll bet you did shit yourself, but that's a different story!
    Musgrave has shown way too many plays that I can only describe as head scratchers, the one you mention above is just one more fine example.
    He seems to think he's going fool defenses by being unconventional.
    I think a team has to be very sound fundamentally before the trick plays work.

As far as possibilities go, I think you have to pick a skill position player when you draft as high as the Vikings will, unless there is a player so gifted he can't be passed up.

Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    I'll bet you did shit yourself, but that's a different story!
    LOL, you crack me up. I used to get drunk during the games, now I find myself drunk enough to crap myself by kickoff......Only way I can watch that mess.

I think a team has to be very sound fundamentally before the trick plays work.
    Damn fine point. They did OK when they were running base 11 sets so the team knows what to do.

I wonder if the lack of pads in practices this year doesn't have something to do with the execution of the "Different" plays he is trying to run.

As far as possibilities go, I think you have to pick a skill position player when you draft as high as the Vikings will, unless there is a player so gifted he can't be passed up.
    Agree, but I would ask a question........Do you consider a lineman as a skilled position? How about a CB?

My feelings on it is that when you draft in the top 5 you have to draft a cat who is going to be on your team (as a starter) atleast for 2 contracts, possibly his whole career.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    LOL, you crack me up. I used to get drunk during the games, now I find myself drunk enough to crap myself by kickoff......Only way I can watch that mess.

Damn fine point. They did OK when they were running base 11 sets so the team knows what to do.

I wonder if the lack of pads in practices this year doesn't have something to do with the execution of the "Different" plays he is trying to run.

Agree, but I would ask a question........Do you consider a lineman as a skilled position? How about a CB?

My feelings on it is that when you draft in the top 5 you have to draft a cat who is going to be on your team (as a starter) atleast for 2 contracts, possibly his whole career.
    I consider people who touch the ball skill position players for the most part. Those players have a higher bust potential but also a higher reward potential.
    There are also position critical players such as QB,LT,C, MLB.
    The main thing is finding someone good enough to warrant signing to a second contract like you said.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast