Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31
  1. #21
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    *cough* Joe Webb, Brett Favre, Matt Birk, *cough*

    And lets not forget your love fest for Childress early in his time here & how it was the players failure to "execute" the play & not the coaching or play calling.
    Critiquing their play is not blaming them. I think you will find that my comments are more geared towards "Its time for them to move on as we have a younger cat ready to go" and in most instances I have been right.

    As to the Chiller. I think you have it backwards. I didn't want him initially and didn't really start glamming onto him until about 2008/2009 sometime. Absolutely despised that he played so damn many rookies.

    Once I started to see those cats starting to evolve, I tended to relent on him and his ability to get a team ready.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  2. #22
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Peterson has improved his pass blocking, though not as much as one would expect. Which QB was going to give Harvin those Welker like numbers?

    There's no doubt the coaching needs to improve.

    Point is, we don't need to have a scapegoat for Ponder before the season even starts.

    If Ponder has what it takes, he will do well despite weak coaching.
    This is his year and I expect him to improve and flash at times.

    Your last paragraph is wasted text.
    Why is my last paragraph wasted text? Obviously you've missed the many many discussions on here about how its the players who teach the youngsters that always end with me saying something along the lines of "Coaches coach and Players play".

    And I whole heatedly agree with your comment about "no need for a scapegoat". I always wonder why fans blame players for failing. Fact is, these cats are pretty damn talented. Just to get drafted (or signed to play) at this level is evidence of it. Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't.

    No need to hate on them for it. Cook was a prime example of that. Everyone hated on that cat and for what? Being stuck in a position by a coaching staff that he wasn't ready or able to play in a scheme he didn't fit.

    By the way, he is still doing pretty good from everything I can garner.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  3. #23
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,204
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    And if he does progress like you think he should, will you be praising the coaches instead of Ponder?

    If he does, I for one will be giving most of the credit to Ponder.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Nope, I will give them credit if its due. I have no axe to grind against them. Their ours. If they do their job I'm happy.
    Like I thought.

    If Ponder excels, you'll give all the credit to Ponder & not the coaches, unless you feel some of the credit should go to the coaches, but if he doesn't excel, you'll solely blame the coaches & not Ponder at all because Ponder has talent.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  4. #24
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Like I thought.

    If Ponder excels, you'll give all the credit to Ponder & not the coaches, unless you feel some of the credit should go to the coaches, but if he doesn't excel, you'll solely blame the coaches & not Ponder at all because Ponder has talent.
    Thats not what I said. I said I would give credit were credit is due. If he progresses, good on both of them. If he falters, both will get hacked on.

    Only point out of all that is I won't give up on Ponder if he falters as I believe, with good coaching, he will be a damn good QB in this league.

    How did you miss that point?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  5. #25
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Thats not what I said. I said I would give credit were credit is due. If he progresses, good on both of them. If he falters, both will get hacked on.

    Only point out of all that is I won't give up on Ponder if he falters as I believe, with good coaching, he will be a damn good QB in this league.

    How did you miss that point?
    I didn't miss your point. Here's your quote....

    Originally Posted by Marrdro

    If Ponder doesn't progress like I think he should, I'm going looking for coaches heads, not the players head.
    Where in that statement do you state you'll hack on Ponder if he doesn't progress?

    Nowhere. What you in fact say is you'll blame the coaches & not the player.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  6. #26
    marshallvike's Avatar
    marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    2,456
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I didn't miss your point. Here's your quote....



    Where in that statement do you state you'll hack on Ponder if he doesn't progress?

    Nowhere. What you in fact say is you'll blame the coaches & not the player.
    If Bill Walsh was coaching our team, Ponder would be one of the best QB's in the league. With our staff......we'll see.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

  7. #27
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I didn't miss your point. Here's your quote....



    Where in that statement do you state you'll hack on Ponder if he doesn't progress?

    Nowhere. What you in fact say is you'll blame the coaches & not the player.
    Doesn't mean I won't hack on him.

    Just because I didn't spell it out all the way, I've been pretty consistent on here wrt hacking on those that deserve it and giving credit to those that deserve it.

    Again, (spelling it out for ya)my point is that I am not going to give up on Ponder if he fails this year. Truth is, I anticipate he will have problems (go find the numerous times I've said that), but I also think he will progress. If one exceeds the others, I am going to put the blame on the coaches for not getting him right, not Ponder for not being coached correctly.

    I don't know any other way to say it other than the 3 tries at it I've already tried.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  8. #28
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    If Bill Walsh was coaching our team, Ponder would be one of the best QB's in the league. With our staff......we'll see.
    Exactly. See, our good friend Marshall gets what I'm saying.

    I bet he even agrees that Ponder would, with Walsh as the coach, still gaff some stuff up that he would deserve to be hacked on for. But that stuff wouldn't warrant giving up on him.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #29
    smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    858
    I've been critical of the coaching staff as well. But I do recognize that Ponder didn't get a lot of coaching last year due to the lockout. Then once training camp started the Vikes were trying to get McNabb up to speed.
    So this will be a much better year to judge the coaching with regard to Ponder.

  10. #30
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,204
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    I've been critical of the coaching staff as well. But I do recognize that Ponder didn't get a lot of coaching last year due to the lockout.
    Neither did Cam Newton or any other player that was drafted.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •