Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    You are joking right?
    Just because a player wears purple doesn't mean he is good.
    Cutler is a damn good QB. His biggest issues is his attitude and the way he is perceived. However, make no mistake, the guy is damn good. No team that Cutler is on, would be dead last in passing. Ponder is a bum. He's our bum but a bum. His 234 yards and 3 TDs... was a great Ponder game but it wasn't prolific. The kid is just the definition of average. I would swap Ponder for Cutler in a heart beat. I believe our FO would too.

LASTLY....people see to miss this point.... so please....
    *******pay attention************

None of them plays with a running back that teams are putting 9...yes 9 in the box to stop. None. Not one. You give Stafford or Cutler 9 in the box and they would make the Hall of Fame. Our QB SUCKSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Kevon, I know how much you love strong arm quarterback's. But, there is a lot more that goes into being a successful QB than how well you can throw the ball. I'm not saying Ponder has earned any level of respect at this point, but I'm not convinced that swapping him with Cutler would make us a better team.

And you can stop with your myth about how any decent QB would be instant HOF'ers with Peterson in the backfield. It sounds good, but it doesn't have any meat behind it. Much of Peterson's success comes because MN is a run first oriented offense. Being good at running the ball, doesn't equate to more success in passing the ball. Actually quite the opposite is true as has been pointed out many times in these multitude of threads.

Your same argument could be used to say that GB should instantly have one of the best running games in the league because of their prolific passing ability that causes defenses to focus on shutting that done over anything else. I would wager that if you put Peterson in GB or NE, that he would have less production than he has today with MN.

Cutler has a much better arm than Ponder, but that doesn't necessarily make him a better QB. Ponder may never improve from where he is at today and may very well not be the answer for MN. But saying Cutler makes us instant contenders is bit of a stretch for me as well.

Ponder’s Role Solidified?

I just don't see the arm strength but time will tell
    I hope I'm wrong about him
    None

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    I am baffled how people love Ponder so much. He is an average at very best QB. Yes he's only started what 26ish games. Should he get more time? Maybe. But how long does it take to figure out if he's got "it?" Will it be after 42 starts? 58? When will the apologists realize that he just isn't that good. That when he drops back into the pocket he lasts a split second before freaking out and looking to move out of it. He looks scared and confused back there most of the time. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

GO NINERS!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Hold the phone, maybe I can help end this debate with a simple little chart.

If you didn't think TJoke was the answer, there's no reason for you to believe Ponder is the answer. And 3 teams have given up on the first guy already.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Ponder’s Role Solidified?

Agreed.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
    Hold the phone, maybe I can help end this debate with a simple little chart.

If you didn't think TJoke was the answer, there's no reason for you to believe Ponder is the answer. And 3 teams have given up on the first guy already.
    Ah yes, the stat chart. Obviously the best way to evaluate a player. Because the stats ALWAYS tell the whole story, and they DEFINITELY account for any external factors...

Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Ah yes, the stat chart. Obviously the best way to evaluate a player. Because the stats ALWAYS tell the whole story, and they DEFINITELY account for any external factors...

Heck, I think someone used a fantasy football ranking recently to prove a point.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VKG4LFE View Post
    I am baffled how people love Ponder so much. He is an average at very best QB. Yes he's only started what 26ish games. Should he get more time? Maybe. But how long does it take to figure out if he's got "it?" Will it be after 42 starts? 58? When will the apologists realize that he just isn't that good. That when he drops back into the pocket he lasts a split second before freaking out and looking to move out of it. He looks scared and confused back there most of the time. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

GO NINERS!
    The part in bold I disagree with. I would have agreed halfway through the season, but I saw a definite improvement in his pocket presence and comfort level in the last quarter. If anything, that is what allowed him to perform as well as he did the last four weeks.

My complaint with Ponder is more related to arm strength - he simply doesn't have the strength to get the ball down field with enough velocity. It makes his long throws that much easier to defend against, and virtually eliminates the middle of the field past 20 yards. Now I know as well as everyone else that this can be overcome - look at Alex Smith, he is in the exact same boat. And arm strength is second to accuracy and poise - look at Joe Webb. But it still frustrates me.

I do like how Musgrave tweaked the offense to take better advantage of our strengths and hide our weaknesses. I also understand that Ponder played well enough in the last four games to earn a spot on next years roster, although I would personally rather see him compete for the starting spot. I am cautiously optimistic for next year, but I think that stems more from the potential of new talent more than the potential for Ponder to become a great QB. He is an average, maybe slightly above average QB. But given the quality of QBs out there (or lack there of), that may be the best option available.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Heck, I think someone used a fantasy football ranking recently to prove a point.
    Well that is legitimate.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Ranger is offline Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Well that is legitimate.
    Seriously guys?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast