Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Positivity flows from Childress about offseason

[size=13pt]Patrick Reusse: Positivity flows from Childress about offseason[/size]

Even in the face of skepticism, the Vikings coach has no problem picking out areas where his team has improved in workouts and camps.

By Patrick Reusse, Star Tribune

Last update: June 18, 2007 – 9:36 PM

Vikings coach Brad Childress was asked to identify five things that he learned and felt good about during his team's series of optional workouts, a minicamp and a rookie camp. He came up with a top half-dozen....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Positivity flows from Childress about offseason

I love the optimism, but naturally one has to take it with a grain of salt. Still, I'd be lying if I said hearing about things such as a healthy, bulkier Matt Birk and the progress Frazier is making w/ the D didn't get me a little excited for next season.

Still not sure I buy into the Nike eye treatment thing, though. Childress actually said, "Troy has great hands."

I'll believe that when I see it.

"Greenway is a football player," Childress said. "He's fast. He's strong. He's relentless. Forty minutes after practice is over, you might see him fielding punts.
    Aside from AD, the improved T-Jack & the supposedly "fixed" T-Will, Chad is the player I'm most interested to see. The hype gives me the impression he's an Urlacher type player.

Childress on AD;

"He has the 'wow' factor, and that's something our offense needs."
    Are you ready for some football?

I'm looking forward to seeing how explosive AD is. Taylor is a great pound it out back, but it sounds like AD has the potential & the speed to break more runs for TD's.

It's been a long time coming.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

I liked the quotes about TWill.

"Troy's an elite athlete, or he wouldn't have been a seventh pick in the draft," Childress said. "And now, the things I have seen after his work with the Nike vision people make me optimistic."

The cynic interviewing the coach responded: "He hasn't been looking for Neptune in the night sky. It's a football. Who can't see a football?"

Childress said: "I had some of those thoughts myself, until I saw for myself the things that Dr. [Alan] Reichow and his staff at Nike are doing to study and to assist athletes with vision. There's a difference between looking at an eye chart, and keeping your eyes in focus when you're running and your head is bouncing around.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

"cogitans" wrote:

"Troy's an elite athlete, or he wouldn't have been a seventh pick in the draft," Childress said. "And now, the things I have seen after his work with the Nike vision people make me optimistic."

The cynic interviewing the coach responded: "He hasn't been looking for Neptune in the night sky. It's a football. Who can't see a football?"

Childress said: "I had some of those thoughts myself, until I saw for myself the things that Dr. [Alan] Reichow and his staff at Nike are doing to study and to assist athletes with vision. There's a difference between looking at an eye chart, and keeping your eyes in focus when you're running and your head is bouncing around.
    Makes you feel optomistic, doesn't it? I have no reason to doubt Chilly on this.

"singersp" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:

Makes you feel optomistic, doesn't it? I have no reason to doubt Chilly on this.
    I really don't know what to expect from TWill this season. I just set my expectations low and hope to be wow'd by him this season.

They had to do something about him, and the eye thing were the solution. If nothing else, they are trying to rebuild his confidence.

In my opinion this is still a make or break season for him. Not that he has to become a pro-bowl level player, but he has to step up his game significantly, and show promise of a starting WR.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:
    "Greenway is a football player," Childress said. "He's fast. He's strong. He's relentless. Forty minutes after practice is over, you might see him fielding punts.
    Aside from AD, the improved T-Jack & the supposedly "fixed" T-Will, Chad is the player I'm most interested to see. The hype gives me the impression he's an Urlacher type player.
    I have a feeling that Greenway will have a big year, both because he's a good player, but also because he's going to be playing with a strong defensive line - EJ Henderson said he expects because he said it was so much easier to play the weakside position with the Williams tandem in front of you.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

"cogitans" wrote:

I really don't know what to expect from TWill this season. I just set my expectations low and hope to be wow'd by him this season.
    No expectations, no disapointments.

"singersp" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:

No expectations, no disapointments.
    That's the plan.

I defended him last year, and it turned out bad. This season I'm just looking for the team to show improvement from last year.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast