Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lippythelion69 View Post
    We will not make the playoffs in the next 5 years, Not with Ponder.....not in our division.......we need to many pieces...linebackers,dbacks,safety,ol...... .Allen will be played out,Petersen also.....New England is sitting on a ton of draft picks. You think they might like Petersen?.....I don't if you can rework his deal and trade or not....but.....we need a major rebuild.. Just think a reverse walker trade..we get the picks......
    Ponders homegrown...woooooo.....he will have a ton of confidence after being throw to the wolves...if he lives.
    No playoffs in 5 years not in our division.....
    No playoffs in 5 years not in the NFC north I will take any bets.....
    I get what you are saying but then again I am not sure how your solution gets us to the playoffs any faster. If we get rid of Ponder that means we just blew this years first pick and then next years pick gets spent on the same position. Now, if ponder doesn't develop we may need to go that route in the near future but at this point there are more pressing needs and I doubt we start over again next year even if it is the right thing to do.

Peterson cannot be traded due to the cap hit we would take because of his signing bonus. Allen could be traded but he is the best player we have on defense so we get rid of him and who takes his place?

I am still of the mindset we need to get a GM and let that person build the roster the way they see fit.

I concur

But*
    I hope we never have to pick at the top again...but we will be this year.."if" we can get a stud qb we have to...
    My thinking is not intended get us to the promise land ,but to have a team like the steelers or pats , that have a pool of talent every year..... In my eyes we are still paying for the walker trade..."no team has ever giving up that many picks and players away.....and remained viable.
    The Vikings play in the best division in sports talent wise..considering the talent...that the bears,pack,and lions have..... *I hope we have a new stadium to fill....having "homegrown ponder" ain"t a marketers dream...... Ziggy"s shown he will spend..... And it's here or califorina
    The lions are proof we need a good GM
    I love both AP, and Allen but..their days in the sun are coming to an end " will the Vikes be ready to use their talents to win the superbowl in the coming years...me thinks not...why not use them to build a super team for the ages. ,it"s not personal it"s a business
    Last edited by Lippythelion69; 11-25-2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Sp
    None

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired
    Allen will be elite for years still. He hasn't shown any reason be will slow down.

AP has plenty of years left.

I didn't expect us to do what we did with Brett Favre. Went to OT in the NFC champ game.

Who says in 3-4 years we won't have tons of young talent and valuable young FAs?

Ponder has shown with time and when WRs get open he can hit them no problem. Fix the line. Get a stud like Blackmon to actually demand some respect which helps out not only Ponder and the line but also Adrian. Right now teams can lock up any of our WRs one one one besides Percy without a problem

Ponder isn't gonna get any value in a trade. Allen is one of our few elite talents. And Peterson is bar none the best in the game. Build around them and guys like Greenway and Percy.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lippythelion69 View Post
    But*<br>
    I hope we never have to pick at the top again...but we will be this year.."if" we can get a stud qb we have to...
    <br>
    <br>
    It is never comforting to pick at the top of the draft, but that is where we are and one thing is certain, while I don't want to pick at the top any more than I have to, I also don't want to return to the old 5-11 to 11-5 pattern where the team isn't terrible but isn't great. <br>
    <br>
    And getting a stud QB is no guarantee at the top of the draft. With the exception of Manning with the Colts, we took Ponder just as high or higher than the great majority of SB winning QB's. It is never where they are taken, it is what they are surrounded by and how the team is run from the top.<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    My thinking is not intended get us to the promise land ,but to have a team like the steelers or pats , that have a pool of talent every year..... In my eyes we are still paying for the walker trade..."no team has ever giving up that many picks and players away.....and remained viable.<br>
    The Vikings play in the best division in sports talent wise..considering the talent...that the bears,pack,and lions have..... *I hope we have a new stadium to fill....having "homegrown ponder" ain"t a marketers dream...... Ziggy"s shown he will spend..... And it's here or califorina<br>
    The lions are proof we need a good GM
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    All divisions rise and fall over the years. It just so happens that right now we have 3 teams in the division that were trending the right way. Three years ago we had the opportunity to be the SB champ but didn't have the coaching and organization to go the final step. I agree 100% about the GM and until we get a high quality one we will never be the Pats, Packers or Steelers.<br>
    <br>
    As far as Ziggy spending money, he did at one point but then again he hasn't done much the last few years and the future is yet to be written. <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    I love both AP, and Allen but..their days in the sun are coming to an end " will the Vikes be ready to use their talents to win the superbowl in the coming years...me thinks not...why not use them to build a super team for the ages. ,it"s not personal it"s a business
    <br>
    <br>
    I like them too. In fact I have made the same case for trading them that you have and to be honest, if we get the right GM and if that is what they do I won't have a problem with it. But Peterson is going to be tough to move with the cap hit we would take. How do you&nbsp;propose&nbsp;to handle getting rid of AP and accounting for the hit we would take due to the roster bonus that the team would have to eat? What player or what position would you&nbsp;compromise&nbsp;in order to make the trade?
    Last edited by Purple Floyd; 11-25-2011 at 05:38 PM.

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by V4L View Post
    Allen will be elite for years still. He hasn't shown any reason be will slow down.

AP has plenty of years left.

I didn't expect us to do what we did with Brett Favre. Went to OT in the NFC champ game.

Who says in 3-4 years we won't have tons of young talent and valuable young FAs?

Ponder has shown with time and when WRs get open he can hit them no problem. Fix the line. Get a stud like Blackmon to actually demand some respect which helps out not only Ponder and the line but also Adrian. Right now teams can lock up any of our WRs one one one besides Percy without a problem

Ponder isn't gonna get any value in a trade. Allen is one of our few elite talents. And Peterson is bar none the best in the game. Build around them and guys like Greenway and Percy.
    Perfectly said! I am on the Blackmon bandwagon as well. Although, I'm starting to love what I'm seeing from Morris Claiborne. I'm just really nervous about the terrible offensive line.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

V4L
    Quote Originally Posted by MulletMullitia View Post
    Perfectly said! I am on the Blackmon bandwagon as well. Although, I'm starting to love what I'm seeing from Morris Claiborne. I'm just really nervous about the terrible offensive line.
    Ditto. Although id love Blackmon to draw someone away. I wouldn't be toooo upset with Kalil.

We have no playmakers on offense. Adrian and Percy. Got others like Rudolph and Ponder who should be good but either don't see snaps or are in crappy situations.

Get Blackmon. Add someone like we tried to in the offseason (James Jones, Malcom Flloyd etc.) And draft a few lineman. We have a decent core to build around

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by V4L View Post
    Ditto. Although id love Blackmon to draw someone away. I wouldn't be toooo upset with Kalil.

We have no playmakers on offense. Adrian and Percy. Got others like Rudolph and Ponder who should be good but either don't see snaps or are in crappy situations.

Get Blackmon. Add someone like we tried to in the offseason (James Jones, Malcom Flloyd etc.) And draft a few lineman. We have a decent core to build around
    Yeah that would be great. Draft Blackmon in the first round, and get linemen with the 2nd and 3rd round picks. BUT, that would completely ignore our horrible secondary. At least one of our main weaknesses will be ignored in this draft. It's definitely going to take more than one year to right this ship. And I personally don't believe that Spielman will be the man to do it.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

V4L
    Quote Originally Posted by MulletMullitia View Post
    Yeah that would be great. Draft Blackmon in the first round, and get linemen with the 2nd and 3rd round picks. BUT, that would completely ignore our horrible secondary. At least one of our main weaknesses will be ignored in this draft. It's definitely going to take more than one year to right this ship. And I personally don't believe that Spielman will be the man to do it.

I think if we switched out of the cover 2 tampa shit our corners would look alot better (I know Marty says it alot and he's always wrong but I agree to a certain point)

I say if we do well in FA and get solid young talent in the secondary and both lines we would be decent (after we get Blackmon)

Corners (if we keep Cook) Griff isn't that bad. Lil slower but more times then not he takes the short routes like he is supposed to then runs back over the top (there should be better safety help) and it looks like he got torched. Same with Asher. (he has missed a few more tackles then I would like to see though) He also missed a couple balls but that's against some of the bigger WRs in the league that wrestle it away against anyone

mrhurriicane is offline Waterboy
    I can't stand how people assume that once a player reaches his peak, that he will stay there for 2-3 years and then falter completely. Sure, it is true for some players, but why make that assumption every time? If this kind of mentality were in other cities, you would hear "Welker is going to only get worse from here, better patch up that secondary and get what we can." How about you worry about replacing players when they start to decline.
    As for Ponder's case, this thread shouldn't be made for another 3 years.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    I know I am in the minority but i don't like what I see out of Ponder's arm strength. Too many of his passes seem to lose zip past 20 yards and float. I'm not yet ready to start calling him "The Noodle" but I am concerned. However, If I was going to right this ship, I would.....

1. Cut our OC - His play calling is terrible. Too often I have seen AD and Harvin on the sideline at the same time. That said he has a solid playbook but his choice of formations at key times is maddening.

2. Keep the cover 2. Our defense plays well. We have talent but a major change over is needed (See below)

3. Signal the Youth Movement. Get ride of Williams, Henderson, Winfield. Those three players alone easily gives us over 18 million in cap freedom. Get ride of Griffen as well. He should be good for another 3. Have Hutch take a paycut to help the team. His 8 million plus is killing us. I'm sure having a Talent like Bell next to him will make his life a bit easier.

In this scenario, I have us picking 5th but we trade back to the 12th pick and pick up a third. I also have us trading Kevin WIlliams, who I think on the downside of his career for an extra 3rd. Cook is on probation after having some charges reduced and is playing.

Qb - Ponder (Franchise QB), Webb, Draft Dominique Davis in the 5th (Prospect)
    RB - Peterson (Franchise RB), Move Toby to FB. Keep Booker, Sign a (JAG)
    FB - Toby should start here. He doesn't have to be a Tony Richardson type FB but he would get us some nice touches out of the backfield. He was a (foolish) 2nd round pick and we need to start seeking our money returned.

WR - Sign Robert Meachem - Who is having a good year and can be had cheap. He might relish the chance to start else where. Keep Jenkins. Add a decent talent like B. Edwards. Draft Travis Benjamin in the 5th.

Meachem / Edwards on the outside
    Harvin / Jenkins on the inside
    Travis Benjamin the fifth.

TE - Rudolph/ Bennett

Shank is probably gone because he is one the wrong side of 30 and is looking for a payday.
    Sign Martellus Bennett for cheap.

LT - Demetrius Bell (signing)
    LG - Hutchinson
    C - Sullivan
    RG - Nate Potter (3rd pick)
    RT _ Loadholt

============================================
    Defense

LDE - Griffen/Robinson
    DT - Ballad/ Guion
    DT - Aydolye / Kheeston Randall (3rd round pick)
    RDE - Allen
    OLB - Greenway,
    MLB -
    Vontaze Burfict (1st Round pick)
    CB - Cook, C. Rogers, Griffen, Sherels,
    FS - Chris Harris /
    George Iloka (4th round pick)
    SS - Ray Ray Armstrong
    (2nd round pick)

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast