Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpin9995 View Post
    The closest thing I can compare Ponder to is a young Rich Gannon. Both very athletic but limited in their skill sets as far as throwing the ball. As we know Gannon in his later years figured it out and became a pretty good qb for a few seasons. Ponder could be that kind of player, not a franchise guy but a guy with all the cards falling in the right place having a chance to maybe hit one MAYBE two Superbowl runs. Let's face it Rodgers types don't come along very often and the Pack hit on that one where so many teams passed. Who knew, I just wish instead of Erasmus James and Williamson we would have nabbed him before the Pack that year. A monumental bust of a draft when you look at what was there for us and what we went and took. Unbelievable when you think about it, BUT, even Rodgers on the wrong team could have failed. He had the perfect scenario sitting behind Favre for 3 plus years . Who knows if he's thrown into the fire day one it's possibe he struggles and never really shows what he has been able to.
    Gannon actually was very fast and had accuracy early. He was never given the chance. In fact he had a contract with the Vikings that paid him substantially less if he never took a regular season snap.
    Ponder is somewhat fast and inaccurate, but has been given the chance to prove himself.
    I don't see the much similarity between the two.

I do agree with the poor draft history, and the inability to spot talent.

A number of players that didn't do well with the Vikings have gone on to prosper on other teams. Gannon was just one of them.

purplejokr is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Ponder '11: 70.1 QBR, 54.3%, 1853 yds, 6.4 avg, 13tds / 13 ints
    Ponder '12: 81.2 QBR, 62.1%, 2935 yds, 6.1 avg, 18tds / 12 ints

If he has a similar jump next season, will people still be calling to replace him? That would put him at...

Ponder '13: 92.3 QBR, 69.9%, 4017 yds, 5.8 avg, 23tds / 11ints

Obviously, the percentage would be asking a lot, and the average will probably stay around where it's been, but would the rest appeal to anybody here? Would it be a significant enough improvement to assume he's a franchise quarterback?
    +1

I have not given up on Ponder. I feel that QBs take a few seasons truly get acclimated to the pro game. The upcoming season is Ponder's make or break year for me. I am hopeful and a touch optimistic.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by purplejokr View Post
    +1

I have not given up on Ponder. I feel that QBs take a few seasons truly get acclimated to the pro game. The upcoming season is Ponder's make or break year for me. I am hopeful and a touch optimistic.
    All these are reasons why stats aren't the end all. Ponder didn't pass the eye test to me. He had several games early on where he padded his completion percentage and it quickly spiraled down. Some thing with his td to int ratio. Padded against the easy teams and spiraled when the going got tough.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    All these are reasons why stats aren't the end all. Ponder didn't pass the eye test to me. He had several games early on where he padded his completion percentage and it quickly spiraled down. Some thing with his td to int ratio. Padded against the easy teams and spiraled when the going got tough.
    Actually agree with you on this, Ponder didn't impress me at all. Far too jittery in the pocket, held my breath every time he went back to pass.

We'll see though, he has another season (maybe two) to develop, so I'm rooting for him as long as he's wearing purple.

The guy got us to the playoffs... then again, so did Frerotte/Jackson.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Ponder '11: 70.1 QBR, 54.3%, 1853 yds, 6.4 avg, 13tds / 13 ints
    Ponder '12: 81.2 QBR, 62.1%, 2935 yds, 6.1 avg, 18tds / 12 ints

If he has a similar jump next season, will people still be calling to replace him? That would put him at...

Ponder '13: 92.3 QBR, 69.9%, 4017 yds, 5.8 avg, 23tds / 11ints

Obviously, the percentage would be asking a lot, and the average will probably stay around where it's been, but would the rest appeal to anybody here? Would it be a significant enough improvement to assume he's a franchise quarterback?
    If you're going to play the game, might as well play it right. Ponder only played in 10.25 games in 2011, so if you base those numbers on a per game basis, as it should be, the numbers look more like this;

Ponder '13: 92.3 QBR, 69.9%, 2976 YDs, 5.8 AVG, 17 TDs, 4 INTs

Now what do you think?

Now if you still feel the percentage would be asking a lot, and the average will probably stay around where it's been, then obviously the QBR would drop considerably.

What you're left looking at are fewer TD's & fewer INT's.

Now what do you think?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I think even if he does reach his full potential he will still be the 4th best QB in our 4 team division and that is the part that worries me. That is a huge liability when the other 3 teams have QB's who could very well still be playing at a high level for another 8 -10 years.

Ranger is offline Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    If you're going to play the game, might as well play it right. Ponder only played in 10.25 games in 2011, so if you base those numbers on a per game basis, as it should be, the numbers look more like this;

Ponder '13: 92.3 QBR, 69.9%, 2976 YDs, 5.8 AVG, 17 TDs, 4 INTs

Now what do you think?

Now if you still feel the percentage would be asking a lot, and the average will probably stay around where it's been, then obviously the QBR would drop considerably.

What you're left looking at are fewer TD's & fewer INT's.

Now what do you think?
    It's difficult to say. I suppose it would involve some understanding of the passing weapons around him, as well as his protection. If he's constantly under pressure with the same receivers we have now, and is putting up improved numbers, then I'd probably be satisfied. If he somehow winds up in possession of great talents at the receiver position and has Brady-like time to deliver the ball, then I would be less impressed.

Ultimately, if he continues to show signs of marked improvement, I suspect that I'll be happy.

Ranger is offline Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I think even if he does reach his full potential he will still be the 4th best QB in our 4 team division and that is the part that worries me. That is a huge liability when the other 3 teams have QB's who could very well still be playing at a high level for another 8 -10 years.
    Did you see his numbers when compared to Jay Cutler? Cutler has two good running backs and one of the best receivers in the league, and Stafford, while a greater physical talent, wasn't much better than Ponder. He had a significantly larger yardage, but he threw significantly more passes, as well. He also has a vastly superior set of receiving options.

I honestly feel that the division is Discount Double Check, followed by a large drop off, then everybody else.

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Except his best games (according to QBR) were against:
    GB - Best team we played all season - 3td 0int 234
    SF - 2nd Best team we played - 3td(1 rush) 0 int 198
    STL - Solid Team - 1td(rush) 0 int 131
    DET - okay, they're bad - 2td 0int 221

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moss View Post
    Except his best games (according to QBR) were against:
    GB - Best team we played all season - 3td 0int 234
    SF - 2nd Best team we played - 3td(1 rush) 0 int 198
    STL - Solid Team - 1td(rush) 0 int 131
    DET - okay, they're bad - 2td 0int 221
    I was far from impressed with his play this year, but I will give him credit for playing his best games when facing the best teams and when we needed a win to stay in the playoff race. Would have really liked to see him perform in the playoff game.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast