Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Did you see his numbers when compared to Jay Cutler? Cutler has two good running backs and one of the best receivers in the league, and Stafford, while a greater physical talent, wasn't much better than Ponder. He had a significantly larger yardage, but he threw significantly more passes, as well. He also has a vastly superior set of receiving options.

I honestly feel that the division is Discount Double Check, followed by a large drop off, then everybody else.
    Numbers never tell the whole story. Cutler and Stafford had lines that were worse than ours. If you take all 4 QB's and put them on the same team and evaluate them Ponder is in 4th place. The teams always change around the QB so their performance tends to change with that but give them all identical tools to work with and ponder is just plain the 4th most talented QB in our division.

Ranger is offline Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Numbers never tell the whole story. Cutler and Stafford had lines that were worse than ours. If you take all 4 QB's and put them on the same team and evaluate them Ponder is in 4th place. The teams always change around the QB so their performance tends to change with that but give them all identical tools to work with and ponder is just plain the 4th most talented QB in our division.
    interception-within-withinyou-get-point-jay

jay-cutler-funny-face-nfl-referee.jpeg

screen-shot-2012-09-15-6

Jay Cutler is not much better than Ponder, if at all. He has a tremendous arm, unbelievably strong really, but has a ton of issues. His footwork is sloppy, causing him to rely on the arm too much. He holds the ball far too long. He makes awful throws on a frequent basis. You guys have watched him for a while now, do you really think he's that good?
    Last edited by Ranger; 01-09-2013 at 10:45 AM.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Jay Cutler is not much better than Ponder, if at all. He has a tremendous arm, unbelievably strong really, but has a ton of issues. His footwork is sloppy, causing him to rely on the arm too much. He holds the ball far too long. He makes awful throws on a frequent basis. You guys have watched him for a while now, do you really think he's that good?
    Have to agree with Ranger on this one. Cutler is more gifted physically, but he has plenty of issues that cause his team losses. Not sure the Vikings would be any better off with Cutler than they are with Ponder.

As far as physical talent, Ponder is easily #4, but that has never been a good indicator for a QB's success in this league.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Have to agree with Ranger on this one. Cutler is more gifted physically, but he has plenty of issues that cause his team losses. Not sure the Vikings would be any better off with Cutler than they are with Ponder.

As far as physical talent, Ponder is easily #4, but that has never been a good indicator for a QB's success in this league.
    You are joking right?
    Just because a player wears purple doesn't mean he is good.
    Cutler is a damn good QB. His biggest issues is his attitude and the way he is perceived. However, make no mistake, the guy is damn good. No team that Cutler is on, would be dead last in passing. Ponder is a bum. He's our bum but a bum. His 234 yards and 3 TDs... was a great Ponder game but it wasn't prolific. The kid is just the definition of average. I would swap Ponder for Cutler in a heart beat. I believe our FO would too.

LASTLY....people see to miss this point.... so please....
    *******pay attention************

None of them plays with a running back that teams are putting 9...yes 9 in the box to stop. None. Not one. You give Stafford or Cutler 9 in the box and they would make the Hall of Fame. Our QB SUCKSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by kevoncox; 01-09-2013 at 11:33 AM.

Ranger is offline Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    You are joking right?
    Just because a player wears purple doesn't mean he is good.
    Cutler is a damn good QB. His biggest issues is his attitude and the way he is perceived. However, make no mistake, the guy is damn good. No team that Cutler is on, would be dead last in passing. Ponder is a bum. He's our bum but a bum. His 234 yards and 3 TDs... was a great Ponder game but it wasn't prolific. The kid is just the definition of average. I would swap Ponder for Cutler in a heart beat. I believe our FO would too.
    What evidence do you have to support Cutler as being a "damn good" quarterback? His statistics don't reflect this. His game tape doesn't reflect it, either.

Cutler can throw laser beam passes down the field, unfortunately they frequently land in the chest and hands of the wrong guys on the field. When he's not hurling lightning bolts, he's holding onto the ball until somebody eventually sacks him.

His lifetime passer rating is an 84. In seven years, he has 36 more touchdowns than picks. A true "damn good" quarterback, Discount Double Dork, was +31...this year alone.

I'm not saying that Ponder is better than Cutler. I'm saying that the difference between them isn't this yawning chasm that people assume it is, particularly when you consider the results from this season. Cutler has worse protection? He also had a top NFL receiver healthy for the whole season. He has a running back that is one of (if not the best) the top pass receiving running backs in the league.

He's a middle of the road quarterback. Seven years in, it's probably all he's ever going to be. At least Ponder is young and can potentially evolve into a top flight guy, or at least a passer better than Cutler.

Blog Entries
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	interception-within-withinyou-get-the-point-jay-cutler-nfl-f-sports-1347802439.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	451

Name:	jay-cutler-funny-face-nfl-referee.jpeg 
Views:	1 
Size:	250.1 KB 
ID:	452

Name:	screen-shot-2012-09-15-at-6-46-16-pm.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	453

I guess we can agree to disagree on this one but my guess is 99% of the football world including coaches and GM's would take Culter over Ponder if they had the chance.

I could certainly pull up a video of ponder from any of his several sub 100 yard games and produce a fairly compelling video.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moss View Post
    Except his best games (according to QBR) were against:
    GB - Best team we played all season - 3td 0int 234
    SF - 2nd Best team we played - 3td(1 rush) 0 int 198
    STL - Solid Team - 1td(rush) 0 int 131
    DET - okay, they're bad - 2td 0int 221
    20 of 27 week 1, wasn't a bad effort. I know it was a loss, but what about the Indy game? Sure wasn't his fault we lost that one. Week 6 vs Deadskins. He had a hell of a time in that one but I think played well. That defense was eating up our OL all day. (21 passing 1rst downs/4 rushing....AD only had 79 yards off of 19 rushes). Defense sucked against the run and in the red zone.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries
    Was someone actually posting fantasy football stats as a basis for a point?

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    LOL, not me.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Ranger is offline Coach
    Only if you think I was posting the Inception spoof trailer as anything other than comedy.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast