Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    The fact we're having this discussion at all is telling in and of itself.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by purplehelmut View Post
    THANK YOU!!!!..... Seeing guys like Wilson, RG3, Luck, even Kirk Cousins (all rookies) come in and play well for their teams and then seeing a guy like Ponder throw the ball. Check down after check down. locking in on 1 receiver and getting jumpy in the pocket when the 1 guy isn't open is so frustrating. A couple of those passes yesterday were ridiculous... specifically the high pass to Simpson that went way over his head on 3rd down not giving him a chance to get the first down are staples of Ponder's ineptitude. I hope we get rid of this guy next year but I doubt it...

But yeah, the fact we are even having this conversation is cause for pause...

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by purplehelmut View Post
    It's all so familiar isn't it? Didn't we just go through something like this with a guy who had the initials TJ? Oh what was his name? It's deja vu all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    THANK YOU!!!!..... Seeing guys like Wilson, RG3, Luck, even Kirk Cousins (all rookies) come in and play well for their teams and then seeing a guy like Ponder throw the ball. Check down after check down. locking in on 1 receiver and getting jumpy in the pocket when the 1 guy isn't open is so frustrating. A couple of those passes yesterday were ridiculous... specifically the high pass to Simpson that went way over his head on 3rd down not giving him a chance to get the first down are staples of Ponder's ineptitude. I hope we get rid of this guy next year but I doubt it...

But yeah, the fact we are even having this conversation is cause for pause...
    You forgot always throwing off his back foot. And not that I'm trying to defend Ponder, but I heard on that 3rd down pass to Simpson, Simpson cut the route short. Again maybe Ponder should have recognized that, but partial blame should go to Simpson.

I think the larger point about Ponder is, what are we going to do if AD gets injured again or if his production starts to decline in a few years? Do we hope Ponder can finally throw by then or do we hope we end up drafting another beast like AD that can keep carrying the offense? AD can't carry this team forever and eventually we're going to be in a situation where we need a QB to step up and carry the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
    It's all so familiar isn't it? Didn't we just go through something like this with a guy who had the initials TJ? Oh what was his name? It's deja vu all over again.

You forgot always throwing off his back foot. And not that I'm trying to defend Ponder, but I heard on that 3rd down pass to Simpson, Simpson cut the route short. Again maybe Ponder should have recognized that, but partial blame should go to Simpson.

I think the larger point about Ponder is, what are we going to do if AD gets injured again or if his production starts to decline in a few years? Do we hope Ponder can finally throw by then or do we hope we end up drafting another beast like AD that can keep carrying the offense? AD can't carry this team forever and eventually we're going to be in a situation where we need a QB to step up and carry the team.
    LOL... I think we're well past that point!!!! hahahaha

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by PacNWVike View Post
    I'll stand with the minority here and back Ponder. He's extremely intelligent and can learn the game if he has a mentor. Who is his backup? Who is the old sage on the roster who can help him? The line is giving him basic protection now, but without Harvin, who does he really have to throw to? Rudolph is good, but not a deep threat. The other clowns have the football hit them on the numbers and it's dropped.
    Favre, Brees, P. Manning, or Brady would make these receivers look much better than they are. Ponder makes them look worse than they are. The receivers cannot get separation because they basically run two routes: the comeback and the fly. Ponder has not been able to hit crossing or slant routes past a few yards from the LOS, so these are the routes, and defenders cover them close. Look at how many times defenders tried to jump these routes in the past few weeks. They know what's coming because they watch the films.

Give him time to develop... We are not ready for a run for The Ring... A few more good drafts and experience for the newbs...
    That is what I said early on, but Ponder has mental and physical problems. He tries to float passes that should be thrown on a wire, and he almost never gets to the third guy in his progression. It is one guy and check down or run time and time again.

Remember Peyton's first few years?
    I sure do; he made many mistakes. Manning missed receivers, tried to force balls in, missed reads and all of the other stuff young QB's often do. He didn't have trouble throwing a basic pass twenty yards or hitting moving targets. He was fundamentally sound, and Ponder is not.

keystonevike is offline Starter
    I actually was starting to think that outside of any starting QB in Arizona, Ponder may be the worst starting QB in the league, but then I watched the Jets play the Titans and Mark Sanchez was gawdawful. Kind of a microcosm of his last coupla seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by keystonevike View Post
    I actually was starting to think that outside of any starting QB in Arizona, Ponder may be the worst starting QB in the league, but then I watched the Jets play the Titans and Mark Sanchez was gawdawful. Kind of a microcosm of his last coupla seasons.
    ok, so he's not the worst.... but he's damn close.... punt pass and kick competition between Ponder, sanchez, kolb and Skelton... I wonder who would win....lol

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by keystonevike View Post
    I though Sanchez had more zip on the ball when he throw his picks than Ponder does

Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    I though Sanchez had more zip on the ball when he throw his picks than Ponder does
    Sanchez does throw harder... but they both are headcases....

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    We are last in the nfl in passing yards.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast