Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Ponder

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
    How did that work out for him in 2010? No Sidney Rice and Favre looked as bad as Ponder does now.

Not that I believe in Ponder, I've lost faith in him. But we desperately need WRs.
    Farve got old and just didn't have it anymore...but, I like to point out he still looked better than Ponder. He never had almost 6 consecative sub 100 yard games.

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni
    PLEASE re-title this thread to "Squander"

30whales is offline Training Camp
    Trade for Ryan Mallett!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Ponder

All this proves is that the front office has no clue how to find or evaluate talent at the WR and QB positions or how to develop them,

For the first few years of the Wilf era the common line was "who could they have taken"?

Well. Now the league has plenty of WRs and QBs playing that were on the board when we picked do is isn't that we didn't have the chance to draft good talent, they just didn't have the skills to make the correct analysis.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    All this proves is that the front office has no clue how to find or evaluate talent at the WR and QB positions or how to develop them,

For the first few years of the Wilf era the common line was "who could they have taken"?

Well. Now the league has plenty of WRs and QBs playing that were on the board when we picked do is isn't that we didn't have the chance to draft good talent, they just didn't have the skills to make the correct analysis.
    Out of curiosity, can you name the "plenty" of QBs who were on the board when we picked Ponder? I am pretty sure there was one who looks like he MIGHT turn out - Kaepernick. Every other one even picked around him is in more or less the same boat as Ponder. If you want to make the argument that we should have traded up to get our guy or waited in a weak QB class, that has a little more support. But saying that we just passed up on talent is wrong. Keep in mind that we needed a QB - so drafting a WR would have meant we needed to look somewhere else for a QB, so you would have to solve that one as well.

I also think that our draft was pretty damn good last year, so the idea that we can't evaluate talent might be off. Our free agent pick ups did not pan out, I agree.

It is easy to sit back and criticize the front office with the benefit of hindsight as well as the luxury of making flippant remarks about who you would have picked if you were in their position. I doubt that there is a person on this board who could have done a better job.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Out of curiosity, can you name the "plenty" of QBs who were on the board when we picked Ponder? I am pretty sure there was one who looks like he MIGHT turn out - Kaepernick.
    Kaepernick, Dalton, Mallett

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Kaepernick, Dalton, Mallett
    I'll give you Dalton. Mallett has thrown a grand total of 4 passes in the NFL. One was completed. One was intercepted. I think you might need a LITTLE more before you can declare him to be better than Ponder.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

30whales is offline Training Camp
    I'll give you Dalton. Mallett has thrown a grand total of 4 passes in the NFL. One was completed. One was intercepted. I think you might need a LITTLE more before you can declare him to be better than Ponder.
    I would take Mallett over Ponder any day of the week. Mallett has an absolute cannon unlike Ponder whose arm strength rivals Ben Revere's. The only reason Mallett fell was some characteristic flaws.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Out of curiosity, can you name the "plenty" of QBs who were on the board when we picked Ponder?
    I wasn't talking specifically about that particular draft but the drafts while Wilf has owned the team dating back to 2005. After Culpepper went down there have been a large number of QB's to come into the league and be successful and many of them were on the board when we picked. Same goes for the WR position.
    If you don't believe that fine. IDC.

I am pretty sure there was one who looks like he MIGHT turn out - Kaepernick. Every other one even picked around him is in more or less the same boat as Ponder. If you want to make the argument that we should have traded up to get our guy or waited in a weak QB class, that has a little more support. But saying that we just passed up on talent is wrong. Keep in mind that we needed a QB - so drafting a WR would have meant we needed to look somewhere else for a QB, so you would have to solve that one as well.

Like I said, I was not referring to one specific draft and one specific draft spot.

I also think that our draft was pretty damn good last year, so the idea that we can't evaluate talent might be off. Our free agent pick ups did not pan out, I agree.
    Correct me if i am wrong but I did specifically talk about 2 positions in the QB and WR. So out of the WR part of the equation, how well have our picks done in the Wilf era?

It is easy to sit back and criticize the front office with the benefit of hindsight as well as the luxury of making flippant remarks about who you would have picked if you were in their position. I doubt that there is a person on this board who could have done a better job.
    Well, as fans that is what we do. Personally I like to set high expectations for the team and want them to put together a team that is as good as it can be. If you are OK with a mediocre play and are happy they can put together a run good enough to get to the NFCC game every once in a while and invent a new way to blow it then that is your prerogative. I however put a higher expectation on the organization.If they are content being the butt of jokes and known for blowing games, picks etc at the worst possible time then I guess that is their right too.

I never have stated that I could do better and to be honest that is a stupid comment. What I expect is that they will be as good at making those choices as the other FO's in the division and the league. Look at the QB and WR positions in the rest of the NFCN- Do you honestly think we have done a better job since Wilf bought the team than they have? I don't.

Ponder

Cousins of Washington went 4 th round last year
    He is better than weak armed Punder
    None

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast