Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 126
  1. #91
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,815
    Quote Originally Posted by VikesFan787 View Post
    I don't know how you idiots expect us to have a franchise QB if you don't let him go through growing pains. We are not going to get a rookie who is going to start and lead us to victory. And when we get a vetern you all bitch about his age. This site is turning into a joke. Patience.
    Yes, there is plenty of silliness abound on this site, especially after a loss.

    I personally think that Ponder has shown more potential than any young Vikings QB in a long time. If you really want a QB to be able to win the game through the air, you're going to need some patience and let him take a few risks and learn the subtleties of the game. If you just want a game manager that is ultra conservative then expect to have a team with mediocre aspirations year after year.

    I would wager a guess that the most prolific QB's in the league throughout it's history started their first few years with a lot of picks.

    Ponder needs to improve, but I think he has the ability more than any other young qb I've seen on the vikings roster in probably 20+ years.

    It may help to give him a consistent set of recievers to throw to as well, I'm sure there were a number of routes where Ponder and the WR were not on the same page. Burton at least twice seemed to be out of synch with Ponder. The fact that he was able to convert multiple 3rd and long plays with the likes of Aromashadu shows a lot more than any other Vikings QB I can remember in many years...with hte acception of Favre in 2009.

    380 yards with Aroma, Burton and Harvin. Clean up a couple bad throws/decisions and that's a pretty damned fine piece of work. I'd take that over Tebow's current ceiling any day.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Reinholds,Pa
    Posts
    223
    [QUOTE=VikesFan787;1116328]I don't know how you idiots expect us to have a franchise QB if you don't let him go through growing pains. We are not going to get a rookie who is going to start and lead us to victory. And when we get a vetern you all bitch about his age. This site is turning into a joke......
    So are the Vikings!
    And it pains me to say that... This reminds me of les steckel and co.
    None

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Yes, there is plenty of silliness abound on this site, especially after a loss.

    I personally think that Ponder has shown more potential than any young Vikings QB in a long time. If you really want a QB to be able to win the game through the air, you're going to need some patience and let him take a few risks and learn the subtleties of the game. If you just want a game manager that is ultra conservative then expect to have a team with mediocre aspirations year after year.

    I would wager a guess that the most prolific QB's in the league throughout it's history started their first few years with a lot of picks.

    Ponder needs to improve, but I think he has the ability more than any other young qb I've seen on the vikings roster in probably 20+ years.

    It may help to give him a consistent set of recievers to throw to as well, I'm sure there were a number of routes where Ponder and the WR were not on the same page. Burton at least twice seemed to be out of synch with Ponder. The fact that he was able to convert multiple 3rd and long plays with the likes of Aromashadu shows a lot more than any other Vikings QB I can remember in many years...with hte acception of Favre in 2009.

    380 yards with Aroma, Burton and Harvin. Clean up a couple bad throws/decisions and that's a pretty damned fine piece of work. I'd take that over Tebow's current ceiling any day.
    I agree with your post. I thought ponder did a very good job on sunday. Throw for 380 yds, 3 tds, and should have only been one int.. He should have never been in the position to have to try and win it for us at the end. Our defense and Ol totally suck. This game should not have been close. We dominated them but how many big plays can u watch our derense give up. Come on we made Tebow look like a good qb. So how anyone can put any of the blame on Ponder is crazy..
    I really like his composure though. I think him playing right now without A.P. playing, will be beneficial to Ponder. I think our future looks pretty good at qb. Defense and Ol play horrible.

  4. #94
    Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    629
    Rookie QB passer ratings since '98 through their first 7 starts (starts only and having made all 7 starts in draft year). Not that 7 starts is a very good indicator of how good a QB will be, but it looks like Ponder is above average so far. We'll be solid at QB for a long time if he learns to take care of the ball.

    104.0 - Ben Roethlisberger
    82.8 - Cam Newton
    82.7 - Andy Dalton
    81.9 - Colt McCoy
    79.8 - Matt Ryan
    78.9 - Trent Edwards
    73.6 - Christian Ponder
    71.8 - David Carr
    71.3 - Sam Bradford
    70.7 - Matt Leinart
    70.5 - Joe Flacco
    66.1 - Chad Hutchinson
    66.1 - Byron Leftwich
    65.8 - Quincy Carter
    65.5 - Kyle Orton
    64.1 - Chris Weinke
    63.5 - Peyton Manning
    62.2 - Blaine Gabbert
    62.2 - Joey Harrington
    62.2 - Kyle Boller
    61.2 - Mark Sanchez
    60.0 - Josh Freeman
    59.6 - Jimmy Clausen
    59.5 - Matthew Stafford
    56.1 - Vince Young
    55.2 - Eli Manning
    39.4 - Alex Smith
    33.3 - Ryan Leaf

    And of this group, Ponder has the most TD passes in that span with 11 (Roethlisberger/P.Manning are 2nd with 9), and has the 3rd most INT's with 11 (Freeman/P.Manning 14, Stafford /Leaf 12).

  5. #95
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,776
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
    Rookie QB passer ratings since '98 through their first 7 starts (starts only and having made all 7 starts in draft year). Not that 7 starts is a very good indicator of how good a QB will be, but it looks like Ponder is above average so far. We'll be solid at QB for a long time if he learns to take care of the ball.

    104.0 - Ben Roethlisberger
    82.8 - Cam Newton
    82.7 - Andy Dalton
    81.9 - Colt McCoy
    79.8 - Matt Ryan
    78.9 - Trent Edwards
    73.6 - Christian Ponder
    71.8 - David Carr
    71.3 - Sam Bradford
    70.7 - Matt Leinart
    70.5 - Joe Flacco
    66.1 - Chad Hutchinson
    66.1 - Byron Leftwich
    65.8 - Quincy Carter
    65.5 - Kyle Orton
    64.1 - Chris Weinke
    63.5 - Peyton Manning
    62.2 - Blaine Gabbert
    62.2 - Joey Harrington
    62.2 - Kyle Boller
    61.2 - Mark Sanchez
    60.0 - Josh Freeman
    59.6 - Jimmy Clausen
    59.5 - Matthew Stafford
    56.1 - Vince Young
    55.2 - Eli Manning
    39.4 - Alex Smith
    33.3 - Ryan Leaf

    And of this group, Ponder has the most TD passes in that span with 11 (Roethlisberger/P.Manning are 2nd with 9), and has the 3rd most INT's with 11 (Freeman/P.Manning 14, Stafford /Leaf 12).
    Stats like these mean absolutely nothing. If they did mean anything, then all it means is Ponder will only ever be slightly better than David Carr and not as good as Trent Edwards.

  6. #96
    Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    629
    Yep I mentioned that lol, but it's meant to keep people from losing hope about Ponder just yet.

    Here's how he stacks up against the more (current) "elite" or notable QB's in their first 7 career starts.

    104.0 - Ben Roethlisberger
    98.8 - Aaron Rodgers
    98.3 - Tony Romo
    97.6 - Philip Rivers
    90.2 - Tom Brady
    87.3 - Matt Schaub
    85.7 - Jay Cutler
    83.6 - Drew Brees
    82.5 - Michael Vick
    79.8 - Matt Ryan
    73.6 - Christian Ponder
    70.5 - Joe Flacco
    63.5 - Peyton Manning
    61.2 - Mark Sanchez
    55.2 - Eli Manning

  7. #97
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Ponder is a work in progress for sure. I do believe that everything he is doing this year is going to help him going into next year and if he has the stuff it will make him a better QB.

    That being said, there is no guarantee he is going to work out and I hope that the FO makes sure they have another competent QB on the roster that can play if he doesn't work out and hopefully they don't wait 5 years to pull the plug if he isn't making consistent positive improvement.

    While the INT's he is throwing are terrible, I do like the fact he is aggressive and is going right at teams rather than being tentative. If he can clean up the errors while keeping that competitive edge I can live with the mistakes. However, if they become a trend and not a temporary lesson then he will end up with a different career.

  8. #98
    briannord's Avatar
    briannord is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Ponder is a work in progress for sure. I do believe that everything he is doing this year is going to help him going into next year and if he has the stuff it will make him a better QB.

    That being said, there is no guarantee he is going to work out and I hope that the FO makes sure they have another competent QB on the roster that can play if he doesn't work out and hopefully they don't wait 5 years to pull the plug if he isn't making consistent positive improvement.

    While the INT's he is throwing are terrible, I do like the fact he is aggressive and is going right at teams rather than being tentative. If he can clean up the errors while keeping that competitive edge I can live with the mistakes. However, if they become a trend and not a temporary lesson then he will end up with a different career.
    How do you propose we find a "competent qb?" We have to go all in with ponder at this point and spend all of our draft picks on other positions. Finding some journeyman QB in FA who will get no reps in practice is pretty much the best we can do.

    Bottom line is we need to upgrade at LT and interior offensive line, add a outside threat then watch for a couple years. Thats the only way well know what we have with ponder. Im optimistic and think weve found something special.

  9. #99
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by briannord View Post
    How do you propose we find a "competent qb?" We have to go all in with ponder at this point and spend all of our draft picks on other positions. Finding some journeyman QB in FA who will get no reps in practice is pretty much the best we can do.

    Bottom line is we need to upgrade at LT and interior offensive line, add a outside threat then watch for a couple years. Thats the only way well know what we have with ponder. Im optimistic and think weve found something special.
    Denny Green didn't seem to have a problem having serviceable backups. It just takes a little focus by the GM to make sure the most important position on the team is covered if something should happen.

  10. #100
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Reinholds,Pa
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Denny Green didn't seem to have a problem having serviceable backups. It just takes a little focus by the GM to make sure the most important position on the team is covered if something should happen.
    Right on. Denny was the last member of the Vikes who got quality picks up and down the draft......should have promoted Dungy to head coach after Denny got accused of grab ass.
    None

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •