Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    I did mean Scott, that was for Minniman's benefit. If you go back to the thread discussing coaches sons you'll understand.

I appreciate you giving me the benefit of the doubt, but there was no logic in my post. Just wild ass guessing with very minimal knowledge.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    IMO O'Brien is not going to take Bridgewater with the first pick, he either will pick Bortles or go with the BPA. So if we are using your logic then Bridgewater will be there for us. I say we trade back if Bortles, Watkins, Mack or Barr are not there. Get another pick and draft Shazier out of OSU. I watched a lot of big ten games and he is a playmaker, add to the fact he just ran a 4.4 during OSU's pro day. That should give us another second round pick.
    I like Shazier too, but after burning up that 4.37(?) 40 he's not likely to fall to us in the 2nd round like previously predicted. On that same line of moving back a few, how about Mosley? I know he's had some injury questions, but if those were answered well by team docs, he may be a great fit as we haven't had a single LBer with coverage skills in what seems like decades and that is supposedly CJ's specialty...

As far as who Houston will go with, I'm a bit surprised nobody is talking about their OL...they were 2nd in the league in QB hits allowed with 113, or just over 7/game average. It's hard to keep your eyes downfield when you know you're about to get pummeled...which will lead to throw aways, INTs and pick sixes. Falcons were 5th worst, and Jags 6th...there could be a bigger run on OL than anybody seems to be predicting...which, could benefit the Vikings! But, I could also see HOU passing on QB til later and giving local boy Keenum or maybe even a restructured Schaub another chance.

NFL Stats: by Team Category

Other random thoughts on where the teams ahead of us might go...

I think CLE may be leaning toward Watkins with 4, if the Rams don't snag him at 2, and looking at QB in the 20s or top of the 2nd.

I'm not sold on Donald Penn starting at LT for the Raiders either...there's likely good reason the Bucs let him walk. But they're hard to predict because they need help everywhere. I could see them going with Clowney, Mack, one of the OTs, Watkins, a QB, who knows!?

Despite all the QB talk in Tampa, who do they have to replace Penn at LT?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    I like Shazier too, but after burning up that 4.37(?) 40 he's not likely to fall to us in the 2nd round like previously predicted. On that same line of moving back a few, how about Mosley? I know he's had some injury questions, but if those were answered well by team docs, he may be a great fit as we haven't had a single LBer with coverage skills in what seems like decades and that is supposedly CJ's specialty...

As far as who Houston will go with, I'm a bit surprised nobody is talking about their OL...they were 2nd in the league in QB hits allowed with 113, or just over 7/game average. It's hard to keep your eyes downfield when you know you're about to get pummeled...which will lead to throw aways, INTs and pick sixes. Falcons were 5th worst, and Jags 6th...there could be a bigger run on OL than anybody seems to be predicting...which, could benefit the Vikings! But, I could also see HOU passing on QB til later and giving local boy Keenum or maybe even a restructured Schaub another chance.

NFL Stats: by Team Category

Other random thoughts on where the teams ahead of us might go...

I think CLE may be leaning toward Watkins with 4, if the Rams don't snag him at 2, and looking at QB in the 20s or top of the 2nd.

I'm not sold on Donald Penn starting at LT for the Raiders either...there's likely good reason the Bucs let him walk. But they're hard to predict because they need help everywhere. I could see them going with Clowney, Mack, one of the OTs, Watkins, a QB, who knows!?

Despite all the QB talk in Tampa, who do they have to replace Penn at LT?
    I agree, I was thinking if there isn't a QB there at 8 and Mack, Clowney and Watkins are gone we could trade back and get Shazier, who I think may have just as much potential as Barr. Or we could grab Dennard if we are going to do a lot of press man or Gilbert if we are going to use zone quite a bit. We could then trade up and grab a Mosley or even Cooks if we want to go O with our second pick. We could still take Mettenberger in the middle of the second who I like a lot once you get by the big three. If he isn't there we could try A. J. in the third, he should be there. So many options that is what I love about the draft.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Rage4Order is offline Rookie
    I may be wrong, but I just do not see any of the top 3 qbs worthy of pick 8. I would almost be willing to bet one or 2 of the lower round qbs will have better nfl careers.
    Manziel' s game does not fit a Norv Turner QB, not even close. Bridgewater will be another Ponder. Bortles may turn out to be pretty good, eventually but not for a year or 2. So that makes picking him at 8 not worth it. There are no great QBs in this draft, so they have been overrated.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    I think Bridgewater is the most "NFL ready" QB in the draft, which means nothing. Bortles is the "proto-typical" QB, and fits with what people THINK is a good QB. Either of these 2 might be a great QB, or a bust; we have nothing to tell us which way they will go.

Manziel is the guy that will either be a elite QB or a huge bust, and I don't think there is much between. As such, my betting heart REALLY wants to see him in purple. We have rolled the dice on "safe" picks, and got just as burnt as we will be if Manziel lays an egg.

In the end, I trust our coaches and GM (for now). If they don't do what I want them to, I won't throw a fit; for the first time in a long time, I truly believe our decision makers know a hell of a lot more about this than I do!

Judging from what I've see, the top 6 "no miss" players are:
    Barr
    Clowney
    Mack
    Watkins
    Matthews
    Robinson
    All these guys will have careers in the NFL, some of which might be HoF careers. Add:
    Bortles
    Manziel
    Bridgewater
    Gilbert
    Evans
    ...and it looks like we could have a great 1st round pick no matter WHAT direction we go in. Judging from their FA moves, I do not expect to be surprised in a bad way whatever they do. Surprise might be in order, say if we get one of those OTs, but in the end, it will just make me more excited to see what they DO with the pick.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    ...and it looks like we could have a great 1st round pick no matter WHAT direction we go in. Judging from their FA moves, I do not expect to be surprised in a bad way whatever they do.
    That is what I'm kind of starting to think too...I like our FA moves and with plenty of talent available that fits our needs, it had damn well better be a good pick!!

Latest Drafttek mock is sweeeeet!!! NFL Draft Mock 2014 | NFL Draft Mock Draft

1. Dennard paired with Rhodes in press-man coverage with Captain playing nickel would be one hell of an offseason upgrade to our pass D!
    2. Odell Beckham, Jr. Bit of a luxury pick but he killed the combine with speed in both a straight line and change of direction and is another serious threat whenever he has the ball...i.e. improving return depth too.
    3. Mettenberger in the 3rd round would be awesome. Big boy who could be a real deep ball pocket QB given a bit of time to heal and learn.
    3.b. Ego Ferguson, DT
    4. Demarcus Lawrence, DE
    5. Jon Halapio, OG

More DL rotation is always a good idea and we've specially had good luck in the past with 4th round DEs. Another Guard to push Johnson and Baca for playing time is even better. Although, this guy seems more of a RG option, anybody think Fusco can improve our play at LG!?? Or is moving him a mistake due to how good he's been where he's at?

NFL Draft Mock 2014 | NFL Draft Mock Draft
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234