Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Ponder

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by keystonevike View Post
    AP runs for more yards than Ponder passes for. I know why the team stands behind him right now. He was a reach at twelve and FO doesn't want to admit what we already know. He can't play at this level. His stats may look average on paper, but there have been some games where he padded his stats during garbage time. So I don't see coaches sitting him down to take a look at Webb or whomever. Ponder is the guy for the rest of the season, so we will be subjected to NFL bloopers-type play (or worse) from the QB. But AFTER the season is over, FO absolutely needs to eject him (or let him carry a clipboard) and go after a good QB that will give us a chance to win. It doesn't have to be a great QB, just someone who limits mistakes, and plays well enough to keep drives alive and is able to get that key TD to win us some games. AP and defense can handle the rest. Alex Smith's time in SF is over. He can put us over the top. Matt Flynn could probably make us a consistent 10 or 11 win team. He certainly is better than what we got now. Maybe even Kirk Cousins (who I think could be really good) could be acquired from Redskins now that they know RG3 can play at this level. I'm just throwin' suggestions out here because we could have the worst QB in the league if it wasn't for the triumvirate in Arizona.
    LORD I hope we don't sign Alex Smith... He is pretty bad as well and is a check down master all the same as Ponder... I'd rather see Vick... Smith won't offer much aside from being a game manager.. We need a QB that can take some pressure off of AD.

keystonevike is offline Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    LORD I hope we don't sign Alex Smith... He is pretty bad as well and is a check down master all the same as Ponder... I'd rather see Vick... Smith won't offer much aside from being a game manager.. We need a QB that can take some pressure off of AD.
    I'm sayin' all we may need is a game manager. Doesn't make mistakes, is able to stretch a defense, and will make the defense respect the pass, thereby taking the load off AP. He can also keep drives alive so we're not subjected to 3 plays and a punt. Right now, the D is back on the field before they even have a chance to sit down and catch their breath. He has playoff experience, and may have taken SF to SB last year if Kyle Williams could catch punts.
    All due respect, but I don't see Vick as the guy. He's really taken a beating the past 2 years, and has only played in all 16 games once in his career. If he gets hurt, we'd be back to Ponder. UGH!
    I ponder why Christian is even a starting NFL QB.

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    I don't want to see Alex Smith either, but if he's the best available vet then I'd be all for it. I don't want to be forced to watch another playoff caliber team wasted while we coddle Ponder for another year. I'm starting to believe the Vikings were designated as the leagues special ed developmental QB program. The sad reality is we'd be a playoff team right now if we had a viable QB on the roster.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
    I don't want to see Alex Smith either, but if he's the best available vet then I'd be all for it. I don't want to be forced to watch another playoff caliber team wasted while we coddle Ponder for another year. I'm starting to believe the Vikings were designated as the leagues special ed developmental QB program. The sad reality is we'd be a playoff team right now if we had a viable QB on the roster.
    yeah but we need more than a game manager in order to have a realistic shot at "just" making the playoffs.... the team has played well enough to make some noise if we make it this year or next year.. we just need a guy to take pressure off AD and keep the defense honest... that's not a game manager in my opinion... with a game manager teams will still stack the box against AD...

keystonevike is offline Starter
    I'm not bending over backwards to make a case for Smith, but he will be an available name out there. Like you, and all Vikings fans, I just want a QB to make us that playoff team. With our running game, combined with some good QB play, we could be a dangerous playoff team.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Are you sure about this? Do you have access to the coach's footage? Are you sure it's not 7 in the box? Are they backing off into zone coverage?

Just asking. Most of the "8-9 men in the box" talk is only about 40% of what defenses run against us.... but people just say it without actually knowing what they're talking about.
    I'm not one of them... We face 9 or 10 in the box, Now the question to ask is are they blitzes or underneath coverages. We have been seeing a fair share of underneath zones, zone blitzes and under schemes to give the apperence of the blitz....

With that said... What does it matter? The reason's defenses are stacking the box is because Ponder cannot throw. Weather they move the Lbs and Safeties up and then drop then into coverage it's irrelevant! Why? Glad you asked...

1. It makes the Oline's job harder in reading who is blitzing and who is staying. If the Safeties played honest then there would be less people to keep track of and less of a change of our Center/ missing the blitz call. Dlines would then not be able to get as exotic with stunts and crashes because the Lbs would not be in position to keep containment.

2. It makes Peterson's Job harder. A LB 5 yards off the ball gives Peterson enough time to hit the hole at full speed. When they start creeping up, they shorten the distance between them and the LOS and hit Peterson before he is at full gallop. Add safeties to this list, even if they bail before reading run....they are closer to the play and hole than they normally would be and can help make the play. More people around is how backs get hurt by rolling up on extra men in the pile.

3. It makes Harvin's and Rudolph's jobs harder. Ruu has to stay in and block instead of using that great frame and hands to help move the ball. Harvin, has a harder time catching the 3 yard screen and is forced to beat 3 defenders before he hits the LOS. All because his QB sucks.

smegmavike is offline Coach
    the scarriest thing about how bad Ponder is/is playing.. he's throwing against 2 or 3 guys in the secondary bc teams are constantly playing 8-9 men in the box.... he should be picking guys apart.... but he's not.... we need a QB bad.... I wish guys would stop making excuses for him.. he just isnt' that good... We have a bad receiving corps, but not the worst in the league... with play action and 1-on-1's everywhere else... there's no excuse for his play.
    Believe me, my opinion at this point in time is that Ponder lacks the basic skill set to be a successful franchise QB.
    First and foremost is his adverse reaction to pressure. This may be more inate than a learned response, which could make it impossible to correct, and would account for his past history of not doing well in the big games in college.
    Second is his arm strength. He has the arm to throw the ball long only if he puts a big arch on the throw. This leads to floaters that drop out of the sky and an inherent tendency toward inaccuracy.
    His other deficiencies can be improved upon in time.
    So I'm not a Ponder believer.
    I'm resigned to the fact, the organization is going to give Ponder another year and will parade out the excuse train for him soon. You will see them say he just needs more time and a better supporting cast.
    I doubt they will ever admit a mistake. I hope they don't compound that mistake and waste a playoff caliber team due to their stubborn ego.
    BTW I don't want Alex Smith either.
    Last edited by smegmavike; 12-10-2012 at 01:27 PM.

yeah but we need more than a game manager in order to have a realistic shot at "just" making the playoffs.... the team has played well enough to make some noise if we make it this year or next year.. we just need a guy to take pressure off AD and keep the defense honest... that's not a game manager in my opinion... with a game manager teams will still stack the box against AD...
    Exactly, that's why I don't really want Smith. I'd rather see us find a franchise type guy, but if we can't find that guy and our only option is Ponder, I'd rather have Smith. I don't want to see Vick because I think he'll be McNabb 2.0. Maybe not quite as bad as McNabb, but I see him being a bust and turnover machine with us.

Quote Originally Posted by keystonevike View Post
    I'm not bending over backwards to make a case for Smith, but he will be an available name out there. Like you, and all Vikings fans, I just want a QB to make us that playoff team. With our running game, combined with some good QB play, we could be a dangerous playoff team.
    Same here. As long as we have AP we don't need a Rodgers or a Brees type QB, but we need a huge improvement over Ponder if we not only want to become a playoff caliber team, but a championship caliber team. I'm tired of squeaking into the playoffs at 9-7 or 10-6 only to be one and done in a road playoff game.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Same here. As long as we have AP we don't need a Rodgers or a Brees type QB, but we need a huge improvement over Ponder if we not only want to become a playoff caliber team, but a championship caliber team. I'm tired of squeaking into the playoffs at 9-7 or 10-6 only to be one and done in a road playoff game.
    Shouldn't we be aiming to get a Brees type QB anyway? Why can't you have both? Why can't you have a Aikman and Emith? Why not an Elway and Davis? Why does one exclude the other? We shouldn't be aiming for just enough. We should be looking to add elite players at both position so if someone has a bad day, the other can carry the team. Instead, AP can never have a bad day cause if he does.... blow out city.

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast