Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    Let's try this again for clarity:

    Both Cassel and Schaub are being criticized for QBing teams that should be doing better, but perhaps it is their leadership skills and mistakes that are costing the team wins. Worst, both teams seem to have lost confidence in their leader.

    Both Cassel and Yates seem to have the fan base on their side in getting the start, while the coaches disagree and stick with the "starter", which is causing friction.

    How is that for clearing up my point? Or is does it still sound like I'm comparing the on the field skills of the starters and back up QBs?
    You are a new enthusiastic poster, so I'm looking to give you a pass on this one. I just thought you were trying to say that Schaub was a choker just like the Vikings and Ponder. The title of the thread was misleading , and when taken out of context, absurd.
    Welcome to the site. Everyone has a right to express their opinion here, but there will always be someone who will disagree or take a sentence or two out of context to make a case against your opinion. Try to build a case for your point of view, and remember, we are all united in support of the Vikings despite the broad spectrum of contradictory opinions.

  2. #12
    drewlovs's Avatar
    drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    587
    Ultimately, I think it probably would have been a more interesting topic if I actually tried to make the case that Ponder was as good or bad as Schaub. That by itself probably inspired people to see it that way... the Texans having QB problems like we are, at a higher level to be sure, is not the best of long winded discussions.

    Hell, half the NFL is having similar problems. But I pretty much agree with everyone here; Schaub is a much better QB than Ponder, hands down.

    P.S. I have NO problem with people calling me out if I am being stupid; I tend to do it often, and have a pretty thick skin. You kinda have to if you got as big a mouth as I do.
    Last edited by drewlovs; 10-02-2013 at 03:50 PM.

  3. #13
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    Ultimately, I think it probably would have been a more interesting topic if I actually tried to make the case that Ponder was as good or bad as Schaub. That by itself probably inspired people to see it that way... the Texans having QB problems like we are, at a higher level to be sure, is not the best of long winded discussions.

    Hell, half the NFL is having similar problems. But I pretty much agree with everyone here; Schaub is a much better QB than Ponder, hands down.

    P.S. I have NO problem with people calling me out if I am being stupid; I tend to do it often, and have a pretty thick skin. You kinda have to if you got as big a mouth as I do.
    Fair enough. I definitely thought you were huffing glue and claiming Ponder and Schaub were about on par with each other. The situation is somewhat similar.

    Problem is, Schaub is really only making mistakes at inopportune times, but he's also keeping the Texans in the game. He plays well, then makes a boneheaded mistake. Problem with Ponder, is he hasn't really played well at all this year. Not once.

    I was a fan of trying to get Yates a few years back, but that never came to be. I don't see him as a good starter in the league, but he's a guy who can come in and relieve if needed. That is nice to have.

  4. #14
    Culpepper_4717's Avatar
    Culpepper_4717 is offline Asst. Coach Chopper Challenge Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    594
    He just set the record for consecutive games with a pick-six

  5. #15
    MaxVike's Avatar
    MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,550

    Ponder equals...Schaub?

    I recall, back when this site was much more active, many members complaining that the Vikes didn't find a way to acquire an unproven Schaub. Without Arian Foster lighting it up, he looks pedestrian at best.

    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

  6. #16
    Culpepper_4717's Avatar
    Culpepper_4717 is offline Asst. Coach Chopper Challenge Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    594
    Question, has ponder ever thrown a pick to a DT dropping into coverage?

  7. #17
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    I recall, back when this site was much more active, many members complaining that the Vikes didn't find a way to acquire an unproven Schaub. Without Arian Foster lighting it up, he looks pedestrian at best.
    I remember that as well.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  8. #18
    drewlovs's Avatar
    drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    587
    Schaub has lost his confidence, and is trying to make "perfect" passes. THAT really reminds me of Ponder. If you cannot, as a talented QB in the NFL, turn off your brain and let it all hang out, you are doomed.

    The one thing I heard CONSTANTLY on the NFL network during training camps is, "Stop THINKING! Just do it!"

    The super stars of the NFL count on their talent. These guys are scared of theirs.

  9. #19
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,308
    I am a fan of Schaub's ... but never thought he was a superstar.

    I was simply stating that our situation and the Texans is not that similar. Yates has NEVER put up numbers close to Schaub's ... Cassel has had complete seasons that are considerably better than anything Ponder has done.

    Cassel has looked good in the NFL before (as has Freeman) ... Ponder really has not ... which make it a different situation.

    Schaub has looked REALLY good for extended stretches of time, Yates ONLY started games when Schaub was hurt. He is 2-3 for his career as a starter (hardly "leading them to the playoffs" more like backing in) and has a career rating below 77.

    Yates might be good ... and if the team has completely lost faith in Schaub, I guess they should go that way, but it still is a very different situation than Minnesota where the starter (Ponder) has NEVER shown that he can win a game ... Schaub certainly has.

  10. #20
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,308
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    Schaub has lost his confidence, and is trying to make "perfect" passes. THAT really reminds me of Ponder. If you cannot, as a talented QB in the NFL, turn off your brain and let it all hang out, you are doomed.

    The one thing I heard CONSTANTLY on the NFL network during training camps is, "Stop THINKING! Just do it!"

    The super stars of the NFL count on their talent. These guys are scared of theirs.
    I definitely think this is true of both of the quarterbacks by the way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •