Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 76
  1. #21
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    While I was watching the game, I was pleasently surprised by some of the throws that Ponder made. He seemed more willing to throw it down field. Look, he's not a good QB yet but.... honestly dont mind playing as long as he keeps improving.... we lost but can you say we didnt see some improvment?
    He wasn't more willing, Musgrave gave him more opportunities to do so. People knock on Musgrave for not opening it up for Ponder but he did exactly that. He's been weening him along & giving him more rope. Yesterday he gave him even more. After 3 turnovers, it appeared he shut him back down to dump offs, Ponder's comfort zone, to avoid yet another costly turnover & to avoid shattering any confidence Ponder might have built up.
    Last edited by singersp; 09-10-2013 at 07:01 AM.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  2. #22
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    Recalling Trent Dilfer's post-2011 draft criticism of Christian Ponder

    "[Ponder's] drop, his arm speed, everything about him ... it's one tempo," Dilfer said. "He has to play at the 7-on-7 tempo. The drop has to be rhythmical. The receivers have to be open. The ball goes one speed. The pocket has to be nice. Any time he's asked to quicken that up or there's people around him, his accuracy is awful. ...
    Recalling Trent Dilfer's post-2011 draft criticism of Christian Ponder - Minnesota Vikings news | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Vikings

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  3. #23
    vikinggreg's Avatar
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    4,773
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    He wasn't more willing, Musgrave gave him more opportunities to do so. People knock on Musgrave for not opening it up for Ponder but he did exactly that. He's been weening him along & giving him more rope. Yesterday he gave him even more. After 3 turnovers, it appeared he shut him back down to dump offs, Ponder's comfort zone, to avoid yet another costly turnover & to avoid shattering any confidence Ponder might have built up.
    Not too sure I know where you're coming from with some of this, I do agree with some of where you're going with Musgrave and the play calling but every play has multiple reads and reactions, whether its a receiver optioning his route based on a safety or a back or tight end with pass protection first outlet option route second. Now skipping any of the deep route options and going straight to a check down or safety outlet that's all Ponder.
    As for shutting down to a short game after 3 turnovers.... the fumble was the 3rd turn over cause the 3rd pick was on a deep pass to Rudolph and that was the last time the Vikings had the ball, but during that drive there was also a deep shot to Wright that went incomplete. The 3 and out before that had 2 deep shots that went incomplete to Jennings and Rudolph and a short pass to Jennings incomplete as well, only change in the position after the 3rd turn over the fumble due to Ponder's stumbling exchange was the Vikings did the next series out of the shotgun.

    LINK

  4. #24
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    Not too sure I know where you're coming from with some of this, I do agree with some of where you're going with Musgrave and the play calling but every play has multiple reads and reactions, whether its a receiver optioning his route based on a safety or a back or tight end with pass protection first outlet option route second. Now skipping any of the deep route options and going straight to a check down or safety outlet that's all Ponder.
    As for shutting down to a short game after 3 turnovers.... the fumble was the 3rd turn over cause the 3rd pick was on a deep pass to Rudolph and that was the last time the Vikings had the ball, but during that drive there was also a deep shot to Wright that went incomplete. The 3 and out before that had 2 deep shots that went incomplete to Jennings and Rudolph and a short pass to Jennings incomplete as well, only change in the position after the 3rd turn over the fumble due to Ponder's stumbling exchange was the Vikings did the next series out of the shotgun.

    LINK
    I guess I should have made it clear that the 3 turnovers I was refering to were the INT's as those were the ones related to the passing game.

    But judging by your reply, you must see what I was referring too with Ponder getting more deep passes. I don't think he was given as many in all his past games & Ponder just decided not to take them until now.

    If that is the case however, then it would be on Ponder for checking down & not Musgrave handcuffing him.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  5. #25
    vikinggreg's Avatar
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    4,773
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I guess I should have made it clear that the 3 turnovers I was refering to were the INT's as those were the ones related to the passing game.

    But judging by your reply, you must see what I was referring too with Ponder getting more deep passes. I don't think he was given as many in all his past games & Ponder just decided not to take them until now.

    If that is the case however, then it would be on Ponder for checking down & not Musgrave handcuffing him.
    I think most of it falls on Ponder and some might be play design but this is what I recall from one play early last season, Vikes were in 11 personnel around their own 40, Aromashodu was lined up on the right wr and the corner was 5 yards off the line, Devon put up his hand like Moss used too was even with the corner in less than 10 yards and gone, but Ponder had a play action fake to his left to Peterson and then throw a bubble screen to Jenkins on his left and saw none of what was going on too his right and the corner on the left was playing press, the backers where drawn in on the PA...the play blow up...I replayed this about 5-6 on my pvr last year. This was one of the few times I could see some pretty good separation by on of the receivers as well.

  6. #26
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    Fran Tarkenton on Vikings: 'It is up to you, Christian Ponder'

    Fran Tarkenton on Vikings: 'It is up to you, Christian Ponder' - TwinCities.com

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  7. #27
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

  8. #28
    Vikefan05's Avatar
    Vikefan05 is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I don't think we did Ponder any service with some of the playcalling.
    I'm not saying that he is the QB for the Vikings. I am saying that I saw growth.
    I rather see him throwing some deep passes and getting shit picked off than sitting in awe of his 68% completion percentage on nothing but dumpoffs. he took 2 steps forward and 1 step back so far. It's still progress. He completed 2 Balls over 40 yards... How many did he complete all last season. It's progress. Again... I'll probably will be calling for his head week 5... but I have atleast deccided to give him a few more games to show and prove.
    I agree. Didn't enjoy the outcome, but we had a receiver over 100 yards. Sad as that sounds, I saw improvement.
    Its better to lose the first game than the last one.

  9. #29
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1
    Well the good news we wont be seeing a lot of eight man fronts this season... oh wait. son of a bitch

    Ponder needs to have a GREAT game against the Bears just to bring his performance back up to a mediocre average.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  10. #30
    smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    886
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Fran Tarkenton on Vikings: 'It is up to you, Christian Ponder'

    Fran Tarkenton on Vikings: 'It is up to you, Christian Ponder' - TwinCities.com
    He's right about one thing, hope should not be a coaching strategy. The only way these guys stand a chance at Soldier field is to put out a significant physical effort, and run the ball down the Bears throats.
    And because I have given up hope Ponder will ever be adequate, I'm holding out hope for a benching at half time should he stink the place up again. I would rather he light it up, but have no faith at this point.
    Last edited by smegmavike; 09-11-2013 at 10:52 AM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •