Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Ponder

30whales is offline Training Camp
    Just wondering is there any starting QB that you would take Ponder over in the NFL right now?

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lippythelion69 View Post
    Cousins of Washington went 4 th round last year
    He is better than weak armed Punder
    Kirk Cousins? He has thrown 11 passes for 7 completions, 2 TDs and 2 INTs. He MAY be better than Ponder, but there is no way in hell you can realistically say that with confidence right now.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 30whales View Post
    Just wondering is there any starting QB that you would take Ponder over in the NFL right now?
    Sure.

I would take Ponder over:

Vick
    Foles
    Skelton
    Sanchez
    Cassel

I am sure there are others. All of them are pretty much in the same boat as Ponder - they are sucking this year - but at least with Ponder we know what we have. Better the beast that we know...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I wasn't talking specifically about that particular draft but the drafts while Wilf has owned the team dating back to 2005. After Culpepper went down there have been a large number of QB's to come into the league and be successful and many of them were on the board when we picked. Same goes for the WR position.
    If you don't believe that fine. IDC.

Like I said, I was not referring to one specific draft and one specific draft spot.

Correct me if i am wrong but I did specifically talk about 2 positions in the QB and WR. So out of the WR part of the equation, how well have our picks done in the Wilf era?

Well, as fans that is what we do. Personally I like to set high expectations for the team and want them to put together a team that is as good as it can be. If you are OK with a mediocre play and are happy they can put together a run good enough to get to the NFCC game every once in a while and invent a new way to blow it then that is your prerogative. I however put a higher expectation on the organization.If they are content being the butt of jokes and known for blowing games, picks etc at the worst possible time then I guess that is their right too.

I never have stated that I could do better and to be honest that is a stupid comment. What I expect is that they will be as good at making those choices as the other FO's in the division and the league. Look at the QB and WR positions in the rest of the NFCN- Do you honestly think we have done a better job since Wilf bought the team than they have? I don't.
    Someone piss in your wheaties today?

Since the topic was Ponder and most of the discussion was revolving around the 2011 draft when we picked him, it seemed like you were also talking about that specific draft. If you weren't, OK. I agree we haven't done the best as an organization ever since the Wilfs took over put their stupid TOA in place. I was very glad that they went to an actual GM this offseason, and we saw immediate improvement in the draft. FAs were still pretty bad, but at least there WAS a theme and identity put in place. The Vikings went for youth with the knowledge that some of them would not pan out, but the ones that do will be here for a while. I actually like that strategy.

And I have never stated that I am content with "mediocre play and are happy they can put together a run good enough to get to the NFCC game every once in a while and invent a new way to blow it." And to be honest THAT is a stupid comment.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Someone piss in your wheaties today?
    Nope. Not at all. However, if you decide to make a habit of picking things out of posts and taking them out of context, then I need to clarify them and that is what I did.

Since the topic was Ponder and most of the discussion was revolving around the 2011 draft when we picked him, it seemed like you were also talking about that specific draft. If you weren't, OK.
    Good.

I agree we haven't done the best as an organization ever since the Wilfs took over put their stupid TOA in place.
    Good.

I was very glad that they went to an actual GM this offseason,

They didn't. They only changed Spielmans title. He doesn't have the last word on the coaching staff which is controlled by Frazier and Frazier answers to Wilf. Basically it is the TOA rebranded.

and we saw immediate improvement in the draft.
    Yeah, we may have 4 players out of 12 picks. Certainly an improvement but we are not going to have 2 1sts and 6 picks in the first 4 rounds every year.

FAs were still pretty bad, but at least there WAS a theme and identity put in place.
    What is that identity?

The Vikings went for youth with the knowledge that some of them would not pan out, but the ones that do will be here for a while. I actually like that strategy.
    I don't mind that strategy at all but that is not a philosophy. The philosophy I am talking about is in regards to the type of offense that we will run and the defense we will run over the long term. Something that becomes an identity like when we had the PPE. Or when we had a deep passing game that lit up the league. That is the identity I am talking about.

And I have never stated that I am content with "mediocre play and are happy they can put together a run good enough to get to the NFCC game every once in a while and invent a new way to blow it." And to be honest THAT is a stupid comment.
    You may have not stated that you are happy about it but you are very quick to defend the actions that lead to it and you are also quick to judge those who do not agree with those actions so it is hard to see you as anything else.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Sure.

Vick
    Foles
    Skelton
    Sanchez
    Cassel

I am sure there are others. All of them are pretty much in the same boat as Ponder - they are sucking this year - but at least with Ponder we know what we have. Better the beast that we know...
    Vick isn't a starter and will be released at some point before the SB. So that leaves 4.

I might not be so sure to rule Foles out yet. At least he moves around and can get the ball to an open WR. Still, there is a darn short list.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Lippythelion69 View Post
    Cousins of Washington went 4 th round last year
    He is better than weak armed Punder
    Russell Wilson, round 3

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    What is that identity?
    For the most part of FA it was wait until the talent pool was sucked down to the muck, pull a bunch of players out of that muck & also sign a player who never played college football & hope like to find a diamond in the rough.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Sure.

Vick
    Foles
    Skelton
    Sanchez
    Cassel

Vick and Foles??? shit.... Vick would be leaps and bounds better in our offense than Ponder... Foles has gotten better... Cassel, Skelton, Sanchez, and Kolb are all bad but Ponder is in that SAME category.. I'm not sure any of them are better than the other.

Blog Entries
    OK, I am officially on the fence with Ponder right now.

He is certainly playing better in the final few games than I expected him to. But I believe that much of the credit should go to Musgrave, who has found a way to utilize Ponder to the best of his abilities. Part of me would love to see what Musgrave would do with a top tier QB.

But unless Ponder craps the bed against GB in the playoffs, I think he has played well enough that the front office is not going to make a major push to bring in anyone else in the offseason. Not saying that I think Ponder is the answer - because I don't. But it is all about return on investment... would we be a better team keeping Ponder and focusing on other positions like WR, possibly picking up a QB in the second or third? Or would we be a better team if we pursued a QB like A. Smith, or traded up to get G. Smith in the draft? I don't think any of the QB options out there right now are worth the price they will take to get. If Ponder can continue to do what he is doing right now, I think we would be better addressing other positions.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast