singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Ponder's preseason snap total

On Christian Ponder's preseason snap total

On Christian Ponder's preseason snap total - NFC North Blog - ESPN

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Why do rebuilding teams (like the Minnesota Vikings) want to hold out their starters for the final preseason game?
    At the risk of being labeled "Mr. Negative", I agree with him. Ponder just got done stating that the team still has a lot of work to do, which I fully agree with.

With that said, I believe they should be playing at least 1/2 of the game tonight to work on some of those issues, rather than waiting to work on them during the regular season.

Since Childress took over in 2006, we've rested a lot of our starters the final preseason game, only to look flat & unprepared for the most part in the season opening game.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    At the risk of being labeled "Mr. Negative", I agree with him. Ponder just got done stating that the team still has a lot of work to do, which I fully agree with.

With that said, I believe they should be playing at least 1/2 of the game tonight to work on some of those issues, rather than waiting to work on them during the regular season.

Since Childress took over in 2006, we've rested a lot of our starters the final preseason game, only to look flat & unprepared for the most part in the season opening game.
    I think that went on for most of Chilly's tenure and it was all season....wasn't it called some like the kill me offense or something, only it didn't last all season in 2009 when the circus came to town

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post

I think there are 2 reasons for it.

1) They have to make a lot of roster decisions, and this game is the last chance for the bubble players to get playing time in before evaluation.

2) The risk of injury is higher, particularly because the bubble players referenced in #1 are doing everything they can to stand out in the coaches eyes, and sometimes that includes taking unneeded risks.

With that said, I do understand the benefit to playing starters more when you are in a rebuilding phase, like we are. And if we had full time refs right now, I might be swayed. However, with these replacement refs missing calls I think the risk of injury to our starters would outweigh the benefits.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni
    We looked flat and unprepared throughout Chilly's tenure. Frazier's hasn't been any better.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThorSPL View Post
    We looked flat and unprepared throughout Chilly's tenure. Frazier's hasn't been any better.
    Leads me to believe talent is largely to blame.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Leads me to believe talent is largely to blame.
    Talent in players, talent in coaching, or both?

Someone could get hurt, and I would not start the starters if I this was a veteran team, but this is not a veteran team.

Ponder is a second year QB, his starting left tackle is a rookie, and his receivers are not set. Put in some good protection sets for the blindside and make sure Ponder goes down if touched at all. There is no need to be a hero, but the Vikings need the work.

Allen and Williams should sit.

Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I think there are 2 reasons for it.

1) They have to make a lot of roster decisions, and this game is the last chance for the bubble players to get playing time in before evaluation.
    I understand the need to get a look at the bubble players, but believe there's plenty of time for that in the second half. Several of the positions are starting positions & I'm pretty sure they have a pretty good handle on who is out front & who is not.

I'm sure there are some competitions too close to call right now, but not that many & some competitions can't really be decided by tonight's play because we have quite a few who are injured. I know they stated they had to scout the wire just to find enough bodies to play safety tonight.