Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    ncviking is offline Training Camp

A Positive Take...

After watching the game yesterday I came up with an observation…

People who say defense wins championships are full of it. Maybe in hockey or baseball, a hot goaltender or pitcher can carry an average team to a title (see Marlins)…but not in football. You need to be stellar and deep at every spot. Sometimes an obnoxiously dominant D or O can compensate a little, like the 85 Bears, 00 Ravens … even the 98 Vikes… but this is very rare, and still they had at least reliable pieces everywhere else. With the 07 Vikes, two of the three pieces may be quietly in place, and the other is being slowly molded.

In the Tice/Green era, only the 98 team had most pieces, but more often then not, a crappy D and ST was the norm with a hot O. With this team the D and ST are pretty solid. The trenches are firm on both sides of the ball. Are they perfect? Not yet. We need more consistent pass rush from the ends (go Robison and Edwards!) and more experience on the right side of the O-line. But the foundation is there and this is the first and most crucial area on the team to nail down. The Vikes also have some veteran playmakers and some very promising young players on D. They’ve got the toughest part of defense (stopping the run) nailed down to an art form. It’s not just Kevin and Pat stuffing runners either; we have stellar run-stuffing and tackling coming from our LBs and DBs. The D is only some scheming and experience away from being “Bears-like” dominant. Special teams? Reliable kicker, booming punter and more reliable kick-coverage seems to be in place.

On the offense-side, if you peel away the layers here, you realize that there was no real experience out there on offense beyond the O-line. A virtual-rook QB, rookie running back, untested tight end (sans Kliensasser), hot-prospect-only rookie receivers and a couple of veteran #3-only receivers (sans TWilliamson who should only be returning kicks). Even Chester Taylor, when healthy again, has only one year as a starter under his belt. I am not yet ready to say that we have no players because in time, many of them could be very good. It seems Childress has completely dismantled our offense to start molding something from scratch. I liken this O to Dallas after Johnson got there and the Walker trade.
    Lot’s of talented, unproven, inexperienced players cutting their teeth all at the same time. As the unit gels, matures and lives up to it’s potential, with TJack getting comfortable, Rice, Williamson and Allison making plays, and Peterson wreaking havoc, things could get very good in a year or two. Remember Dallas went 1-15 before later winning 3 Super Bowls.

Bottom line: Let’s all see how it plays out. We probably won’t make the playoffs this year, but we may be pleasantly surprised by the progress at the end of the season - we may not be as far away as it seems. But, as with anything including football, most want quick results… continued slow progress with the O could eventually cost Chilly his job.

Desertvikingfan is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: A Positive Take...

Nice post on an otherwise tough day!
    However, you didn't need to remind me of this.
    Remember Dallas went 1-15 before later winning 3 Super Bowls.
    I HATE Dallas.

vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer

"ncviking" wrote:
    (sans TWilliamson who should only be returning kicks).

Why is everyone still attacking Williamson.. He actually did his job the last two weeks...

Justin_Jgh is offline Rookie

"vikes2456" wrote:
    "ncviking" wrote:
    (sans TWilliamson who should only be returning kicks).

Why is everyone still attacking Williamson.. He actually did his job the last two weeks...
    The WR are doing their job.

T-Jack needs to start doing his, hitting them in the numbers, not making crazy mistakes.

Heck, all he has to do right now is get it to our WRs short, and maybe the occasional deep ball, even if not caught, will make the D respect the passing game.

But we are not doing that.

We are a good team, but we have to do THE LITTLE THINGS (Heard this before fellow Twins fans?) to win the game.

Bottom Line.

Here is a real positive take. Williamson was hangin on to the ball! Awesome! Robinson, and in 2 weeks time, I will be sitting in downtown Minneapolis consuming Crown-n-Cokes and pounding beers with some cool folks (the P.P.O crowd) Then I get to watch the Purple SLAY the packers while also watching #44 added to the Ring of Honor at halftime. It doesn't get much more POSITIVE then that ;D
    Tuco the world.....

Big C is offline Coordinator

Nice post ncviking. I whole-heartedly agree. TJ has to go through the learning process at some time. Maybe that should have been last year, but we all thought BJ gave us a better chance. I'm in this thing for the long haul though. If I am convinced of anything after 2 weeks this season, it's that the Defense is pretty solid, and Peterson IS the real deal.

I am truly suprised that we had Williamson as the #2 WR instead of Rice this week. Rice has a higher chance of making the tough throws TJ makes (he can be a little erratic sometimes).
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Excellent post.

It's a nice change of pace from

"Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"

and

"Fire chilly, bench TJack" "We suck"

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

no reason to throw in the towel for the season on one game.
    We're bringing purple back.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Tell it brother!!!

We need more level-headedness around here.

davike is offline Team Alumni

"Mr" wrote:
    Excellent post.

It's a nice change of pace from

"Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"

and

"Fire chilly, bench TJack" "We suck"
    No kidding. The game wasn't even over when all the "bench Jackson" "Fire Childress
    " bullshit began. I am fine with well thought of, intelligent, helpfull criticism, but what is going on around here in some of these threads is not even close. I can't stand to even read such ignorant bullshit. Some of these people seem to only come on after a game like this to post their hate. Its one friggen game!!!

Good job with the optimism NCViking. I can't agree with some of your ideas, but it seems to be well thought of and it came from a positive stand point.

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast