Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Just some stats for thought:
    [*] Minnesota has a 41% third down completion percentage. That is tied for 12th.[*] Minnesota has seen 39 third downs, tied for 15th.[*] Minnesota has made 64 first downs, tied for 13th.
    Interesting, they all much pretty much tell the same story. Is that 3rd down conversion rate or completion percentage? I tried to find 3rd down completion rate a while back and couldn't find it.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    I was listening to Ross Tucker and his guest this morning (Evan Silva) and they were talking about young Ponder. One of their comments/observations is how hard it has been for Ponder to throw all those short passes.

Their rationale was mostly related to the fact that we have no outside threat. All of the "Passing Targets" that Ponder have are "around the line of scrimmage" guys. That makes it easier for defenses to clog those close passing lanes.

Thought it was a interesting take.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Just some stats for thought:
    [*] Minnesota has a 41% third down completion percentage. That is tied for 12th.[*] Minnesota has seen 39 third downs, tied for 15th.[*] Minnesota has made 64 first downs, tied for 13th.
    Which means the Vikings have gotten 25 1st downs on 1st or 2nd down with possibly 1 or 2 4th down conversions in there. I don't know where that ranks, but I like not having to deal with 3rd downs.

Where are you finding those interesting stats?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I was listening to Ross Tucker and his guest this morning (Evan Silva) and they were talking about young Ponder. One of their comments/observations is how hard it has been for Ponder to throw all those short passes.

Their rationale was mostly related to the fact that we have no outside threat. All of the "Passing Targets" that Ponder have are "around the line of scrimmage" guys. That makes it easier for defenses to clog those close passing lanes.

Thought it was a interesting take.
    Apparently you missed me saying it more than once several weeks ago or didn't find it to be an interesting take at the time, until the proof was in the pudding. It's one of the reasons I felt Ponder would have a hard time hitting that 75%.

Also, like I said, when those defenders are in like they are, it also shortens our run game too.

Thus the need, that a few of us have been clamoring since the offseason, to add some deep threat WR's that could stretch the field & keep our opponents secondary back.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Apparently you missed me saying it more than once several weeks ago or didn't find it to be an interesting take at the time, until the proof was in the pudding. It's one of the reasons I felt Ponder would have a hard time hitting that 75%.

Also, like I said, when those defenders are in like they are, it also shortens our run game too.

Thus the need, that a few of us have been clamoring since the offseason, to add some deep threat WR's that could stretch the field & keep our opponents secondary back.
    Two things....I miss nothing. I just elected not to get into it with you.....

As to the running issue. You know my stance on that. Almost every team on almost every play, when they are in their base defense, stack the box. It isn't something we see just because of AD.

2012 NFL Team Rushing Stats - National Football League - ESPN

Don't get me wrong, we might see it a bit more often, but not as much as you (and others on here) contend.

On a side note.....AD is 12th in rushing and as a team we are 9th. I don't think that is to bad considering all the "Stacked" boxes we face.

On a side side note. I need to go dig up that thread were a couple of people were calling crazy when I said how the star RB's were going to do bad this year. Looking at the league leaders might make them a bit hungry for crow.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Interesting, they all much pretty much tell the same story. Is that 3rd down conversion rate or completion percentage? I tried to find 3rd down completion rate a while back and couldn't find it.
    It was conversion rate, thanks for the correction. A little later today I will figure out what the completion % is.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Which means the Vikings have gotten 25 1st downs on 1st or 2nd down with possibly 1 or 2 4th down conversions in there. I don't know where that ranks, but I like not having to deal with 3rd downs.

Where are you finding those interesting stats?
    2012 NFL Team Downs Stats - National Football League - ESPN
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789