Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33
  1. #11
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Did anybody actually watch the interception?
    I did. I missed the game but the Genie put it in the box for me so I watched it last night and I don't think the INT was all on Ponder for sure, but that doesn't change how I feel about his competitive nature.

  2. #12
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marstc09 View Post
    Yes. Why? You trying to say that was not on Ponder?! Excuse are already coming. Smh
    I'm not saying that he's a good quarterback, I'm just saying that we're reading too deeply into a preseason game.

    When Peyton was with the Colts, they lost every preseason game, every year. Wasn't necessarily indicative of regular season success, was it?
    Ahhh yes but we have seen Manning in the regular season and we have seen Ponder. That is where the logic gets flawed.

  3. #13
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Did anybody actually watch the interception?
    Yup. IMHO it shows that the timing between Ponder and Simpson isn't on yet. Ponder led him too far, and Simpson short armed it. I would say it was on both of them, although I would give more of the nod to Ponder for attempting the pass - because of the way the pocket broke down he couldn't have made the throw any better without it being deflected.

    Either way, it isn't anything I am going to lose sleep over. Cassel's INT was 100X worse, and yet he had a decent game. You just can't tell anything from two passes, especially when one was pretty good and the other wasn't.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  4. #14
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,179

    Ponder: Vikings will learn from defeat

    Jennings was open too on that INT by Ponder.

  5. #15
    VKG4LFE's Avatar
    VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Hartford, WI
    Posts
    16,005
    Let's not get too worked up about preseason game number 1. We all know Ponder is soft (ref. 2012 playoffs, aforementioned quote), so of course he doesn't care how much work he gets in. It was a bad throw, we'll see a couple a game from him this year. Let's just hope the other teams drop them on a consistent basis.

    I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

  6. #16
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by VKG4LFE View Post
    Let's not get too worked up about preseason game number 1. We all know Ponder is soft (ref. 2012 playoffs, aforementioned quote), so of course he doesn't care how much work he gets in. It was a bad throw, we'll see a couple a game from him this year. Let's just hope the other teams drop them on a consistent basis.
    No, we don't all know that Ponder is soft. If you are going to complain about Ponder, let's at least pick something that is real, and not some fan created drivel from the playoffs last year. That has been thoroughly debunked.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  7. #17
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by marstc09 View Post
    Jennings was open too on that INT by Ponder.
    OK, so let's start by reaffirming to everyone that I am not a Ponder apologist. Hell, I am not even a Ponder fan. I think Cassel would be a better starter at this point. But regardless...

    Let's put some things to rest.

    First of all, while Jennings (and even more so Rudolph) were open, Ponder did not have a throwing lane to either of them. Here is a screen shot of the play just as Ponder is starting his throw.
    Attachment 502
    As you can see, Darryl Sharpton was blitzing untouched from the QBs left. The position of the LB would have made it difficult if not impossible for Ponder to see any of the receivers to his blind side.

    Ponder recognized the blitz, as did Simpson. Simpson broke into a slant behind the defender and Ponder threw the ball to where he thought Simpson would be. Either Ponder led Simpson a bit too much or Simpson was a bit late, or probably both. Luckily timing is something that can be improved upon.

    BTW if you watch the play, Rudolph also reacts when he sees the blitz by freezing open and waiting for a dump off, but I don't think that Ponder could have gotten him the ball either.

    In the end it is what it is. It was an INT. It wasn't necessarily a bad throw or even a bad decision. Instead I would say that it was good defense. So can let's hop off the "hate everything just because it is Ponder" bus. I am surprised that nobody is talking about the duck of an INT that Cassel threw. THAT was a horrible decision AND throw, and yet it doesn't even get a mention...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  8. #18
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Yup. IMHO it shows that the timing between Ponder and Simpson isn't on yet. Ponder led him too far, and Simpson short armed it.
    Apparently Simpson forgot to leap in the air on that one too.

    We have had two full offseasons with Ponder & Simpson working together plus 13 regular season games & every practice in between. Yes folks, they practice during the week. If Ponders timing still isn't on with Simpson after all that, then I can't imagine how much more time that's going to take.

    With that said, then I guess we better extend Ponder's contract now, since he's going to need until 2015 or 2016 to get his timing right with Patterson.
    Last edited by singersp; 08-12-2013 at 07:43 AM.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  9. #19
    vikinggreg's Avatar
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    4,773
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Apparently Simpson forgot to leap in the air on that one too.

    We have had two full offseasons with Ponder & Simpson working together plus 13 regular season games & every practice in between. Yes folks, they practice during the week. If Ponders timing still isn't on with Simpson after all that, then I can't imagine how much more time that's going to take.

    With that said, then I guess we better extend Ponder's contract now, since he's going to need until 2015 or 2016 to get his timing right with Patterson.
    uhm, I need a little more time before I can decision, 2 preseason passes isn't quite enough to do with him for......this week...need to see more....would feel more comfortable basing the next 3 year on say 5 or six passes

  10. #20
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    uhm, I need a little more time before I can decision, 2 preseason passes isn't quite enough to do with him for......this week...need to see more....would feel more comfortable basing the next 3 year on say 5 or six passes
    I'm pretty sure Ponder has thrown to Simpson a little more often than twice in the last year & a half.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •