Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Ponder, Webb compete to back up McNabb

Ponder, Webb compete to back up McNabb

By looking at the three quarterbacks during practice Monday you could see how the Vikings are heading into the final preseason game. Starter Donovan McNabb was wearing a baseball cap, not a helmet, and he wasn't practicing. He was loose, relaxed.

Read more: http://www.sunherald.com/2011/08/29/3384407/ponder-webb-compete-to-back-up.html#ixzz1WVjq0eTD

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Ponder, Webb compete to back up McNabb

The real question is when he goes down, as he is highly likely to do, who do they trust to lead the team? Apparently they will ruin Ponder and he will curl into the fetus position if they stick him in there to play during his first season so the odds must be on Webb when that happens because he now has a full year under his belt.

2 weeks before the season opener & they're already resting McNabb & plan on him not playing this weekend? How many other starters do they plan on resting?

IMO, this team hasn't been together & playing as a group long enough to start handing out 2 week rest periods or keeping them out of game 4.

I guess Frasier, much like Childress, is more worried about having him healthy week 1, even if it means having a flat lackluster passing game like we've had the past 5 years & a possible loss week 1.

Hopefully AD & our defense can carry the team to a win in San Diego.

Blog Entries

Heck, they did the same thing with the last #7 they had and the #4 didn't even show up to Mankato for camp and they rested him even though he had his crap together so it only figures they will rest this old man too.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1106493
    2 weeks before the season opener & they're already resting McNabb & plan on him not playing this weekend? How many other starters do they plan on resting?

IMO, this team hasn't been together & playing as a group long enough to start handing out 2 week rest periods or keeping them out of game 4.

I guess Frasier, much like Childress, is more worried about having him healthy week 1, even if it means having a flat lackluster passing game like we've had the past 5 years & a possible loss week 1.

Hopefully AD & our defense can carry the team to a win in San Diego.
    Comeon my friend. I've harped on the Chiller for his approach to getting a team ready more than anyone, but you never once saw me say anything about resting starters the last preseason game.

Guess why,.....

No other team playes their starters other than maybe a series if that at all. Most use the 4th game of preseason as nothing more than a game to get one last look at their bubble guys.

Besides, after watching that offense last night, they don't need anymore "Warmups". Wildwoman said it best......"The sure look smooth".
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1106497
    Comeon my friend. I've harped on the Chiller for his approach to getting a team ready more than anyone, but you never once saw me say anything about resting starters the last preseason game.
    Ooooooh! Definitely going to do some digging tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1106508
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1106497
    Ooooooh! Definitely going to do some digging tonight.
    Dig away.

Its crazy talk to run your starters out onto a field, during a 4th preseason game, that has a bunch of 2nd stringers and rooks on the other side going all out to make a team, just to see how your offense/defense is gonna work come week one.

Thats what the 3rd preseason game is for.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

The Second String QB Is...

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2011/8/30/2393199/minnesota-vikings-depth-chart

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1106675
    The Second String QB Is...

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2011/8/30/2393199/minnesota-vikings-depth-chart
    Jeff George.:woohoo:

Thanks for the read my friend....

But really, at this point, it's just a number. If McNabb gets hurt...and with his track record of injuries, that's not out of the realm of possibility...Webb could easily slide into the #2 role. Or, if the Vikings have a ridiculous mismatch with Webb out of the Wildcat, they can throw Ponder in and keep Webb's set of plays untouched, and keep that part of the gameplan in, if, for example, they had Webb lined up wide or something.

The new rule gives the Vikings options, and that's a good thing.

The bottom line for me in all of this is twofold: Both Ponder and Webb want to win the job, but they're also being good teammates about it, and whoever loses will be gracious in defeat and help the other guy as best as he can.

And moving forward, the quarterback position is in good shape long term.

Whoever that may be.
    I pretty much agree with this cat with one exception......

There seems to be a big movement out there that believes Joe will be some sort of godsend when it comes to the "Wildcat" packages.

Here's a clue people, the Wildcat is pretty much a dead scheme my friends. Every team knows how to defend it now. Thats why you won't see more than 10 Wildcat plays from all the teams this year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast