Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Possibilities

ConnecticutViking is offline Pro-Bowler
    You take Luck! I think Ponder will be a good QB, but Luck has the potential to be great! Dare to be great! The problem here is...We reached for Ponder and there is no way we are getting another #1 back for him. Probably not a number 2.

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by El Vikingo View Post
    Thats a pretty hard decision ,nevermind we are the Vikes If we trade him he would become the next Peyton Manning ,if we keep him expect a Jamarcus Russell 2.0
    This is what I think if we take Luck. I'm sure the Vikes will waste or misuse his talent anyway. Don't underestimate this franchises ability to turn someone into a bust.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Well, taking Luck just became a moot point.

We must if in position take Luck,RGIII,maybe even Moore...we need a good qb...Ponder is the next Pennington.....book it
    None

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lippythelion69 View Post
    We must if in position take Luck,RGIII,maybe even Moore...we need a good qb...Ponder is the next Pennington.....book it
    Don't like RGIII. I see him as a gadget player. A poor mans Vince Young, improved Terrell Pryor. Pass please. We don't need to be killing picks on a QB. Barkley will be coming out next eyar, and we'll have a top-10 pick again then, pick him if we can/need a QB. Hell, maybe Webb might be our guy.

With the rules favoring passing the way they do now you need a stud qb and protection...
    None

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    With the rules favoring passing the way they do now you need a stud qb and protection...
    \

Except outside of Luck, I don't like any of the QB's in the draft as "Stud" QB's. Some will probablywork out pretty well, but none are looking as good as Luck. I'd actually prefer to draft around Ponder this season, give him next year, if he sucks, then we try and get Barkley from USC, if he does well, then maybe we don't need another QB after all.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired
    Unless you have a transcendent star at quarterback, and last time I checked there are about three of them in the NFL, you need a whole lot more than that.

Brees, Manning and Brady. That's where I draw the line at guys that will CARRY your franchise, regardless of the rest of your talent. Even Rodgers, who is having a freakish year, has TREMENDOUS talent on that offense.

So what do you do? Keep wasting picks on quarterbacks, hoping you'll get that once a decade guy? Or do you build talent on the entire team and stick with the guy you drafted last year, who has shown some pretty good things himself?

This team needs a ton of help, and drafting quarterbacks year in and year out won't help us in the long run.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    It stands to figure that we finally get a top 3 pick and it is about 2 deep in elite talent.

Dibbzz is offline Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ltrey33 View Post
    So what do you do? Keep wasting picks on quarterbacks, hoping you'll get that once a decade guy? Or do you build talent on the entire team and stick with the guy you drafted last year, who has shown some pretty good things himself?

This team needs a ton of help, and drafting quarterbacks year in and year out won't help us in the long run.
    Agreed, and even though Joe Webb had a pretty good performance against a shoddy Redskins defense coming in relief, I still believe this is Christian Ponder's team. The reason he has struggled performance wise is due to a discombobulated franchise at this present state. That being an aging and not-so-talented Offensive Line that is doing a terrible job in protecting his blindside and is constantly under pressure. When Ponder had amiable time to throw more often than not this season he has completed as the following chart shows:

Christian Ponder: 2010
    Blitz No Blitz
    Comp pct 55.3 60.9
    Yds per att 6.6 6.9
    TD-Int 8-3 12-5
    Source: ESPN Stats & Information
    Vikings: Christian Ponder under pressure - NFC North Blog - ESPN

When given ample time to throw his completion and Touchdown-to-Interception ratio have significantly increased. Keep in mind, also, of the talent he has to throw to. Though Percy Harvin and Kyle Rudolph are both talented, the other two Wide Receiver slots are very shoddy to say the very least. Devin Aromashodu should not be playing in the NFL. Period. He really really is not a good Wide Receiver at all. Michael Jenkins has been service able, but he's really just a poor man's Vincent Jackson (whom the Vikings should try to get in the offseason, IMO). He'd be a lot better if he wasn't the primary Receiver. If we got, say, DeSean Jackson and had Jenkins as the Number 2 guy he'd get some better numbers, but he's just to slow for this league to be an effective #1 Receiver.

Damn, sorry to get side tracked, lol. Much back to the point, Ponder should be given an ample chance to be the starter for this team. He's played quite well this year with virtually no help. Priority #1 in April's draft is to pray Matt Kalil falls to number 3. If not trade down and hope you get a few more pics. We could then take Jonathan Martin and maybe a solid Cornerback like Alfonzo Dennard or maybe Dre Kirkpatrick. Get a solid Guard like Kelechi Osemele and give Ponder to get some more time. Maybe a decent receiver like Dwight Jones would give the struggling passing game a good kick.

This is going to take a while to get this franchise back on track, unfortunately. Though if we draft well and get some good fill-ins in Free Agency we can hopefully contend again with Ponder the helm. We drafted him for a reason and that is to be the face of our franchise and at times this season he's proved he can do just that. Even Andrew Luck is going to have his growing pains. Even rival Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers wasn't perfect when he first started. And considering that wasn't until after being #2 behind Favre for a couple of seasons. Ponder has started since Week 7. He simply needs help, better coaching and time. Drafting Luck or Griffen does nothing but set this franchise back another 3-4 years as opposed to just 1-2.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast