Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Regardless though, I don't blame Ponder for the read at the very least. It was an ok read in this situation, especially with a blitzer in his face coming totally free.
    I would hardly call it much of a read. At the very least it was the first read and where he was most likely going with the ball anyway.

And whether you want to convince yourself Simpson ran a poor route or not, it was a simple 10yd slant right in front of Ponder and even an average QB should be able to make an adjustment to his receiver and get the ball on target. Or can't Ponder hit a moving target? However, it was just 1 pass. I'm more mad about Frazier having him out there for only 2 snaps when there's so much to work on.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    It is a long article that gives many variables, but Occam's razor suggests that it was an off throw by Ponder to an otherwise open receiver.

Ponder has had problems hitting moving targets in stride. If one was taking the better odds, one would have to state that is the most likely candidate. Sure, other events have taken place, but Simpson was open, and there was enough time to get the ball out. The quarterback has to make that throw.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Can't wait till Ponder is no longer our starter.
    This. He looked terrible today.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Anatomy Of A Turnover: The Story Of Christian Ponder And Shiloh Keo

A wide open Z receiver that never gets so much as a glance.
    Anatomy Of A Turnover: The Story Of Christian Ponder And Shiloh Keo - Battle Red Blog
    This is what concerns me.

Quote Originally Posted by marstc09 View Post
    A wide open Z receiver that never gets so much as a glance.
    This is what concerns me.
    Ponder is not going through his progressions well. He locks in and waits like he doesn't understand the plays enough to anticipate the receivers' routes.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    Ponder is not going through his progressions well. He locks in and waits like he doesn't understand the plays enough to anticipate the receivers' routes.
    When a QB is getting sacked in shotgun in 1 second I can't really tell who he's locking down on but he's probably locking up his sphincter

Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    When a QB is getting sacked in shotgun in 1 second I can't really tell who he's locking down on but he's probably locking up his sphincter
    The shotgun has advantage of position, but it has the disadvantage of vision for reads. In the shotgun, a quarterback must take his eyes of the field to catch the snap.

I agree that the line calls have been poor to say the least. Is that Musgrave, the line coach, or the center to blame?

thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    Ponder needs to get his act together. It's obvious he needs more reps against other teams. It would be nice if they would play him a bit more in the preseason. He just flat out needs the work.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Nice article in breaking down the play with screenshots to show the process an offense goes through on a given play. Note that the author (a fan...vikings fan that is, not so much a Ponder fan) blames Sullivan as much as anyone on the play for failing to pick up the MLB.

Actually a really good breakdown.
    It was just as much Sully's fault as it was Ponders. Both came to the line, read the defense and completely gaffed on the blitz to the point that Ponder doesn't get off his first read to the other side (were the blitz came from) were two receivers (Wright and Rudy) were open and Sully helps Fusco double a guy leaving his gap wide open.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    It was just as much Sully's fault as it was Ponders. Both came to the line, read the defense and completely gaffed on the blitz to the point that Ponder doesn't get off his first read to the other side (were the blitz came from) were two receivers (Wright and Rudy) were open and Sully helps Fusco double a guy leaving his gap wide open.
    You don't always know if a guy is coming. How about Ponder missing the hot key in Rudolph. He saw the blitz...and the play has a bilt in check down if a bliz come. Rudolph turns expecting the pass from the hot read but it never comes. Ponder instead decides to stare down the primary WR and force a pass in between 2 defenders. He had Rudolph wide open for an easy completion and YAC.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast