Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I agree that a top QB's peak probably isn't realized until around 5 seasons, but you should see improvement and potential to allow the franchise to continue the significant investment. I'm not much of a fan of the "let him play for 3 years and see if he can develop into a good QB". The price for the franchise is just too high. He has to show that he is worth the investment. I realize that this can be very subjective, but that's what the coaches and front office are paid to do.

I do think that Ponder has a decent shot at being that guy from what I saw last year. But this year, he needs to progress significantly in order to warrant the continued investment. I'm not expecting him to be a world beater, as he is surrounded by a very young roster, but their needs to be improvement. Not just in his stats, but at his ability to play QB and lead this offense.

If over 50% of the posters on this board think Ponder should be our starter going into next year, he probably did a decent job.
    Good stuff as always, but as I just posted, I'm not so sure that progression should be put only on the player.

If Ponder doesn't progress like I think he should, I'm going looking for coaches heads, not the players head.

By the way, we'll never get 50% of the posters on this site to agree on that even if he does progress.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Good stuff as always, but as I just posted, I'm not so sure that progression should be put only on the player.

If Ponder doesn't progress like I think he should, I'm going looking for coaches heads, not the players head.

By the way, we'll never get 50% of the posters on this site to agree on that even if he does progress.
    That was my point on the 50% thing. It is a lofty expectation for sure, but probably a pretty good measurement that he had a good year.

I'm not expecting 8-8 or 9-7. I think 6-10 is a better projection and this is if Ponder progresses and the newly acquired talent rises above last year's.

Also, don't give Ponder a free ride if he stinks it up, just because it's only his second year or he has a poor surrounding cast. Believe in what your eyes see when watching the man behind center (and not necessarily the stats) to determine if he deserves another year. Your statement on the coaches pretty much gives him a mulligan no matter how he performs in 2012. I want to say deja...but I won't

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Marr, I'm among the 50% that agrees. I think the kid is going to be an effective starter and a terrific leader. I'm cautiously optimistic and think the aforementioned is his floor, not his ceiling. In my mind's eye, it is a given he will progress on the field. He will have great moments (more than last year), make debatable decisions (less than last year), and will make less stupid throws/decisions than last year.

That said, I simply don't think it is realistic to expect this Team (to your point about coaches and roster decisions), to deliver more than 6 wins. Hmmmmm, am I happy about that? Fuck no. Is it reality? I think so.

There is no quick fix in Vikingland IMHO...

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

By the way, we'll never get 50% of the posters on this site to agree on that even if he does progress
    Disagree completely.

Regardless of what Ponder does this year, hell even before the season starts, you probably have close to, if not more than 50% already that believe our current coaching staff is sub-par.

Have you seen anyone praising anyone on our coaching staff now? More than 50 % of the posters? More than 10%?

I didn't think so.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

smegmavike is offline Coach

You are going to make excuses for Ponder before the season starts?
    I agree the coaching can improve, but feel Ponder should perform well this year even if it doesn't.
    Other players such as Peterson and Harvin play well despite some questionable coaching.
    I expect Ponder to play well enough to squelch any QB competition talk, as long as he stays healthy. He'll throw his share of bad passes as he continues to learn, but I think I'll blame those throws on Ponder, not Musgrave.

Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    You are going to make excuses for Ponder before the season starts?
    I agree the coaching can improve, but feel Ponder should perform well this year even if it doesn't.
    Other players such as Peterson and Harvin play well despite some questionable coaching.
    I expect Ponder to play well enough to squelch any QB competition talk, as long as he stays healthy. He'll throw his share of bad passes as he continues to learn, but I think I'll blame those throws on Ponder, not Musgrave.
    Peterson hasn't really gotten any better than when he entered the league my friend especially in the area RB's tend to improve upon with NFL coaching. (pass protection).

Same could be said for Harvin. A cat with his abilities should be challenging Welker for league stats, not getting half of them.

Again, (you call it excuses) I blame the coaches not the player. The players have the talent, its just up to the coaches to grow/refine/update that talent.

Anyone who thinks that the coaches don't have a significant role in that development are probably the ones who thing the coaches are only there to get coffee for the team meetings and that the vet players teach the youngsters.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

smegmavike is offline Coach
    Peterson hasn't really gotten any better than when he entered the league my friend especially in the area RB's tend to improve upon with NFL coaching. (pass protection).

Same could be said for Harvin. A cat with his abilities should be challenging Welker for league stats, not getting half of them.

Again, (you call it excuses) I blame the coaches not the player. The players have the talent, its just up to the coaches to grow/refine/update that talent.

Anyone who thinks that the coaches don't have a significant role in that development are probably the ones who thing the coaches are only there to get coffee for the team meetings and that the vet players teach the youngsters.
    Peterson has improved his pass blocking, though not as much as one would expect. Which QB was going to give Harvin those Welker like numbers?

There's no doubt the coaching needs to improve.

Point is, we don't need to have a scapegoat for Ponder before the season even starts.

If Ponder has what it takes, he will do well despite weak coaching.
    This is his year and I expect him to improve and flash at times.

Your last paragraph is wasted text.

I blame the coaches not the player.
    *cough* Joe Webb, Brett Favre, Matt Birk, *cough*

And lets not forget your love fest for Childress early in his time here & how it was the players failure to "execute" the play & not the coaching or play calling.

And if he does progress like you think he should, will you be praising the coaches instead of Ponder?

If he does, I for one will be giving most of the credit to Ponder.

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    And if he does progress like you think he should, will you be praising the coaches instead of Ponder?

If he does, I for one will be giving most of the credit to Ponder.
    Nope, I will give them credit if its due. I have no axe to grind against them. Their ours. If they do their job I'm happy.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast