Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    How much of that money was guaranteed ? I always thought he was just nuts, but he may have been smart! He never took a hit in the NFL. Did he walk away rich ?
    I'm not sure you get to keep your bonus if you don't last a day past training camp.

Vikings would have legitimate reason for legal action to recoup those losses. He wasn't cut. He just left.

Ponder will become a good asst. coach somewhere.
    None

Ted Dibiase is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    I think Troy contributed more than Erasmus James but that year they were both first round wastes, Underwood waste of a pick with 0 contribution
    Little off topic but...Aaron Rogers went after both Williamson and James.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Dibiase View Post
    Uggh.. That makes me sick.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Dibiase View Post
    I could not understand the move at the time, and most Vikings fans I knew said something like, "We have Culpepper; a quarterback would be a wasted pick." Yeah, but Culpepper was overrated and would be exposed without Randy Moss. Culpepper went through progressions slowly, and he often ran instead of completing them. He used Moss as a get out of jail card.

I was upset when the Vikings did not take Rodgers, but I was livid when he dropped to the Packers.

Oh yes, when Rodgers sat behind future HOF quarterback Brett Favre Vikings fans told me, "See, he is not good enough to push out an aging Favre." When Rodgers did not have a great first year as a starter, Vikings fans said, "See, you were wrong; Rodgers is a bust."

I said, "Wait and see." I do not claim to be right about many players, as I just do not know enough about them, but this one really pains me to be correct on.

Williamson was not even on my first round draft board, and James had just come off an injury.

Ponder? I did not do a draft board that year. I barely even knew who he was, and I dismissed him looking at his scouting reports. I was stunned the Vikings drafted him in the first round. Ponder was a reach to be sure, but I had hope that the Vikings had better scouting than the pundits. I was willing to give Ponder time, but that time ended last season when Ponder showed he was everything his scouting reports said he was.
    Last edited by Minniman; 01-18-2014 at 08:47 AM.

Suick is offline Pro-Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    atleast he suited up... Underwood never even had a practice and he was a first round pick.... what a waste... Ponder and Williamson are def. in the top 5
    From wiki: In 2007, Charles Robinson of Yahoo! Sports listed Underwood as one of the worst first-round picks since the AFL-NFL merger. According to the article, Underwood missed most of his senior year, and his coaches at Michigan State warned NFL scouts that he was not mentally stable enough to play in the NFL. In Robinson's view, by ignoring these warnings the Vikings made "arguably the dumbest pick ever made in the first round." In a September 28, 2010 article Yahoo Sports noted Underwood's mental health issues as a case in point where the NFL is falling short in helping players who suffer from various mental illnesses that are in no small part connected to the pressures of the job of an NFL athlete. The 2010 article also pointed out that "Underwood was tormented by visions of the apocalypse. He used to write notes discussing the end of the world on pieces of paper the size of postage stamps. When he was in a normal state, he could be engaging in conversation. He was funny and intelligent. He also exuded physical confidence and had extraordinary talent."

Da mutter phucker was nuts and we STILL picked him.
    I've been a Viking fan since I was just out of diapers, hopefully we get Super Bowl win before I go back in 'em.

Ted Dibiase is offline Rookie
    I hope they don't cut Ponder just to "move on". If it's a roster space issue, fine. He's a backup with potential. The fact that he was drafted to be the franchise doesn't matter anymore. We've seen the player he CAN be, and he would be the starter if he could do it consistently. New staff and system...maybe in a year or two with the new coach he'll actually learn how to read defenses and anticipate open receivers. Maybe not, which would put him on par with other backups.

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by PackSux! View Post
    Biggest bust was drafting Derek Alexander over Warren Sapp in 1997.
    Hey if we're doing that then I'm going with drafting Darrin Nelson over Heismann trophy winner Marcus Allen in the 1st round as one of the WTF draft moves ever.

Otherwise my vote is for Underwood as biggest bust, and that was before I knew the Vikings were warned he was nuts. Gotta be biggest bust/dumbest pick ever. That might even top the Walker trade in terms of stupid moves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suick View Post
    From wiki: In 2007, Charles Robinson of Yahoo! Sports listed Underwood as one of the worst first-round picks since the AFL-NFL merger. According to the article, Underwood missed most of his senior year, and his coaches at Michigan State warned NFL scouts that he was not mentally stable enough to play in the NFL.
    The Vikings were also warned about Ponder (his scouting report) so that's gotta rank right up there with the all time Vikings busts along with Underwood and Williamson. Then you gotta consider how long we stuck with him when it was clear to anyone with eyesight that he wasn't going to amount to shit. Especially this season, I mean WTF Frazier? "He gives us the best chance to win" will haunt me for years. If it weren't for the buddy hire down in Tampa, Frazier would never work in this league again. He wasn't even a good coordinator.

Speaking of Frazier, he should rank right up there as an all time bust as well. I still have no idea how he got the head job to begin with because as I said, he wasn't a very good coordinator. It's his terrible secondary that helped get Chilly fired to begin with. I mean has our secondary ever been good the whole time Frazier was here? He played DB on one of the most aggressive, successful, ball hawking defenses ever but he thought the play it safe, passive, prevent style was the right way to go? Yeah good research Zygi. Did Frazier even have an offensive plan in his interview, because I sure as hell couldn't tell what he was trying to do on offense. I mean they called it the WCO but it was nothing like a WCO.

And speaking of busts, does not making a pick at all count as a bust lol? The Vikings allowed 2 teams to sneak past them with the 7th pick because they were late. It worked out for us because we drafted KW 9th, but it could have been a huge blunder. The Jags took Leftwich at 7th and the Browns went OL 8th.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
    Hey if we're doing that then I'm going with drafting Darrin Nelson over Heismann trophy winner Marcus Allen in the 1st round as one of the WTF draft moves ever.
    Consider this, if Marcus Allen had been drafted by the Vikings, the Walker trade would not have been made.

Otherwise my vote is for Underwood as biggest bust, and that was before I knew the Vikings were warned he was nuts. Gotta be biggest bust/dumbest pick ever. That might even top the Walker trade in terms of stupid moves
    Nothing tops the Walker trade in terms of stupid moves in the NFL.

The Vikings were also warned about Ponder (his scouting report) so that's gotta rank right up there with the all time Vikings busts along with Underwood and Williamson.
    Williamson had speed and nothing else. Only an inferior scouting staff would have regarded his skills as being first round worthy. The Vikings could have picked Rodgers instead of Williamson, so it was a pretty big blunder. Then again, the draft is a crap shoot, and great college prospects often do not work out.

Then you gotta consider how long we stuck with him when it was clear to anyone with eyesight that he wasn't going to amount to shit. Especially this season, I mean WTF Frazier? "He gives us the best chance to win" will haunt me for years.
    That may have been cover for decisions made higher up the ladder. Frazier may have taken a bullet for his GM or the owners with Ponder. Frazier certainly took one with Freeman.

Speaking of Frazier, he should rank right up there as an all time bust as well. I still have no idea how he got the head job to begin with because ... he wasn't a very good coordinator. It's his terrible secondary that helped get Chilly fired to begin with. I mean has our secondary ever been good the whole time Frazier was here? He played DB on one of the most aggressive, successful, ball hawking defenses ever but he thought the play it safe, passive, prevent style was the right way to go? Yeah good research Zygi.
    I agree, ... Frazier was not a good defensive coordinator. He should not have been hired as the head coach.

Did Frazier even have an offensive plan in his interview, because I sure as hell couldn't tell what he was trying to do on offense. I mean they called it the WCO but it was nothing like a WCO.
    Frazier said be was going to continue with what Childress had been doing by placing emphasis on the run game first. When Frazier hired Musgrave, there were statements to indicate that fact.

Basically, Frazier was going to keep his ineffective defensive scheme and continue the offensive scheme, tricky plays and all, that caused Childress to be fired.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234