Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Ponder ready to go deep

Christian Ponder, Vikings ready to go deep in 2013

Christian Ponder, Vikings ready to go deep in 2013

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Ponder suffered a complete separation of his throwing shoulder, had surgery and spent the next three years slowly regaining the feel for all his passes none more challenging than the downfield throws he and the Minnesota Vikings believe will be more effective this season.

"I'm getting back to how I was throwing the ball my junior year in college and getting that rotator cuff back where it's supposed to be," Ponder told USA TODAY Sports at the Vikings' training camp. "I feel like I'm throwing the ball well."
    Good read. It'll be interesting to see if it comes to fruition.

How well he threw as a junior, hasn't been mentioned a lot here. Just how he is throwing now.

With that said & not being a doctor, does it really take 4-5 years after an injury to get back to where you were before? Sounds like a lot more time than one would expect. I know AD recovered from his injury in a very short amount of time, but even with other severe injuries the norm doesn't seem like several years.

I'm getting back to how I was throwing the ball my junior year in college and getting that rotator cuff back where it's supposed to be," Ponder told USA TODAY Sports at the Vikings' training camp. "I feel like I'm throwing the ball well."
    Well since he's just about back to where he was in his Junior year & can make longer & deep throws with accuracy & thrust again, has Jennings running excellent routes, Kalil protecting from the blind side, Kyle "Mr. Hands" Rudolph at TE, a deep threat WR corp & defenders crowding the line to cover AD, he really doesn't have any excuses to not succeed this year.
    Last edited by singersp; 08-05-2013 at 07:53 AM.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    He didn't have any before IMHO. If his arm was still recovering he maybe should have been on IR and had another guy throwing the ball. One way or the other he doesn't have more years to get trained and if he isn't groomed by now we need to find another one and have him be the backup.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    I am not SPEAKING LIKE THIS but am speaking more like this when I say this.

I have been impressed with our training staff but why and how do we take and keep a QB that has an injury that takes this long to heal. Is this really a big deal! Is it a big enough deal that Ponder gets to use it as an excuse for not being able to throw deep the last few years.

Time will tell. I was watching the clips from training camp and he under threw Simpson on a long ball. I for one would love to see a Vikings QB throw a deep pass that hits a WR in stride more than 10% (or less) of the time. Making a throw down field that hangs in the air and makes the WR come back for it is high-schoolesque.

I would really like to see better deep ball throws this season from a Viking's QB. I just visited the Vatican a few weeks ago and I forgot to put that on my miracle wish list, crap!

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Haha... hilarious article full of BS excuses.

So, when he was fully healthy during his Junior year... FSU managed a 7-6 record? That's encouraging.

Ponder is a career backup. The sooner people (including our GM) realize that, the better.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    Interesting read. Hope they are right. I think he does just need to let it fly and not over think the throws. I am looking forward to the season. I think we will surprise a few people ... of course I have thought that every year since we entered the league. Too old to change my ways now.

Blog Entries
    I believe we will beat the Steelers, Cowgirls and C hawks. We will lose one to GB.We have a great shot at the division and 11-5 or 12-4

Our defense is going to catch a lot of people by surprise

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I believe we will beat the Steelers, Cowgirls and C hawks. We will lose one to GB.We have a great shot at the division and 11-5 or 12-4

Our defense is going to catch a lot of people by surprise
    I really can't see us beating Pittsburgh in London. That's the league's big international stage. You think they're gonna let their cash cow Pittsburgh Steelers lose that game to a team named after the group of seafaring warriors who sacked the eastern coast of the country in which the game will be played? I think not.

If there's one thing you know for sure going into a game against the Steelers, it's that you will not get any favorable calls.

I think we can(there's a big difference between "can" and "will," mind you) in every game this year, except for that one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
    I really can't see us beating Pittsburgh in London. That's the league's big international stage. You think they're gonna let their cash cow Pittsburgh Steelers lose that game to a team named after the group of seafaring warriors who sacked the eastern coast of the country in which the game will be played? I think not.
    Let? I am Norwegian and I say it won't come down to who lets who do what, we are going to go out and take it just like the Vikings did. Get in the way and pay the price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast