Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    ajefx is offline Rookie

Re: Positives thusfar

I was very excited by our special teams today...
    <<Hates Ted Cottrell with a passion

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

before he blasted the one for 71 yards and a TD he averaged 2.9 ypc. That is nothing great. We held there team to 2.5 ypc up till that run.

So what if he ran for a td on that play, the only reason he got the score was because we put everyone up on the line to shoot gaps and hope that we stop him before he gained a yard, and had no safeties left in the backfield. it was a big gamble that didnt payoff. To me it makes no difference if he would have gained one yard or a TD, either one would have won the game.-smootpepper

thank you i dont even need to school him to some knowledge

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:
    before he blasted the one for 71 yards and a TD he averaged 2.9 ypc. That is nothing great. We held there team to 2.5 ypc up till that run.

So what if he ran for a td on that play, the only reason he got the score was because we put everyone up on the line to shoot gaps and hope that we stop him before he gained a yard, and had no safeties left in the backfield. it was a big gamble that didnt payoff. To me it makes no difference if he would have gained one yard or a TD, either one would have won the game.-smootpepper

thank you i dont even need to school him to some knowledge
    Point is...we gave up 148 yrds to "Cadillac" with a 5.5 ypc :evil: , and Bennet had -1 yard rushing ops: , so take your "taken out of context" stats and (insert insult here). :grin:

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

"PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    All that work (smackin' his wife) in the offseason for K. Williams is really paying off!!
    Not funny in the least.
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

The good thing is, none of these negatives are really THAT bad.

If you had done this the last few years, it would've been the offense is looking great, we're scoring 65 points a game, but oh no, our defense is allowing 66.

And there was nothing we could do. Most of our players on defense sucked, our co-ordinators sucked (and maybe still does) and in the end, everything on defense sucked.

But that's not the case here. One of the biggest negatives was Daunte Culpepper. He had 5 turnovers, which is simply unacceptable. But that's not going to be the usual - we all know what Daunte is capable of. The O-line is going to get better, it won't be as good as years past because we lost Birk, but it will be a lot better than today.

So don't all jump off the bandwagon yet! :lol:

Thanks PPE for the sig.

wegzta is offline Waterboy

You guys forget that things are a lot different on defense and offense. It will take a few games to gain team chemistry. Some positives so far is that we finally are turning the ball around and that Robinson has not played yet. Also my boy Troy still has to get into the mix. Also we didnt even tickle our running backs. Everybody is blaming Culpepper when a few routes were missed and the line was crap.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

The biggest positive has to be that we played as bad as we possibly can on offense and had a shot at winning the game at the very end, thanks to our D and special teams.

With the exception of a few big plays given up by brian williams(what's new!), our secondary coverage was the best it's been in years. Our run D was also as strong as it has been in awhile, especially up the gut, thanks to Pat Williams. Although for some reason we decided to play our worst series against the run, when they were running the clock out. That is classic vikes though, can't stop the run when we know they are gonna run it.

Cottrell called a pretty darn good game, mixing it up and confusing Tampa.

Pass rush was kind of disappointing though and where the he!! was Erasmus James? We had them on a ton of 3rd and longs, yet no Erasmus at all? The guy is our speed rushing DE, and we used a 1st round pick on him for a reason. I didn't get why he didn't play a snap even.

LBer's did a good job IMO. They made a few mistakes on coverage, but weren't beaten horribly like we are use to seeing from them.

Sharper played like a beast out there and looked like he has been rejuvinated by the move from GB to us. He hit and tackled much better then I have seen him do for quite some time.

Kluwe punted awesome today. He got the punts off quickly, nailed all of them solidly, and put a lot of hang time on all of them. He looks like he has a bright future in the NFL and our front office deserves some props for finding him. He looks a he!! of a lot better then the kid the packers waisted a 3rd round pick to get.

Edinger did great on FG's and finally gives us that kicker that can make 50+ yarders with regularity, so we aren't forced to punt or go for it on 4th all the time. His kickoffs were inconsistent though. Some were really good and others were line drives. Luckily our kickoff coverage was excellent throughout the game.

Offensively, I don't know if there was a positive from anyone. Burleson played absolutely horrible. He missed 3 or 4 checkdowns by daunte, causing 2 turnovers(the int and the fumble that daunte had, when he had to try and stop his pass out in the flat, because burleson ran the wrong route). Robinson was one bright spot and I guess wiggins again had a good game, and should have had a TD. Travis Taylor didn't do very much, but who knows if he got open or not today, since daunte never had time to see him if he actually did. Williamson seemed to be pushed around at the line by Tampa's DB's and had a hard time getting off the line. You could tell Daunte wanted to try and get him the ball deep, but he couldn't get off the line quick enough and daunte just had too much pressure to wait for him to get open. It would be nice to see us use williamson a little better next week, like on some quick slants or some bubble screens, where he can use his speed and elusiveness to run after the catch.

The whole O-line looked pretty bad. Rosenthol didn't do too bad and looked much better then he did in preseason. McKinnie was beat a few times by rice, but every tackle in the NFL can say that. I think he held up pretty well. Inside though, we were absolutely killed. They pushed our middle around all day long. Marcus Johnson looked like a rookie in there, but more like an undraffted rookie FA and not a 2nd round pick. Withrow was pushed around by hovan, which is pathetic. Lewinski didn't do much better either. Goldberg seem to provide a spark off the bench though, which is good to see. Hopefully he can build off that fro next week. I sure hope we can get that Folwer kid ready to go soon, because withrow just aint gonna cut it, if we want to have any chance of running the ball inside.

Daunte, well it just seemed to be one of those days for him. We all seem to have those days where we just can't seem to do anything right, and this was one of those days for daunte. People will try and say he struggled because we didn't have moss or because linehan is gone, but I am not buying it at all. Daunte just had a bad game, period, end of sentence. We still had a shot at winning the game, against a good football team IMO.

RB's didn't do much. Moe did a great job in his few touches, except for his suprising fumble at the end. Bennett didn't do anything running the ball, but looked good on screen passes as usual. He actually broke a few tackles on that one, wow! Don't know why Mewelde moore didn't get into the game. And we were never down in this game by a lot, so I don't like the play calling by loney. Never stop running the football, when the game is within reach, even if it isn't working. That runing still opens up the play action and also as D's wear down, it is usually easier to hit a big run later in the game. We have to run more, regardless of if it is working or not. I could of swore that is what loney and tice said we were gonna do?

We can't let this game get us down though guys. It was the first game of the year and we had a ton of new guys starting for us this season, so it isn't gonna be great right away.

All teams, even good or great ones have these days. I remember the year that NE won a SB, they were beat by a crappy buffalo team BADLY in week 1, like 38-0 or something like that.

This should be a good character test for our football team, since we are use to coming out of the gates firing on all cylinders.

One more thing, WHAT HAPPENED TO THE QB DRAW? Man that use to be such an awesome weapon for us when inside the 10 yard line, but it seems like we haven't ran it since daunte hurt his back in that detroit game a few years ago. I was screaming for that today a number of times.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"shockzilla" wrote:
    All that work (smackin' his wife) in the offseason for K. Williams is really paying off!!
    Not funny in the least.
    Somebody's back to their old self!

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "shockzilla" wrote:
    Not funny in the least.
    Somebody's back to their old self!
    Ultra and Shock

smootpepper is offline Pro-Bowler

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    The biggest positive has to be that we played as bad as we possibly can on offense and had a shot at winning the game at the very end, thanks to our D and special teams.

With the exception of a few big plays given up by brian williams(what's new!), our secondary coverage was the best it's been in years. Our run D was also as strong as it has been in awhile, especially up the gut, thanks to Pat Williams. Although for some reason we decided to play our worst series against the run, when they were running the clock out. That is classic vikes though, can't stop the run when we know they are gonna run it.

Cottrell called a pretty darn good game, mixing it up and confusing Tampa.

Pass rush was kind of disappointing though and where the he!! was Erasmus James? We had them on a ton of 3rd and longs, yet no Erasmus at all? The guy is our speed rushing DE, and we used a 1st round pick on him for a reason. I didn't get why he didn't play a snap even.

LBer's did a good job IMO. They made a few mistakes on coverage, but weren't beaten horribly like we are use to seeing from them.

Sharper played like a beast out there and looked like he has been rejuvinated by the move from GB to us. He hit and tackled much better then I have seen him do for quite some time.

Kluwe punted awesome today. He got the punts off quickly, nailed all of them solidly, and put a lot of hang time on all of them. He looks like he has a bright future in the NFL and our front office deserves some props for finding him. He looks a he!! of a lot better then the kid the packers waisted a 3rd round pick to get.

Edinger did great on FG's and finally gives us that kicker that can make 50+ yarders with regularity, so we aren't forced to punt or go for it on 4th all the time. His kickoffs were inconsistent though. Some were really good and others were line drives. Luckily our kickoff coverage was excellent throughout the game.

Offensively, I don't know if there was a positive from anyone. Burleson played absolutely horrible. He missed 3 or 4 checkdowns by daunte, causing 2 turnovers(the int and the fumble that daunte had, when he had to try and stop his pass out in the flat, because burleson ran the wrong route). Robinson was one bright spot and I guess wiggins again had a good game, and should have had a TD. Travis Taylor didn't do very much, but who knows if he got open or not today, since daunte never had time to see him if he actually did. Williamson seemed to be pushed around at the line by Tampa's DB's and had a hard time getting off the line. You could tell Daunte wanted to try and get him the ball deep, but he couldn't get off the line quick enough and daunte just had too much pressure to wait for him to get open. It would be nice to see us use williamson a little better next week, like on some quick slants or some bubble screens, where he can use his speed and elusiveness to run after the catch.

The whole O-line looked pretty bad. Rosenthol didn't do too bad and looked much better then he did in preseason. McKinnie was beat a few times by rice, but every tackle in the NFL can say that. I think he held up pretty well. Inside though, we were absolutely killed. They pushed our middle around all day long. Marcus Johnson looked like a rookie in there, but more like an undraffted rookie FA and not a 2nd round pick. Withrow was pushed around by hovan, which is pathetic. Lewinski didn't do much better either. Goldberg seem to provide a spark off the bench though, which is good to see. Hopefully he can build off that fro next week. I sure hope we can get that Folwer kid ready to go soon, because withrow just aint gonna cut it, if we want to have any chance of running the ball inside.

Daunte, well it just seemed to be one of those days for him. We all seem to have those days where we just can't seem to do anything right, and this was one of those days for daunte. People will try and say he struggled because we didn't have moss or because linehan is gone, but I am not buying it at all. Daunte just had a bad game, period, end of sentence. We still had a shot at winning the game, against a good football team IMO.

RB's didn't do much. Moe did a great job in his few touches, except for his suprising fumble at the end. Bennett didn't do anything running the ball, but looked good on screen passes as usual. He actually broke a few tackles on that one, wow! Don't know why Mewelde moore didn't get into the game. And we were never down in this game by a lot, so I don't like the play calling by loney. Never stop running the football, when the game is within reach, even if it isn't working. That runing still opens up the play action and also as D's wear down, it is usually easier to hit a big run later in the game. We have to run more, regardless of if it is working or not. I could of swore that is what loney and tice said we were gonna do?

We can't let this game get us down though guys. It was the first game of the year and we had a ton of new guys starting for us this season, so it isn't gonna be great right away.

All teams, even good or great ones have these days. I remember the year that NE won a SB, they were beat by a crappy buffalo team BADLY in week 1, like 38-0 or something like that.

This should be a good character test for our football team, since we are use to coming out of the gates firing on all cylinders.

One more thing, WHAT HAPPENED TO THE QB DRAW? Man that use to be such an awesome weapon for us when inside the 10 yard line, but it seems like we haven't ran it since daunte hurt his back in that detroit game a few years ago. I was screaming for that today a number of times.
    Good review man, I agree with all of that. I guess we'll just have to see how we play next week. I hope things come together and we're as good as we think we will be.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast