Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Ponder

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni
    Ponder has thrown less INT's than Romo, Rivers, Ryan, Sanchez, Tannenhill, Weeden, Brees, Cassel, Dalton, Fitzpatrick, and Andrew Luck. Stafford has the same amount as Ponder. Ponder has thrown for as many TD's as Newton, Bradford, one fewer than Eli, Cutler, Flacco. Two fewer TD's than Stafford, and RGIII. So numbers may never lie, but they sometimes dont tell the whole truth. What these numbers tell me is that no matter what kind of numbers your QB has, the whole team has to play to the best of it's ability as a team to win games. Chemistry and cohesion.

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    I don't even know why they're allowing Ponder to pick Favre's brain because they're not the same when it comes to throwing. Favre threw the ball hard even when he didn't have to. Ponder is the opposite, he throws floaters all the time, like that pass to a wide open Rudolph in the RZ. We ended up scoring anyway, but that would have been a TD if he put a little more mustard on the ball. Instead he threw a rainbow and gave the defenders time to get there and push him OB.

Ponder has shown he can put some zip on the ball so it's beyond me why he throws so many damn floaters. More comfortable for him perhaps? He shouldn't need to pick Favre's brain, he just needs to start throwing the damn ball harder.

VikeCane305 is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by lippythelion69 View Post
    it's time to face the fact that he is not the answer at qb
    pu
    word!
    "AKA" PURPLEPOWERPUNCH

VikeCane305 is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
    Not to mention both were on the road. Luck's was against Detroit though, a team Ponder beat twice so it's not saying much haha.

I have a feeling Ponder is going to have a 300+ yd game in one of these last 4 games or do just enough to buy him another shot next year. That's just how things usually go for us. Shitty coaches/players always seem to do just enough to prolong our misery one more season.
    This is so true.
    "AKA" PURPLEPOWERPUNCH

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
    Peterson Rushing
    234 att 1446 yds 6.18 avg

Ponder Passing
    384 att 2305 yds 6.00 avg
    I can only find one other RB in the last 20 years who was even close to having a higher average than his starting QB.

2009 Jamaal Charles 5.89 (190-1120) and Matt Cassel 5.93 (493-2924)

And just for fun, in 2000 McNabb lead the Eagles in rushing and passing. His rushing average was higher 7.31 (86-629) than his passing average 5.91 (569-3365).

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimal93 View Post
    Ponder has thrown less INT's than Romo, Rivers, Ryan, Sanchez, Tannenhill, Weeden, Brees, Cassel, Dalton, Fitzpatrick, and Andrew Luck. Stafford has the same amount as Ponder. Ponder has thrown for as many TD's as Newton, Bradford, one fewer than Eli, Cutler, Flacco. Two fewer TD's than Stafford, and RGIII. So numbers may never lie, but they sometimes dont tell the whole truth. What these numbers tell me is that no matter what kind of numbers your QB has, the whole team has to play to the best of it's ability as a team to win games. Chemistry and cohesion.
    His running back is leading the league in rushing... his numbers should be off the chart.
    So peterson rushers 96 yards and Ponder throws 3 4 yard tds... Did he have a good game? What about the yardage? The completion percentage and most importantly... the INTSSSSSSSS

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    His running back is leading the league in rushing... his numbers should be off the chart.
    So peterson rushers 96 yards and Ponder throws 3 4 yard tds... Did he have a good game? What about the yardage? The completion percentage and most importantly... the INTSSSSSSSS
    I am no way saying to put blame other than Ponder on this one. He hurt the Vikings momentum and hindered the chances of the Vikings making the playoffs, which I remind everyone that at the beginning of the season nobody was lining up in Vegas to put a couple of bills on that one. With the AP uncertainty, and the Ponder questions, which most of those remain unanswered, I thought that we would not be even sniffing close to the postseason.
    Team effort and a healthy Harvin was the conduit for early success. Ponder was good enough, special teams chipped in and the defense was playing at a high level. Soon as Ponder played versus better pass defenses he has struggled. His numbers went down, and usually ALL QB's numbers are not stellar when they go against the top pass defenses. So will Ponder turn out to be the QB we need? too close to call right now. Ability and decision making are in question. You have to believe that staff and coaches know more than we do. I am sure of it, for the most part. But it is our right to question it as fans. Football wouldnt be much without us.

kingpin9995 is offline Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    When the Vikings made the pick, I looked back at all of the reports, and I hoped that the Vikings scouts had seen the upside and also viewed the downside as repairable. I have brought up Ponder's high completion percentage this season, and his turnover ratio was once one of the best in the NFL, so what has changed? For me, I see his inability to hit deep receivers, hit players on any angle route, and go through his progressions as major factors in his demise.

Although it is difficult to see on television, receivers do get open, but Ponder does not get to them in his progressions. He often waits for his primary receivers to get open before delivering the ball, and that gives defenses time to close up. A quarterback knows where receivers should be, so the quarterback must loose the ball prior to the player being at that spot open. This is more valid in the NFL, where defenders are much better, than at any other level.

I read about Ponder's pros on the scouting reports, but pros only will get a player so far when the cons stick like hot tar waiting for the feathers. After twelve games into this season, I would like to see better results. I would like to see better growth. I would like to see a better quarterback and a better team.
    Positives: Extremely tough-minded and intelligent with terrific intangibles.

Name them. I see no toughness.He's a weak minded thin skinned failure
    Strong drive and determination. Will battle through injuries and play through pain. Sells play-action hard.
    He's terrible at selling the play action. He's got the best running back in football and his play action fools no one.

Gets rid of the ball quickly with good timing.
    Bullshit.... he holds the ball every snap and never throws the ball on time

Moves well outside the pocket and can extend plays with his feet. Has a gamer mentality with the moxie and grit to command a huddle and win respect in the locker room.

Was he commanding the huddle during that 38 minutes he did not complete oin fuking pass? Gamer? I saw no game.
    Shrugs off adversity, responds well in pressure situations and performed well at the Senior Bowl. Has a confident, composed on-field temperament and can rally a team from behind. Very natural leader.

Shrugs off adversity? More like collapses with adversity. He has zero confidence, and has zero composure in the pocket, and can't rally shit from shinola.

Negatives: Throwing elbow must be evaluated carefully - arm strength was limited prior to the injury, and accuracy wanes down the field. Average decision maker - takes unnecessary risks trying to make plays and lacks the velocity to squeeze the ball into coverage. Makes some bad reads and head-scratching decisions. Puts a lot of arc on the ball and often underthrows deep receivers - cannot cut it loose through the wind. Struggles gauging his own arm and touch. Regressed following the promotion of Jimbo Fisher to head coach (and is best with a technical position coach). Could not finish the season the last two years because of durability issues.

These are ALL DEAD ON...

Summary: An athletic, dink-and-dunk, West Coast passer who has been snake-bitten by injuries, Ponder has everything teams could want intangibly in a quarterback - intelligence, toughness, competitiveness and leadership qualities. However, his physical limitations will always leave teams wanting more QUOTE OF THE DAY and invite injury. Has the poise and confidence desired in a backup with potential to eventually become a good, not great, starter.

HE'S NOT EVEN BACK UP MATERIAL...

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpin9995 View Post
    Positives: Extremely tough-minded and intelligent with terrific intangibles.

Name them. I see no toughness.He's a weak minded thin skinned failure
    Strong drive and determination. Will battle through injuries and play through pain. Sells play-action hard.
    He's terrible at selling the play action. He's got the best running back in football and his play action fools no one.

Gets rid of the ball quickly with good timing.
    Bullshit.... he holds the ball every snap and never throws the ball on time

Moves well outside the pocket and can extend plays with his feet. Has a gamer mentality with the moxie and grit to command a huddle and win respect in the locker room.

Was he commanding the huddle during that 38 minutes he did not complete oin fuking pass? Gamer? I saw no game.
    Shrugs off adversity, responds well in pressure situations and performed well at the Senior Bowl. Has a confident, composed on-field temperament and can rally a team from behind. Very natural leader.

Shrugs off adversity? More like collapses with adversity. He has zero confidence, and has zero composure in the pocket, and can't rally shit from shinola.

Negatives: Throwing elbow must be evaluated carefully - arm strength was limited prior to the injury, and accuracy wanes down the field. Average decision maker - takes unnecessary risks trying to make plays and lacks the velocity to squeeze the ball into coverage. Makes some bad reads and head-scratching decisions. Puts a lot of arc on the ball and often underthrows deep receivers - cannot cut it loose through the wind. Struggles gauging his own arm and touch. Regressed following the promotion of Jimbo Fisher to head coach (and is best with a technical position coach). Could not finish the season the last two years because of durability issues.

These are ALL DEAD ON...

Summary: An athletic, dink-and-dunk, West Coast passer who has been snake-bitten by injuries, Ponder has everything teams could want intangibly in a quarterback - intelligence, toughness, competitiveness and leadership qualities. However, his physical limitations will always leave teams wanting more QUOTE OF THE DAY and invite injury. Has the poise and confidence desired in a backup with potential to eventually become a good, not great, starter.

HE'S NOT EVEN BACK UP MATERIAL...
    So what your saying is you shouldn't put a lot of stock in these player analysis.

Agreed.

kingpin9995 is offline Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimal93 View Post
    I am no way saying to put blame other than Ponder on this one. He hurt the Vikings momentum and hindered the chances of the Vikings making the playoffs, which I remind everyone that at the beginning of the season nobody was lining up in Vegas to put a couple of bills on that one. With the AP uncertainty, and the Ponder questions, which most of those remain unanswered, I thought that we would not be even sniffing close to the postseason.
    Team effort and a healthy Harvin was the conduit for early success. Ponder was good enough, special teams chipped in and the defense was playing at a high level. Soon as Ponder played versus better pass defenses he has struggled. His numbers went down, and usually ALL QB's numbers are not stellar when they go against the top pass defenses. So will Ponder turn out to be the QB we need? too close to call right now. Ability and decision making are in question. You have to believe that staff and coaches know more than we do. I am sure of it, for the most part. But it is our right to question it as fans. Football wouldnt be much without us.
    I have to disagree with you. Do you consider the Packers pass defense an above average one? Especially minus Shields, Woodson, and that long haired Fabio? The fact is not that he's playing better defenses, the fact is after about 4 weeks in Ponder was exposed as a weak arm that cannot have consistent success down the field. Defenses shrunk the field and took away his safety blanket, the flats and the short dinks and forced him to throw it deeper. They continue to do this because IT'S BEEN SUCCESSFUL, and it won't change until Ponder can show he can burn a defense for more than 5 yards a pop. Teams have exposed Ponder and all this talk that receivers can't get open is bunk especially when you consider it's man on man. Any average receiver can find enough space for a qb to laser the ball in to him off his break. Ponder can't or won't... Sunday could get very ugly early as fans are going to give him no mercy. He's been almost unwatchable for almost two months now and Frasier seems to think he's the man... They both best bring their ear plugs I predict Webb will play Sunday and show a spark to pull out a win, making Frasier look even dumber then he looks on the podium every week saying the SAME EXACT FUKING THING EVERY TIME..

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast