Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31
  1. #1
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,271

    Ponder talks about Vikings busy offseason


    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  2. #2
    smegmavike is offline Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    904
    Even the best quarterbacks, with good offensive lines get a fair amount of pressure.
    Kalil will help some, but Ponder needs someone to throw to.
    He moves around well in the pocket, lets just hope some of these new guys can get open and Musgrave can see clearly on gameday.

  3. #3
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Even the best quarterbacks, with good offensive lines get a fair amount of pressure.
    Kalil will help some, but Ponder needs someone to throw to.
    He moves around well in the pocket, lets just hope some of these new guys can get open and Musgrave can see clearly on gameday.
    Interesting points my friend.

    Just not sure if you think Ponder doesn't have weapons this year or not. I for one think he has all kinds of weapons and more importantly, the type that fit the scheme to a T.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  4. #4
    smegmavike is offline Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    904
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Interesting points my friend.

    Just not sure if you think Ponder doesn't have weapons this year or not. I for one think he has all kinds of weapons and more importantly, the type that fit the scheme to a T.
    I'm just not convinced yet. Simpson should be able to take the top off the defense and stretch the field, but he does have a history of dropping balls. I'm excited about his potential as a crucial missing element in the offense however.
    The 'steal of the draft' Childs, hasn't even been able to get on the practice field much so it's hard to evaluate his potential based on anything other than his pre-injury college career.

    Though I am hopeful, I see a lot of unproven players in key positions who need to perform better than they ever have before in order for the team to see success.
    One could say the same about Musgrave.

    So like you, I think the weapons around Ponder will be better and the offense will show improvement. But I will remain skeptical until I see some games.

  5. #5
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    I'm just not convinced yet. Simpson should be able to take the top off the defense and stretch the field, but he does have a history of dropping balls. I'm excited about his potential as a crucial missing element in the offense however.
    The 'steal of the draft' Childs, hasn't even been able to get on the practice field much so it's hard to evaluate his potential based on anything other than his pre-injury college career.

    Though I am hopeful, I see a lot of unproven players in key positions who need to perform better than they ever have before in order for the team to see success.
    One could say the same about Musgrave.

    So like you, I think the weapons around Ponder will be better and the offense will show improvement. But I will remain skeptical until I see some games.
    Fair enough. As always I tend to be a bit overly optimistic this time of year, especially when it comes to the young talent.

    I sure like the "Speed" we've added that is sprinkled throughout the whole team.

    Going to be hard to maintain consistency this year for sure, but they should be fun to watch.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  6. #6
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,889
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    I'm just not convinced yet. Simpson should be able to take the top off the defense and stretch the field, but he does have a history of dropping balls. I'm excited about his potential as a crucial missing element in the offense however.
    The 'steal of the draft' Childs, hasn't even been able to get on the practice field much so it's hard to evaluate his potential based on anything other than his pre-injury college career.

    Though I am hopeful, I see a lot of unproven players in key positions who need to perform better than they ever have before in order for the team to see success.
    One could say the same about Musgrave.

    So like you, I think the weapons around Ponder will be better and the offense will show improvement. But I will remain skeptical until I see some games.
    Agreed, we may have added some good raw talent, but it is still quite raw. I'm expecting improvement, but nothing earth shattering.

    And yes, the coaching staff will have to pick up its game or it's all pretty much meaningless.

  7. #7
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Agreed, we may have added some good raw talent, but it is still quite raw. I'm expecting improvement, but nothing earth shattering.

    And yes, the coaching staff will have to pick up its game or it's all pretty much meaningless.
    Damn I'm getting excited. Just might have to make wings tonight for dinner just to make sure the recipe still works......
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  8. #8
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Damn I'm getting excited. Just might have to make wings tonight for dinner just to make sure the recipe still works......
    It has to be a much better season than last, right?

    I think we are a more "athletic" team than we were last year, which usually bodes well in today's game. The success and long term prospect of this team will largely be based on Ponder's development. If he doesn't make significant progress, then I think we will be left with a lot of question marks and probably a fair amount of coaching turnover.

  9. #9
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    It has to be a much better season than last, right?

    I think we are a more "athletic" team than we were last year, which usually bodes well in today's game. The success and long term prospect of this team will largely be based on Ponder's development. If he doesn't make significant progress, then I think we will be left with a lot of question marks and probably a fair amount of coaching turnover.
    I mentioned the speed in another thread. Definitely agree that we seem to have added in that area.

    As to Ponders progress, I think it will be significant this year, but if it isn't, one has to remember that the development of a QB doesn't happen over night. Sometimes it takes years and years.

    That, my friend, is something Vikings fans don't seem to be tolerant of. On most of the pages, call in radio shows etc, you hear talk about throwing the kid out already based on one year, and a partial one at that.

    Imagine were Giant fans would be today if they threw Eli out when they wanted to.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #10
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I mentioned the speed in another thread. Definitely agree that we seem to have added in that area.

    As to Ponders progress, I think it will be significant this year, but if it isn't, one has to remember that the development of a QB doesn't happen over night. Sometimes it takes years and years.

    That, my friend, is something Vikings fans don't seem to be tolerant of. On most of the pages, call in radio shows etc, you hear talk about throwing the kid out already based on one year, and a partial one at that.

    Imagine were Giant fans would be today if they threw Eli out when they wanted to.
    I agree that a top QB's peak probably isn't realized until around 5 seasons, but you should see improvement and potential to allow the franchise to continue the significant investment. I'm not much of a fan of the "let him play for 3 years and see if he can develop into a good QB". The price for the franchise is just too high. He has to show that he is worth the investment. I realize that this can be very subjective, but that's what the coaches and front office are paid to do.

    I do think that Ponder has a decent shot at being that guy from what I saw last year. But this year, he needs to progress significantly in order to warrant the continued investment. I'm not expecting him to be a world beater, as he is surrounded by a very young roster, but their needs to be improvement. Not just in his stats, but at his ability to play QB and lead this offense.

    If over 50% of the posters on this board think Ponder should be our starter going into next year, he probably did a decent job.
    Last edited by tastywaves; 07-18-2012 at 11:20 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •