Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Ponder

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    Predictions aside... The guy I WANT is... Michael Vick. Bring on the boo birds. We actually have a line and a RB to protect him and sell the play action. Gives us the best chance to win right now. He would also be able to mentor Jos Webb. This is the best option considering this super weak QB draft class.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Looking at it without the benefit of hindsight the pick was understandable. And once again you only pick out the negatives from the scouting report
    When the Vikings made the pick, I looked back at all of the reports, and I hoped that the Vikings scouts had seen the upside and also viewed the downside as repairable. I have brought up Ponder's high completion percentage this season, and his turnover ratio was once one of the best in the NFL, so what has changed? For me, I see his inability to hit deep receivers, hit players on any angle route, and go through his progressions as major factors in his demise.

Although it is difficult to see on television, receivers do get open, but Ponder does not get to them in his progressions. He often waits for his primary receivers to get open before delivering the ball, and that gives defenses time to close up. A quarterback knows where receivers should be, so the quarterback must loose the ball prior to the player being at that spot open. This is more valid in the NFL, where defenders are much better, than at any other level.

I read about Ponder's pros on the scouting reports, but pros only will get a player so far when the cons stick like hot tar waiting for the feathers. After twelve games into this season, I would like to see better results. I would like to see better growth. I would like to see a better quarterback and a better team.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by MulletMullitia View Post
    Predictions aside... The guy I WANT is... Michael Vick. Bring on the boo birds. We actually have a line and a RB to protect him and sell the play action. Gives us the best chance to win right now. He would also be able to mentor Jos Webb. This is the best option considering this super weak QB draft class.
    I agree we shouild be looking at Vick.... boo birds and dog lovers be damned... Vick would be a nice addition to our offense.

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    Well, at least we could make Vick pay us back after the Young-like run to beat us in the OT one year.

kingpin9995 is offline Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    When the Vikings made the pick, I looked back at all of the reports, and I hoped that the Vikings scouts had seen the upside and also viewed the downside as repairable. I have brought up Ponder's high completion percentage this season, and his turnover ratio was once one of the best in the NFL, so what has changed? For me, I see his inability to hit deep receivers, hit players on any angle route, and go through his progressions as major factors in his demise.

Although it is difficult to see on television, receivers do get open, but Ponder does not get to them in his progressions. He often waits for his primary receivers to get open before delivering the ball, and that gives defenses time to close up. A quarterback knows where receivers should be, so the quarterback must loose the ball prior to the player being at that spot open. This is more valid in the NFL, where defenders are much better, than at any other level.

I read about Ponder's pros on the scouting reports, but pros only will get a player so far when the cons stick like hot tar waiting for the feathers. After twelve games into this season, I would like to see better results. I would like to see better growth. I would like to see a better quarterback and a better team.
    Putting everything about Ponder aside the fact remains that he of most all of the other young qbs has what none of the others have. He has a decent o line with the best running back by far in the NFL. He has teams desperate to stop Peterson at almost ridiculous cost. They bring 8 , 9, and 10 in the box which is exactly what a young quaterback wants to be able to be successful. A wide open middle with linebackers disregarding the play action and nothing really defending the back end. If a young qb like Ponder cannot thrive with this scenario he sees every week , he can't survive at all in the NFL. Qb's lick their chops at the defenses we are going against and yet Ponder can't even begin to succeed. It's the tell tale sign that he just does not have the confidence in his arm and neither does Musgrave who rarely lets him test the middle of the field. This alone tells me he can't make it. Too make it even worse not only are the stacking the box for Peterson, he's eating it alive. It would be a different story if there was no running game because of the stacked boxes but Peterson is on pace to rush for 1000 yards and 6 straight 100 plus games. Come on now does that not tell you something boys? He's not ready for anything near prime time and I would suggest he's about ranked in the bottom 5 qbs in the NFL, all of which will be history in another year never to be heard from again.

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    I agree we shouild be looking at Vick.... boo birds and dog lovers be damned... Vick would be a nice addition to our offense.
    Just what we need. An even more turnover prone, poor decision making, injury prone QB? Wasnt the McNabb experiment enough? Gimme a break. No more Eagles cast-offs.

Soon as Ponder finds his scrote again the Vikes will be fine. He has zero confidence right now and the game has not slowed down for him against better defenses. He needs to work on his footwork too. I caught him a couple of times trying to throw deep off of his back foot. Not going to work, he does not have that type of arm strength. He is not recognizing quickly enough when to step up in the pocket and it is collapsing on him and the fact that defenses are keying on the fact that there is no cohesion at the WR position doesnt help his cause. He is playing with two left feet and 11 thumbs right now, and soon as he can get the game to slow down some he might make a servicable QB somewhere down the road. He better start soon, his rope is getting short around here.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpin9995 View Post
    Putting everything about Ponder aside the fact remains that he of most all of the other young qbs has what none of the others have. He has a decent o line with the best running back by far in the NFL. He has teams desperate to stop Peterson at almost ridiculous cost. They bring 8 , 9, and 10 in the box which is exactly what a young quaterback wants to be able to be successful. A wide open middle with linebackers disregarding the play action and nothing really defending the back end. If a young qb like Ponder cannot thrive with this scenario he sees every week , he can't survive at all in the NFL. Qb's lick their chops at the defenses we are going against and yet Ponder can't even begin to succeed. It's the tell tale sign that he just does not have the confidence in his arm and neither does Musgrave who rarely lets him test the middle of the field. This alone tells me he can't make it. Too make it even worse not only are the stacking the box for Peterson, he's eating it alive. It would be a different story if there was no running game because of the stacked boxes but Peterson is on pace to rush for 1000 yards and 6 straight 100 plus games. Come on now does that not tell you something boys? He's not ready for anything near prime time and I would suggest he's about ranked in the bottom 5 qbs in the NFL, all of which will be history in another year never to be heard from again.
    The most comprehensive post I have read in some time. The kid simply could not ask for a better situation. Its the reason Brett wanted to come here. He is facing 1 on 1 on the outside and a lone safety in the middle of the field and cannot beat it. What will happen if he is asked to play a cover 4 or an umbrella 6 or 9? Pick 6 is what will happen. That and me drinking my self into a stupor as my tears trickle into my drink.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimal93 View Post
    Just what we need. An even more turnover prone, poor decision making, injury prone QB? Wasnt the McNabb experiment enough? Gimme a break. No more Eagles cast-offs.

Soon as Ponder finds his scrote again the Vikes will be fine. He has zero confidence right now and the game has not slowed down for him against better defenses. He needs to work on his footwork too. I caught him a couple of times trying to throw deep off of his back foot. Not going to work, he does not have that type of arm strength. He is not recognizing quickly enough when to step up in the pocket and it is collapsing on him and the fact that defenses are keying on the fact that there is no cohesion at the WR position doesnt help his cause. He is playing with two left feet and 11 thumbs right now, and soon as he can get the game to slow down some he might make a servicable QB somewhere down the road. He better start soon, his rope is getting short around here.
    Yeah I really want a QB leading this team as a franchise QB with confidence problems and a weak arm.... gag!!!...

Ponder is a good back-up not a franchise QB and the sooner he's sent to the bench the better off this team will be...

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Peterson Rushing
    234 att 1446 yds 6.18 avg

Ponder Passing
    384 att 2305 yds 6.00 avg

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    Yeah I really want a QB leading this team as a franchise QB with confidence problems and a weak arm.... gag!!!...

Ponder is a good back-up not a franchise QB and the sooner he's sent to the bench the better off this team will be...
    okay, point taken. Ponder this. Look at some of the other QB play in the league. Vick, Sanchez, Cassel, the mess in AZ, and Rivers. Ponder overall has played better than all of these guys. EVERY QB has a crap game here and there. I am not ready to give up on Ponder just yet. Very short leash though. Ponder said he wanted to pick Favre's brain in the offseason, judging from the one INT, he allready did. That was classic Favre. How about Kurt Warner or some other mentor?

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456 14 ... LastLast