Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    I kinda think this decision has already been made, and that's why we've seen who play how much in each game. As the starter, Ponder played sparingly week 1, and then through the first half in weeks 2 and 3. Then we saw Webb, the backup, come in for some much needed reps, and of course, start the final, week 4 preseason game. Sage gets a lil work here and there cuz we already know what he's got but still want to knock some rust off, and MBT gets to finish off the first and last game's reps, but doesn't get to play in the 2 middle games because there just weren't any reps left after we played the starters for a half or more.

In other words, I don't think Webb is going anywhere. Maybe, if MBT had looked a lil better, he might have replaced Sage, but 50% completions with 1TD to 2 INTs isn't likely to win you the job.

And, its not like everybody is looking for the Vikings 4th QB...most teams have guys in that spot who already "know the system." I'm not thinking he's looked so good that he won't make it through another year on the PS. Then, next year, when we've got a better idea of what Ponder can do, we'll have a better idea of whether we still need the "vet" or if we can go with the flyer with potential.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Personally I like both Ponder & Webb & if they were trying to shove Ponder out the door at this point, I'd be screaming too. There goes your bias. I don't favor Webb over Ponder, I believe both should stay along with MBT.

I have been watching Webb. It appears to me as if our new QB coach is trying to get him to be more of a pocket passer. I haven't seen him take off running like some people claim he's been doing. In fact, he's only ran the ball 6 times in 4 games, which is less than Ponder ran in 3 games.

He looked bad on his first outing, but I felt he looked a lot better a week a go. He was & has completed passes on the run & stayed in the pocket & completed passes as well. A week ago he was 6 of 8 making some really nice passes. One was thrown away & the another was a little off target.

Last night one he threw away and he had a couple dropped on him. I think if we finally have a decent QB coach in there now, let him do his work and see where it goes. The last one certainly didn't do well.

As far as Asiata, Hilliard & DeGeare are concerned, I don't think Asiata will be cut. Hilliard & DeGeare probably may be cut, but that doesn't mean they'll never amount to anything as far as starting material goes. With Webb, that's exactly what some are claiming.

Therein lie the difference.
    Fair enough.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni
    If there was any expectations for this season, I would call the cut a mistake.
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Tad7 View Post
    If there was any expectations for this season, I would call the cut a mistake.
    I believe their expectations is the reason they did make the cut.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Vikings eyeing Brian Hoyer as backup QB?

New England Patriots quarterback Brian Hoyer cleared waivers on Saturday, he became a free agent. Now on the open market, the Minnesota Vikings could be eyeing Hoyer as a potential replacement for current No. 2 passer Joe Webb.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Here's the thing about Webb - his accuracy should have progressed more than it has at this point. And, as to turning him into a WR, I have heard from good sources that he can't catch.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Freya is offline Team Alumni
    I like this move. With all three of our QBs, what we have is simply POTENTIAL at this point. However, I like that much better than confirmed mediocrity.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Here's the thing about Webb - his accuracy should have progressed more than it has at this point. And, as to turning him into a WR, I have heard from good sources that he can't catch.

=Z=
    make him a DB then..isnt that what they do with Wr's who cant catch?
    Last edited by 2beersTommy; 09-03-2012 at 08:24 AM.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beersTommy View Post
    make him a DB then..isnt that what they do with Wr's who cant catch?
    Not in Minnesota.

Otherwise our DB's would be Berrian & Williamson. :P

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast