Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Ponderís Role Solidified?

Vikingsí Finish May Have Solidified Ponderís Role

Vikings’ Finish May Have Solidified Ponder’s Role ę CBS Minnesota

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    If we have Ponder and the rest of the division has Rodgers, Stafford and Cutler we may sneak in a playoff run here and there but will never be able to dominate the division over time or consistently make championship runs.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I don't think it solidifies anything. It tells us that Webb was not a viable alternative, and hopefully it silenced some of the more adamant fans... but there is no way that Ponder should be the defacto starter next season.

I do think he has earned the chance to compete for the starting spot. But I also think we need to bring in a serious candidate for the position in to compete with him.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

kingpin9995 is offline Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I don't think it solidifies anything. It tells us that Webb was not a viable alternative, and hopefully it silenced some of the more adamant fans... but there is no way that Ponder should be the defacto starter next season.

I do think he has earned the chance to compete for the starting spot. But I also think we need to bring in a serious candidate for the position in to compete with him.
    Speilman embarrassed himself and the rest of MN with the performance of Webb Saturday night. To have the most important position on the field and the backup role filled by Jolly Joe who is not even a third string qb in this league was a pathetic failure on his part. The game was over before it started thanks to the decision to put a green deer in the headlights as your backup qb that can be asked to play at a moments notice. Same old Vikings. And yes in this division Ponder will never be the guy to take this team to the top. He's average at best.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    The best thing Ponder did this year was stay healthy all season, until now. Almost all of the best QB's in the league rarely miss games. To me his not being able to go was a big negative on his season, worse than if he had just had a bad game(which I sorta expected).
    I think he is probably the starter next year, and with better recievers and more experience he should get better. But if he can't stay healthy he won't be here for very long.
    I really hope they don't go after any of the big name quarterbacks that could be available. They are available for a reason(no to Alex Smith, Tony Romo, Michael Vick).

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    The best thing Ponder did this year was stay healthy all season, until now. Almost all of the best QB's in the league rarely miss games. To me his not being able to go was a big negative on his season, worse than if he had just had a bad game(which I sorta expected).
    I think he is probably the starter next year, and with better recievers and more experience he should get better. But if he can't stay healthy he won't be here for very long.
    I really hope they don't go after any of the big name quarterbacks that could be available. They are available for a reason(no to Alex Smith, Tony Romo, Michael Vick).
    When was the last time I told you that you were wise beyond your years?

The checkbook will be opened again. A FA WR will be added, hopefully he is a big tall possession kindof guy and they might even spend on a older vet QB to come in and hold Ponders jock while he continues to learn on the field.

By this time next year, no one will be worrying about Ponder anymore, they will have moved on to bigger and better things like the new color of our "Away" uniforms.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Ranger is offline Coach
    Ponder: 81.2 QBR, 62.1%, 2935 yds, 6.1 avg, 18 tds / 12 ints
    Cutler: 81.3 QBR, 58.8 %, 3033 yds, 7.0 avg, 19 tds / 14 ints
    Stafford: 78.9 QBR, 59.8 %, 4967 yds, 6.8 avg, 20 tds / 17 ints

Ponder, in his second year, appears to be holding his own. This division, following quarterbacks and teams, is clearly Green Bay, then everybody else. The difference is, Cutler is probably not going to be anybody other than the Cutler we've seen. Stafford and Ponder still might improve, and I'd say the stacked boxes against Peterson are offset by the fact that Stafford has a much better group of receivers.

Lets not be too quick to write off Ponder. He's still a baby, and just because recent young quarterbacks have had immediate success (Newton, Luck, RGIII, Dalton, Ryan, Flacco) doesn't mean that they all can. Some need time (Brees), and some of those young players have regressed from their stellar rookie campaigns (Newton, Dalton).

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Ponder: 81.2 QBR, 62.1%, 2935 yds, 6.1 avg, 18 tds / 12 ints
    Cutler: 81.3 QBR, 58.8 %, 3033 yds, 7.0 avg, 19 tds / 14 ints
    Stafford: 78.9 QBR, 59.8 %, 4967 yds, 6.8 avg, 20 tds / 17 ints

Ponder, in his second year, appears to be holding his own. This division, following quarterbacks and teams, is clearly Green Bay, then everybody else. The difference is, Cutler is probably not going to be anybody other than the Cutler we've seen. Stafford and Ponder still might improve, and I'd say the stacked boxes against Peterson are offset by the fact that Stafford has a much better group of receivers.

Lets not be too quick to write off Ponder. He's still a baby, and just because recent young quarterbacks have had immediate success (Newton, Luck, RGIII, Dalton, Ryan, Flacco) doesn't mean that they all can. Some need time (Brees), and some of those young players have regressed from their stellar rookie campaigns (Newton, Dalton).
    Top shelf my friend. Top shelf indeed.

Lets not forget one thing, even though the offense revolved around AD the second half of the season, it didn't in the first half. Truth of the matter is, AD had something like 1 game of over 100 yards until Percy went down.

At one point, 4 or 5 games into the schedule young Ponder, with just Percy was the highest rated QB in accuracy. Percy and Welker were leading the league in catches and yardage and then the sky fell and Percy went down.

Then, and only then did AD take over.

And one more thing, even when AD took over, AD still got his yards with Ponder under center. Did anyone notice that he didn't with someone like Webb under center? Anyone, Buehler, Buehler?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Ranger is offline Coach
    Ponder '11: 70.1 QBR, 54.3%, 1853 yds, 6.4 avg, 13tds / 13 ints
    Ponder '12: 81.2 QBR, 62.1%, 2935 yds, 6.1 avg, 18tds / 12 ints

If he has a similar jump next season, will people still be calling to replace him? That would put him at...

Ponder '13: 92.3 QBR, 69.9%, 4017 yds, 5.8 avg, 23tds / 11ints

Obviously, the percentage would be asking a lot, and the average will probably stay around where it's been, but would the rest appeal to anybody here? Would it be a significant enough improvement to assume he's a franchise quarterback?

kingpin9995 is offline Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Ponder '11: 70.1 QBR, 54.3%, 1853 yds, 6.4 avg, 13tds / 13 ints
    Ponder '12: 81.2 QBR, 62.1%, 2935 yds, 6.1 avg, 18tds / 12 ints

If he has a similar jump next season, will people still be calling to replace him? That would put him at...

Ponder '13: 92.3 QBR, 69.9%, 4017 yds, 5.8 avg, 23tds / 11ints

Obviously, the percentage would be asking a lot, and the average will probably stay around where it's been, but would the rest appeal to anybody here? Would it be a significant enough improvement to assume he's a franchise quarterback?
    The closest thing I can compare Ponder to is a young Rich Gannon. Both very athletic but limited in their skill sets as far as throwing the ball. As we know Gannon in his later years figured it out and became a pretty good qb for a few seasons. Ponder could be that kind of player, not a franchise guy but a guy with all the cards falling in the right place having a chance to maybe hit one MAYBE two Superbowl runs. Let's face it Rodgers types don't come along very often and the Pack hit on that one where so many teams passed. Who knew, I just wish instead of Erasmus James and Williamson we would have nabbed him before the Pack that year. A monumental bust of a draft when you look at what was there for us and what we went and took. Unbelievable when you think about it, BUT, even Rodgers on the wrong team could have failed. He had the perfect scenario sitting behind Favre for 3 plus years . Who knows if he's thrown into the fire day one it's possibe he struggles and never really shows what he has been able to.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast