Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Ponder knows it'll be tough to win starting job

Quote Originally Posted by "Johnson14" #1100524
    LOL Anglo :laugh:

I don't want Ponder starting this year, he, and more importantly, the franchise would benefit from him watching and learning from a vet, yes id have McNabb (preferably Orton) in here for at least a year or so.

That said...

I think it's highly likely Ponder will be the starter come opening day. :S
    Agree with all of htis. I'd love to see him sit and learn behind a proven vet for a year, or even two, then come in and play at an acceptable level, rather than going through the learning period you do with most rookies.

Something like they got with Rodgers or Romo. Or Steve Young. that would be ideal

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1100526
    Quote Originally Posted by "Johnson14" #1100524
    LOL Anglo :laugh:

I don't want Ponder starting this year, he, and more importantly, the franchise would benefit from him watching and learning from a vet, yes id have McNabb (preferably Orton) in here for at least a year or so.

That said...

I think it's highly likely Ponder will be the starter come opening day. :S
    Agree with all of htis. I'd love to see him sit and learn behind a proven vet for a year, or even two, then come in and play at an acceptable level, rather than going through the learning period you do with most rookies.

Something like they got with Rodgers or Romo. Or Steve Young. that would be ideal
    As much as I would like to see Ponder sit for a season, I'm not so sure that will happen. Primarily because our core players aren't getting any younger. I'm also not convinced that the Staff feels like this is a rebuilding year.

So, as much as I would like Ponder to have a chance to develop off the field, I won't be shocked to see him start immediately - even though I feel that may be the wrong move to make.

Caine

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

but if they don't view it as a rebuilding year, doesn't it make sense to get a Vet.

A guy like McNabb or Hasselbeck should be able to do a better job than a Rookie who many view as a huge reach in the first round, who as of the middle of July, has YET to work out with the team in any official sense. If we're trying to win, put the best players out on the field, and prepare Ponder for next year.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1100536
    but if they don't view it as a rebuilding year, doesn't it make sense to get a Vet.

A guy like McNabb or Hasselbeck should be able to do a better job than a Rookie who many view as a huge reach in the first round, who as of the middle of July, has YET to work out with the team in any official sense. If we're trying to win, put the best players out on the field, and prepare Ponder for next year.
    While I agree, I am not certain the Vikings will pursue a top rated FA QB, due mostly to the associated price. unlike the Rodgers situation, there is no anointed starter in Minnesota. Ponder probably feels the job is his to lose.

I guess what I'm saying is that I would expect a more conservative approach in a rebuild situation, whereas with a "Win now" - minus an obvious huge upgrade - I don't see them spending the cash for one of those guys.

I guess that comes from me not really thinking that Mcnabb or Hasselbeck will be the piece that "gets us there"...and minus that incentive, I can't see making the long commitment to either one when they can get a 2nd tier guy to push Ponder, and trot him out early (Like Detroit, New York, and Baltimore did).

Caine

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer

Agree with the above.. +1 sir

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1100537

While I agree, I am not certain the Vikings will pursue a top rated FA QB, due mostly to the associated price. unlike the Rodgers situation, there is no anointed starter in Minnesota. Ponder probably feels the job is his to lose.

I guess what I'm saying is that I would expect a more conservative approach in a rebuild situation, whereas with a "Win now" - minus an obvious huge upgrade - I don't see them spending the cash for one of those guys.

I guess that comes from me not really thinking that Mcnabb or Hasselbeck will be the piece that "gets us there"...and minus that incentive, I can't see making the long commitment to either one when they can get a 2nd tier guy to push Ponder, and trot him out early (Like Detroit, New York, and Baltimore did).

Caine
    I agree with your thoughts on McNabb and Hasselback Caine. If another QB doesn't make us a contender, it's not worth the money. Orton could probably get us to the playoffs for a few years as he is still young enough and talented enough, but I don't see us getting him. How about just going with Webb instead of a second tier guy? Throw him to the wolves and see what he's got while Ponder learns from the bench. He has already played under our center and thrown to our receivers. If he doesn't have it, Ponder has had time to learn the offense and speed of the game and we haven't wasted a year finishing in the middle of the pack, out of the playoffs and with a shitty draft pick. If he shows promise, we have a QB controversy or some valuable trade bait. Just a thought.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1100537

Caine
    I doubt they'd make a commitment to either one even on a high price 1 year deal. If the rumors are true, when the lockout ends, the Vikings will already be over the cap without having signed any rookies, any of our FA's, primarily Sidney Rice or signed other FA's to replace the ones we lose.

I figured if we signed one, it would be a middle of the roader vet on his way out of the NFL. I also have this sneaky suspicion that Frazier will start Ponder even if he isn't ready, but claim that he is. He just seems to eager to get his boy out there day 1 & let him learn on the field of play.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I agree. The team is at the point where they are starting to feel the pinch of the free agents they signed starting with the last regime coupled with the need to begin evaluating which players are going to be signed to their second contract from those who were drafted.

There just isn't going to be the money to go out and sign players to big money like we were able to do in the past and now we are going to have to put a heavy emphasis on getting production from guys who are under contract.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12