Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Ponder

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I really hate when people say this.
    No disrespect to Ponder but almost any QB would be an upgrade to him. He without a doubt, faces the easiest coverages in the NFL, other Qbs are shown more complex zone and man schemes to fool them. Defenses do not care and are fine with letting Ponder beat them in exchange to stopping Peterson for 150 yards . Vick, Flacco, Smith and are light years the QB that Ponder is. Kyle Orton is a better QB than Ponder at this point but would be a better comparison when Ponder is playing lights out. He is not on the level of the others listed because defense play them honest and in the case of Vick and Flacco are trying specifically to stop them. Him being a Viking we tend to envision that he is better than we really thing but there is a reason we are DEAD LAST in passing. There is a reason his 3 passes of 15 yards in 1 game was a season high and lastly there is a reason that the 67 yarder to Wright made most of us spit out our beer. I don't think a 67 yard pass by any of the 3 I listed would be surprising.
    All you say is probably true. The problem is, it doesn't matter. Spielman chose Ponder. We are stuck with Ponder. Hopefully he will get better.
    I think Spielman would have passed on RGIII and traded the pick away if we would have picked second last year.
    Who knows. It is what it is, and we are Stuck with Ponder, for better or worse.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    But it's not just Ponder, you've got to put some blame on the talent level of our WRs...specially without Harvin! Here's a quote from Frazier on our passing game's improvement:

BS: Your receivers are playing better. Are they better because Ponder has gotten better?

LF: It's a combination. Some of those throws that Christian made hit guys right in stride. He was getting the ball out on time. And our receivers were running better routes. They were getting open. There was some space between our receivers and their defensive backs, so that has to help, too.
    Gee, ya think!!??!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    But it's not just Ponder, you've got to put some blame on the talent level of our WRs...specially without Harvin! Here's a quote from Frazier on our passing game's improvement:

Gee, ya think!!??!!
    As with most QB's, I think it comes down to trust and confidence. We have been mediocre at best with both WR and QB positions, which makes it hard to go after the harder throws that you see the better teams make week after week. A few elite QB's will elevate above it and a few elite WR's will elevate their QB above mediocrity, but for the most part you need elevated play from both positions.

Ponder has had a lot of bad showings this year, but he has shown some mettle in the last few games when it counted. This is something to build on and can be invaluable in post season play. I'm still doubtful on this guy, but I will give him credit for the last few weeks and see how he shows up this week.

raptorman is offline Starter
    With Ponder it seem to be all about completion percentage. Above 60% the team is 9-4, below 60% 11-3. Now it does not matter if its Ponder making or not making the throws or the WR's catching or not catching. I have seen some nice throws get dropped and some wide open WR's not even have the ball close to them. So blame who you wish. I don't think he is going anywhere and I don't think they will think about replacing him. So like him or not, he's going to be the starter next year.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    Vick and Foles??? shit.... Vick would be leaps and bounds better in our offense than Ponder... Foles has gotten better... Cassel, Skelton, Sanchez, and Kolb are all bad but Ponder is in that SAME category.. I'm not sure any of them are better than the other.
    Did you see Vick in his last outing....LOL.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Kaepernick, Dalton, Mallett
    Mallet, LOL. Based on what......Your continued man love for him and his slow feet? Lets see what happens with Kap.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021