Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Update: Ponder is 20./27 on the season. 74%. not too shabby. I dont' have a breakdown of his first and second down throws though.

He's 17-20 on 1st & 2nd (85.0%) which is really good, but only 3-7 on 3rd (42.8%) which is poor.

Here's the breakdown;

The success is attributable to Ponder's accuracy as well as offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave's sensible play-calling. With downfield receiver Jerome Simpson serving a suspension, the Vikings didn't wander too far past the line of scrimmage. In fact, only two of Ponder's attempts traveled longer than 20 yards in the air.
    Christian Ponder: 85 pct. on early downs

Christian Ponder: 85 pct. on early downs - NFC North Blog - ESPN

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    He's 17-20 on 1st & 2nd (85.0%) which is really good, but only 3-7 on 3rd (42.8%) which is poor.

Here's the breakdown;

Christian Ponder: 85 pct. on early downs

Christian Ponder: 85 pct. on early downs - NFC North Blog - ESPN
    I would guess that 42.86% puts him right in the league average for 3rd down conversions. That's why he wants to emphasize a higher percentage on 1st and 2nd downs, to hopefully avoid 3rd downs all together.

In any event, 7 throws on 3rd down is not very many.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    In case anyone is curious - Ponder was 17/22 on first and second down against the Colts. 77.3%

On 3rd downs he was 9/12 (75%) but only converted 6 of them. Still, 50% is getting better...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Not to be a negative nancy, but most of those are 5yd swing and screen passes haha. To be honest, it seems like we've rolled out the Brad Johnson offense from several years ago. All short passes. At least we actually try to throw to the sticks on 3rd though, something BJ can't say. Hopefully Simpson will help stretch things out a little more when he returns.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    In case anyone is curious - Ponder was 17/22 on first and second down against the Colts. 77.3%

On 3rd downs he was 9/12 (75%) but only converted 6 of them. Still, 50% is getting better...
    I'd be OK with getting less than 75% on 1st & 2nd down if they'd be thrown more than 5 yards down field.

The positive side of those behind the LOS & 5 yard passes is we are getting damn good YAC were as in prior years our receivers were getting popped when they caught the ball.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    This is playing out as the Randy ratio all over again. The Vikings are playing for a percentage instead of playing their game and allowing the percentage to be an outcome of the natural flow of the game. They are playing for the end to the means rather than the means to the end.

Yes, backfield and flat passes will result in a high percentage, but will they accomplish what is needed for the game situation? Sometimes they do, but often they do not. Being afraid of twelve yard passes leaves me shaking my head. The Vikings need to stretch the field. If the receivers on the field cannot do that, they should be benched.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I would guess that 42.86% puts him right in the league average for 3rd down conversions. That's why he wants to emphasize a higher percentage on 1st and 2nd downs, to hopefully avoid 3rd downs all together.

In any event, 7 throws on 3rd down is not very many.
    One thing to consider, on third downs, for the most part the defense knows that the offense is going to pass.

Makes it easier on them to defend and harder on the offense to complete.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    One thing to consider, on third downs, for the most part the defense knows that the offense is going to pass.

Makes it easier on them to defend and harder on the offense to complete.
    Not for the Vikings defense, 3-19 still seems to be a makeable first down for most of their opponents

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I'd be OK with getting less than 75% on 1st & 2nd down if they'd be thrown more than 5 yards down field.

The positive side of those behind the LOS & 5 yard passes is we are getting damn good YAC were as in prior years our receivers were getting popped when they caught the ball.
    I don't mind 5 yards on 1st and 2nd down. That puts us in second and short or third and short. But it would be nice to see a few throws down field to stretch it out a little. I am hoping the return of Simpson helps that out a bit.

Definitely correct about the YAC though. I like it.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    Not for the Vikings defense, 3-19 still seems to be a makeable first down for most of their opponents
    Well played my friend. Well played indeed.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast