Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Ponder Showed Enough

While I was watching the game, I was pleasently surprised by some of the throws that Ponder made. He seemed more willing to throw it down field. Look, he's not a good QB yet but.... honestly dont mind playing as long as he keeps improving.... we lost but can you say we didnt see some improvment?

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    While I was watching the game, I was pleasently surprised by some of the throws that Ponder made. He seemed more willing to throw it down field. Look, he's not a good QB yet but.... honestly dont mind playing as long as he keeps improving.... we lost but can you say we didnt see some improvment?
    He made one really, really huge mistake. A mistake that was completely inexcusable and likely cost us at least 10 points. But you are correct in saying that he did look more comfortable throwing it down the field from the pocket and he wasn't nearly as bad as people are saying.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries
    As the soreness wears off from the loss, I think maybe we will see some of that. I don't think he will be the elite guy we need still, but I will settle for serviceable with AP in there.

C Mac D is online now Posting to P'own
    Wow... I can't agree with this at all. He was awful.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

kingpin9995 is offline Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Wow... I can't agree with this at all. He was awful.
    Really? Are you two homers really being serious? If you can't see that Ponder is nowhere near a starting qb in the NFL, you really are the worst of homers. The guy has ZERO pocket presence. He has a not ready for the NFL arm. Defenses sit on the islands outside the hash marks waiting for him to throw one of his balloons to pick off. He should have had two pick sixes, one degated by that criminal Suh, and the other by a butterfingered corner. The guy has one quality that is good. He can run, and that is good because he needs to because he will not stand tall in a pocket and make throws. He's a dog who will be on the bench by week 5 when we are 1-4 or 0-5. Don't you get it fools? Ponder is living in a quarterbacks dream with Peterson in his backfield. He has the ideal situation that really good qb's lick their chops at. 8 or 9 in the box and open spaces to throw everywhere down the field. The excuse of no receivers is gone, and he STILL can't make the throws. He can't make a good throw on 3rd down. What was their 3rd down efficiency? Keep propping up this imposter. He'll be siting the pines in 4 weeks never to be heard from again. Right now our third stringer could outplay him. He at least has an NFL arm.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    He is not nor will he be a starting caliber QB in the NFL. Actually the more I see him the more I don't even think he is backup material.

He has an innate ability to make even the most routine plays look impossible. The other games that I watched the QB's were making throws that all I could think about was how can they do that and make it look routine when we make a simple 5 yard out look like a major undertaking.

I am putting the blame for all of this right up at the top with the Wilfs.

They have spent all of their time pandering for a new stadium and defending themselves in court and I do not think they have had a good enough handle on what is actually happening to the team.

iowa is offline Rookie
    It was a typical Ponder outing, at times he looked OK, at other times he seemed like a deer in the headlights. I figured this was a make it or break it year for him, if he plays like he did against Detroit yesterday he's going to be looking for a job next year. You can't put it all on Ponder though, it was a team effort of suckiness yesterday, including the coaching staff. It's only week one so I'll keep drinkin' the purple kool aid and hope for the best.
    None

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    I don't think we did Ponder any service with some of the playcalling.
    I'm not saying that he is the QB for the Vikings. I am saying that I saw growth.
    I rather see him throwing some deep passes and getting shit picked off than sitting in awe of his 68% completion percentage on nothing but dumpoffs. he took 2 steps forward and 1 step back so far. It's still progress. He completed 2 Balls over 40 yards... How many did he complete all last season. It's progress. Again... I'll probably will be calling for his head week 5... but I have atleast deccided to give him a few more games to show and prove.

tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame
    While we were trying to go deep with Ponder, Detroit goes to dump off passes and screens and tears us up. Detroit played a great game of "hide the bush" and we obliged nicely, guess the guys are getting enough at home.

But hey, Ponder's YPA was 8.43 while Peterson's YPC was 5.2.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast