Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Ponder, Sage, MBT as QB; Webb Out?

Little rumor as it is, I don't have problem with this. I have said before I can't see where Webb really does much for us...he's just not elite anywhere...just being an athlete isn't enough.

thoughts?

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Meh.

I like having Webb come off the bench, but PA put it well, if our starter goes down for an extended period of time, Sage has to be the guy, not Webb.

Webb can't be a receiver, he has to play QB, if he can't do that... time to move on.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Wouldn't be surprised or upset with this move. I think you have Webb classified right, great athlete but not great at any one position.

I didn't see tonight's scrimmage, but from the box score it looks like Webb received a couple series and the rest was split between Sage and McBLT. Seemed liked the coaches wanted to see if they should replace Webb with one of them. If they showed enough tonight, it wouldn't surprise me.

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Well the only thing I don't like about that is all 3 of those guys are pocket guys, meaning a defense wouldn't have to adjust much if Ponder goes down and Sage or MBT come in for relief. On the other hand, Webb is just awful when a team has time to prepare for him, but Ponder did get hurt a few times last year and Webb came in and shined in that role.

I think I would still keep Webb just for that change up option, it works too well. I would even bring him in mid game as a spark if Ponder were struggling. And if Ponder does go out for an extended period of time Sage could start. Webb is too good of a change up, and who knows, maybe they'll find another role for him eventually. As long as it's not for those awful blazer packages or that "wildcat" garbage.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    This debate is stupid.
    Sage isn't going to take you to the promised land. Niether is Webb.
    Mcloud Bethel could be better than Ponder but we will never be given the chance to find out.
    Truth is, this year will be no better than the last. And this ownership continues to make the Vikings a waste of my time.
    Apologies to those I'm offending, but I have been here since they started, and I would like to win a superbowl someday.
    If they keep Aromashado, Jenkins, Carr, Frampton, Sherels,or Dean on their team, they have little chance. I can assure you they will keep some of them.
    Fans need to realize that owners don't have to win to make money. Winning isn't always the goal.
    How else does a franchise stay in business for half a century without a superbowl win?
    I've been a loyal fan forever and have grown weary of the product this organization has put on the field.
    Blind optomism has carried me forever.
    I'll be back when they go to the superbowl.
    Fair weather fan? Hardly.
    Forever hopeful. Never fulfilled. The Vikings fan creed.

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Yeah I don't get why they held MBT out for both the 2nd and 3rd preseason games. We already know what we have with Webb and Sage so I think more of that time in those games should've went to MBT. I'm glad we at least got to see him for an entire half tonight. For the most part I thought he looked good. That TD pass to Wright was a thing of beauty, but then the INT looked like it was just thrown up for grabs.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Ponder, Sage, MBT as QB; Webb Out?

Sage needs to be the number2 guy. Keep MBTETC as the three and either figure out a spot to develop Webb like DB or ST or cut him loose.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
    Webb is just awful when a team has time to prepare for him
    This.

This here I've heard several times here now & I think people continue to say it for the sake of saying it, yet I have no idea what they are basing it off of unless it's 1 game.

Webb has started a total of 2 regular season games times according to NFL.com, meaning that teams have prepared only a maximum of twice knowing he was going to start.

In start #1 we won 26-17 against the Eagles & he completed 65.4% of his passes & scored a TD.

In start #2 we lost 20-13 against the Lions & he completed 62.5% of his passes & threw 1 pick.

So where does the "just awful" part come from from?

Ponder completed less than 58% of his passes in 6 of his 10 starts. I'm not saying Webb is better than Ponder, just trying to point out how IMO, it's ridiculous to claim "Webb is just awful when a team has time to prepare for him" based on 1 loss where he played better than several of Ponder's losses.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Bottom line for me is, I'd hate for MBT to be stuck on the practice squad. I believe he'd be snatched up rather quickly.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    This.

This here I've heard several times here now & I think people continue to say it for the sake of saying it, yet I have no idea what they are basing it off of unless it's 1 game.

Webb has started a total of 2 regular season games times according to NFL.com, meaning that teams have prepared only a maximum of twice knowing he was going to start.

In start #1 we won 26-17 against the Eagles & he completed 65.4% of his passes & scored a TD.

In start #2 we lost 20-13 against the Lions & he completed 62.5% of his passes & threw 1 pick.

So where does the "just awful" part come from from?

Ponder completed less than 58% of his passes in 6 of his 10 starts. I'm not saying Webb is better than Ponder, just trying to point out how IMO, it's ridiculous to claim "Webb is just awful when a team has time to prepare for him" based on 1 loss where he played better than several of Ponder's losses.
    I woud point to the Bears game outdoors as well, where right up until gametime, Webb was penciled in as starter until Favre wound up starting (and getting hurt a few series in)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast