Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Re: Positives from the Vikes in pre-season.

I'll say this. Defensively, there are a ton of positives, as far as individual play of the players(except brian williams), but a ton of negatives, when talking team play by the D. The players look much better individually, but since there are 5 new starters(6 if you count EJ moving to WLB), the team D will look pretty sketchy until they learn to play together. This is what I have seen defensively so far. A lot of mental mistakes, not physical. We have the beef inside to stop the run, which we didn't have in previous seasons. We also have the speed to stop the outside runs. We have the D-lineman to pressure the QB and we have the secondary to man the WR's. We really have, individually, everything you need for a great defense. Just give them time to gell and they will look much better. Also, we have been playing a pretty vanilla style of D so far in preseason too, which is suppose to change once the regualr season begins, according to cottrell.

Offensive line justs baffles me how bad they are playing, when Tice is a former O-line coach and a very good one at that. Is it hurting our O-line, having Loney as the O-coordinator and O-line coach? I can't see that it would help. I have never been a fan of having a coach doing 2 different things for a team, it never seems to work. I think McKinnie and Marcus Johnson have both played pretty well, but the others haven't looked very good at all. Hopefully now that we have our unit set, they can gain chemistry and start playing better together. Again, like the D players, the O-line isn't about individual play, it is about group play.

Those are really the only negatives I have seen that really worry me come season time. The ST's coverage has been up and down, but that is an improvement over the past years where we were down all the time. It's really hard to judge ST's coverage in preseason anyways, because there are a lot of young guys out there that aren't gonna be in the NFL when it comes regular season time. Punting, kicking and FG's have been much better then we have had in the past few years, which is incouraging.

I still worry about our play on the road too. We always seem to play horrible on the road, turning the ball over and having way more penalties, which happened in our 2nd preseason game. I always say that points directly to coaching, but hopefully I am wrong and we can get that stuff fixed when on the road this year too.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

I also don't know why everyone is so down on robinson? I think he has done a fine job in there this preseason and done what he has been asked to. He has done a great job of blocking and caught almost every ball thrown to him. I think it is just the great play of Travis Taylor, Williamson and Burleson that has made people so down on Robinson, but He looks alright to me.

He will be our redzone target and, along with williamson, our deep threat WR. I think he is still gonna have a good impact on this offense this year.

The biggest positive of the preseason: Michael Bennett getting injured. finally, he is out of the way of Mwelde Moore. His pitiful stats reek up the back field. Frankly, I'm glad Mwelde will get a little playing time.
    Have you ever had a Big Kahuna Burger?

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

"DoraTheExplorer" wrote:
    The biggest positive of the preseason: Michael Bennett getting injured. finally, he is out of the way of Mwelde Moore. His pitiful stats reek up the back field. Frankly, I'm glad Mwelde will get a little playing time.
    umm..

so what if mewelde gets hurt? fason is already hurt. sooo.. then would you still want bennett hurt? cause then we'd have to rely on moe as the start or echemondu.

its sad when you wish pain upon one of our own troops. Here's hoping you change your ways. :???:
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

eelpout72 is offline Starter

"tastywaves" wrote:

5) Adimchinobe Echemandu --- gotta love saying that name. He was impressive in a banger style of running against the Chargers. This guy is built for 30+ carries a game. Like to see a kid who plays this hard make the team.
    Pass blocking has been pretty good too. It seems like there are times when Culpepper can sit back there for ever without any pressure.

Yes, Adim-"obi-wan"-chinobe Echemandu is a great name.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"webmaster" wrote:
    "Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    I dont feel like typing that much,
    testing those bongs again I see.

Oh u know it man! Just picked up a sick ass glass twist graphix bong! :lol:

WBLVikeBabe is offline Jersey Retired

"tastywaves" wrote:
    Seen a lot of posts on concerns people have with different areas of the vikings right now. On the positive side here's what I've seen so far:

1) Daunte Culpepper is the man, with him running the offense you gotta believe the Vikings are going to put points on the board.
    2) Deep receiving corps. I've yet to see a dropped ball by a Vikings receiver in the pre-season. Burleson impresses me, Taylor impresses me, Williamson has shown flashes of brilliance, Robinson hasn't made the catches I would have liked to seen, but he's being productive with yardage (defensive penalties on his man, good yardage on simple routes). Even the 5-6 guys like howry and hoag don't drop the balls. TE's same thing, they all catch it. With culpepper delivering the ball you just want to know your guys are going to catch it.
    3) Defensive talent. No they haven't gelled yet, but I've seen a lot of great individual talent. P. Will much needed. Quarterback pressures and sacks at times look impressive. E. james I think will make big plays this year. The linebacking corps is better than last year (still have a long ways to go in understanding their reads). I'll leave the d-backs out for now as the games I've seen haven't shown me much there yet (although I believe this will be one of our biggest strengths as the year goes on and will highlight a lot of the linemans talents by giving them a chance to bounce the quarterback around).
    4) Edinger. Hey we might have a field goal kicker. Not saying he's the best in the league, but 4-4 with a 50 yarder is better then I've seen in a long time with the Vikes.
    5) Adimchinobe Echemandu --- gotta love saying that name. He was impressive in a banger style of running against the Chargers. This guy is built for 30+ carries a game. Like to see a kid who plays this hard make the team.
    Nicely said, I would completely agree with you on all of that!

[move]My beautiful sig made by the one and only PPE![/move]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12