Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Ponder's confidence is growing

Christian Ponder's confidence is growing

Vikings: Christian Ponder's confidence is growing - CBSSports

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

“The way he's reading routes, getting the ball out quick -- way quicker than last year,” Harvin said. “It's helping the offense be faster.
    I like hearing this. I just hope he can carry it over from practice into real game day play & improve his accuracy as well.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni
    Definantly getting better at reading pre-snap defense, and getting the ball out, good to hear he is also more in sync with the recievers getting the ball to them when they come out of their break.

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer
    Seeing far too many "underthrown by Ponder" comments coming out from the media covering it, which is very worrying as his arm strength and accuracy were massive issues last years. Hoping he gets it together, and soon.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson14 View Post
    Seeing far too many "underthrown by Ponder" comments coming out from the media covering it, which is very worrying as his arm strength and accuracy were massive issues last years. Hoping he gets it together, and soon.
    What media sources? I haven't been seeing that. Truthfully I haven't seen much about Ponder - most of the news I am seeing has to do with all the injuries... Glad I am not seeing Ponder's name in that.

Also, arm strength wasn't really an issue last year, although accuracy was. The whole arm strength thing came from his senior year in college when he played with a shoulder injury. His arm last year was fine. He isn't going to be throwing it 90 yards, but he isn't exactly Brad Johnsoning it either... :P
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Also, arm strength wasn't really an issue last year, although accuracy was. The whole arm strength thing came from his senior year in college when he played with a shoulder injury. His arm last year was fine. He isn't going to be throwing it 90 yards, but he isn't exactly Brad Johnsoning it either... :P
    Throwing it deep was never an issue. How he threw it was. It was his propensity to float or lob the ball downfield without much velocity behind it that is in question.

Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson14 View Post
    What media sources? I haven't been seeing that. Truthfully I haven't seen much about Ponder
    I've seen it here and there from things I've read critiquing his bad passes, but it didn't say that he was missing a lot of passes. This was a recent one...

Ponder's game wasn't all smiles, though. In consecutive plays, he underthrew Harvin, then overthrew a wide open Jerome Simpson, who busted past corner Brandon Burton and safety Jamarca Sanford.
    At least recently, his overall completion percentage in drills is still good, but practice doesn't necessarily mean game day will be the same.

Ponder was 8/12 in team drills, bringing him up to 41/65, which is 63%. He was 7/7 in the 7v7 drills.
    Last edited by singersp; 08-06-2012 at 07:09 AM.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I've seen it here and there from things I've read critiquing his bad passes, but it didn't say that he was missing a lot of passes. This was a recent one...

At least recently, his overall completion percentage in drills is still good, but practice doesn't necessarily mean game day will be the same.
    Yeah, that lines up with what I have been seeing. It isn't necessarily his arm strength that is the issue, but his accuracy on longer passes.

Looking forward to seeing him in at least some limited action on Friday. I am not expecting him to tear the niners up, but I would like to see some decent play...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

MrFlix is offline Training Camp Dynamite Blast 2 Champion
    I think what you all say are very true arguments with issues that Ponder strugled with last season. However I think some of these issues go hand in hand with confidence, and if he builds up that confidence those issues might get better.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Let's make this clear. Christian Ponder can gun the ball!
    I've seen it many times. And real experts agree. His arm strength is not an area we should worry about. For Christ sake! we have enough holes to fix already. Let's not make up imaginary problems!

Peace to the Viking nation!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast