Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Ponder knows it'll be tough to win starting job

Christian Ponder knows it'll be tough to win starting job

The Vikings took a gamble, taking quarterback Christian Ponder with the 12th overall pick in the draft. Many believe the lockout will make it more difficult for Ponder to start in Week 1, including former NFL quarterback Rich Gannon, now an analyst with SiriusXM NFL Radio.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-07-15/christian-ponder-knows-itll-be-tough-to-win-starting-job#ixzz1SMvugsUy

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-07-15/christian-ponder-knows-itll-be-tough-to-win-starting-job

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: Ponder knows it'll be tough to win starting job

What? Tough?

Frazier has pretty much already anointed him the starter, sight-unseen in a Vikings uniform.

His only competition to date will be Joe Webb & Rhett Bomar who has taken as many game-day snaps as Ponder has.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1100499
    What? Tough?

Frazier has pretty much already anointed him the starter, sight-unseen in a Vikings uniform.

His only competition to date will be Joe Webb & Rhett Bomar who has taken as many game-day snaps as Ponder has.
    There's still the possibility of them signing a 2nd tier vet QB to compete for the job. We have to wait for the lock out to end to find out though.

Caine

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1100501
    What? Tough?

There's still the possibility of them signing a 2nd tier vet QB to compete for the job. We have to wait for the lock out to end to find out though.

Caine
    The lockout is pretty much over this week. It shouldn't be a possibility that Frazier/Vikings sign a FA QB, IMO it's a must.

Question is, would they sign a bigger name QB to come in & play the entire year or would they sign one of the lower tier FA vet QB's to start long enough until Ponder is ready.

I have this funny feeling though that Frazier will put a "not ready" Ponder on the field day 1, claiming he's ready.

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1100503
    What? Tough?

Caine
    The lockout is pretty much over this week. It shouldn't be a possibility that Frazier/Vikings sign a FA QB, IMO it's a must.

Question is, would they sign a bigger name QB to come in & play the entire year or would they sign one of the lower tier FA vet QB's to start long enough until Ponder is ready.

I have this funny feeling though that Frazier will put a "not ready" Ponder on the field day 1, claiming he's ready.
    If he does, he's replicating the Jackson Debacle, and we'll be comparing the two for the next 5 years.

Personally, I think they go get a 2nd tier guy who can take up some slack but who isn't a legit starter anymore. They use him to get Ponder up to speed, then let Ponder loose. Like the Giants did with She'li when Warner was there.

Caine

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1100505
    Personally, I think they go get a 2nd tier guy who can take up some slack but who isn't a legit starter anymore. They use him to get Ponder up to speed, then let Ponder loose. Like the Giants did with She'li when Warner was there.

Caine
    You mean like Brett Favre?

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1100509
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1100505

Caine
    You mean like Brett Favre?
    No...someone even more raqged...and with fewer dik-pix on the web.

Caine

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Marc Bulger
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1100503
    What? Tough?

Caine

That's assuming gets the ok to do so from the PPO brain trust.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer

LOL Anglo :laugh:

I don't want Ponder starting this year, he, and more importantly, the franchise would benefit from him watching and learning from a vet, yes id have McNabb (preferably Orton) in here for at least a year or so.

That said...

I think it's highly likely Ponder will be the starter come opening day. :S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast