Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Ponder

^^^Are you hinting Ponder has a problem hitting receivers in stride? Lol
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by battleaxe4cheese View Post
    ^^^Are you hinting Ponder has a problem hitting receivers in stride? Lol
    No!!!!
    The problem is the receivers of his passes are on the other team.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post

If its the WR's how come Percy didn't have a problem catching them? .
    Hi passes caught were like from 3 yards behind the LOS to it.

Check the post a few down on his completion percentage past 15 yards.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Christian Ponder
    Passer rating: 53.8
    " Ponder didn't complete a pass that traveled longer than 9 yards in the air. Over his past five games, in fact, Ponder has completed one of 21 attempts of 15 yards or more, including 17 consecutive incompletions."

Scary!!!!!
    NFC North Week 14 Quarterback Report - NFC North Blog - ESPN
    I know it's Siefert's quote and not yours Kevon, but just to take some of the drama out of that quote can we clear up the "in the air" portion.

I think he had plenty of passes that went over 9 yards in the air or have they starting to triangulate passes from the QB's hand to the recievers' body. Less than 9 yards down field would be a bit more meaningful of a statement.

The point is, we don't have a vertical passing game. Ponder has been less than spectacular. His support is limited, but he should still be able to show more than what he currently is displaying. For the record, I didn't think his play was all that bad on Sunday. He didn't do anything significant one way or the other, and we won the game. Kind of the point. Cutler on the other hand, I thought had a bad game. He had many more passes off target than Ponder. Two that were picked, one more that should have been if Sanford didn't get a case of the butter fingers. He also had many passes that were off target and some of his biggest plays were when his recievers pushed off and made plays. Me thinks that even the lowly Ponder would have more success with those receivers than what he has here in MN. If Cutler was a Viking with our current cast, this whole forum would be storming the castle with pitchforks in hand.

Another thing that continues to bother me, is the general NFL fanbase that is convinced that the only way to victory is through a pass happy offense. That is merely one aspect of the overall game, one that we need to drastically improve, but you don't need to win games through the air. It's just one of many ways to beat an opponent. I still believe the point of the game is to score more points than your opponent, however you can make it happen. GB didn't win through the air yesterday, San Fran hardly ever does, Seattle doesn't. Cutler and RGII only average a few more yards per game than Ponder,..... I bet if you look at the scoreboard from this weekend's game you will find the QB with the most passing yards lost more often than they won.

Yesterday was a victory against a tough conference foe, that no matter how badly you want to look for faults in individual players, the bottom line is that as a team we won.

We are 3-2 in conference play, in what many thought was the toughest division in football going into the year. We have had many new players on the roster contributing greatly to this year's success. To simply obsess on Ponder, with no immediate solution apparent, I think is a futile exercise that will only continue to take folks down a long and unpleasant path.

smegmavike is offline Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I know it's Siefert's quote and not yours Kevon, but just to take some of the drama out of that quote can we clear up the "in the air" portion.

I think he had plenty of passes that went over 9 yards in the air or have they starting to triangulate passes from the QB's hand to the recievers' body. Less than 9 yards down field would be a bit more meaningful of a statement.

The point is, we don't have a vertical passing game. Ponder has been less than spectacular. His support is limited, but he should still be able to show more than what he currently is displaying. For the record, I didn't think his play was all that bad on Sunday. He didn't do anything significant one way or the other, and we won the game. Kind of the point. Cutler on the other hand, I thought had a bad game. He had many more passes off target than Ponder. Two that were picked, one more that should have been if Sanford didn't get a case of the butter fingers. He also had many passes that were off target and some of his biggest plays were when his recievers pushed off and made plays. Me thinks that even the lowly Ponder would have more success with those receivers than what he has here in MN. If Cutler was a Viking with our current cast, this whole forum would be storming the castle with pitchforks in hand.

Another thing that continues to bother me, is the general NFL fanbase that is convinced that the only way to victory is through a pass happy offense. That is merely one aspect of the overall game, one that we need to drastically improve, but you don't need to win games through the air. It's just one of many ways to beat an opponent. I still believe the point of the game is to score more points than your opponent, however you can make it happen. GB didn't win through the air yesterday, San Fran hardly ever does, Seattle doesn't. Cutler and RGII only average a few more yards per game than Ponder,..... I bet if you look at the scoreboard from this weekend's game you will find the QB with the most passing yards lost more often than they won.

Yesterday was a victory against a tough conference foe, that no matter how badly you want to look for faults in individual players, the bottom line is that as a team we won.

We are 3-2 in conference play, in what many thought was the toughest division in football going into the year. We have had many new players on the roster contributing greatly to this year's success. To simply obsess on Ponder, with no immediate solution apparent, I think is a futile exercise that will only continue to take folks down a long and unpleasant path.
    Good post. But just imagine how good this team would be with a little better QB play and a balanced attack.
    Maybe we will see that next year with better weapons around Ponder. But they may want to give Ponder a sedative before games so he can calm down.
    If he could just develop some calmness and poise in the pocket he could step up and deliver instead of bailing out the back in a panic.
    Until he becomes calm under fire he wont improve.
    And just a little improvement could make this team a legitimate contender.
    Never the less, the Vikings have exceeded expectations this year and continue to make NFL football relevant for their fans into December.
    Nothing short of a superbowl win will ever reduce the criticism of this team.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Good post. But just imagine how good this team would be with a little better QB play and a balanced attack.
    Maybe we will see that next year with better weapons around Ponder. But they may want to give Ponder a sedative before games so he can calm down.
    If he could just develop some calmness and poise in the pocket he could step up and deliver instead of bailing out the back in a panic.
    Until he becomes calm under fire he wont improve.
    And just a little improvement could make this team a legitimate contender.
    Never the less, the Vikings have exceeded expectations this year and continue to make NFL football relevant for their fans into December.
    Nothing short of a superbowl win will ever reduce the criticism of this team.
    the scarriest thing about how bad Ponder is/is playing.. he's throwing against 2 or 3 guys in the secondary bc teams are constantly playing 8-9 men in the box.... he should be picking guys apart.... but he's not.... we need a QB bad.... I wish guys would stop making excuses for him.. he just isnt' that good... We have a bad receiving corps, but not the worst in the league... with play action and 1-on-1's everywhere else... there's no excuse for his play.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    the scarriest thing about how bad Ponder is/is playing.. he's throwing against 2 or 3 guys in the secondary bc teams are constantly playing 8-9 men in the box.... he should be picking guys apart.... but he's not.... we need a QB bad.... I wish guys would stop making excuses for him.. he just isnt' that good... We have a bad receiving corps, but not the worst in the league... with play action and 1-on-1's everywhere else... there's no excuse for his play.
    Thank you , thank you , thank you. The first guy to understand this. Do you think Farve threw the least amount of INTs in his career because he suddenly became careful? No, he was throwing against shell coverages. This is what happens when your back is a Hall of Famer!!!
    Yet our QB is so bad... he can't beat the easiest coverage he will ever see!!!!!

keystonevike is offline Starter
    AP runs for more yards than Ponder passes for. I know why the team stands behind him right now. He was a reach at twelve and FO doesn't want to admit what we already know. He can't play at this level. His stats may look average on paper, but there have been some games where he padded his stats during garbage time. So I don't see coaches sitting him down to take a look at Webb or whomever. Ponder is the guy for the rest of the season, so we will be subjected to NFL bloopers-type play (or worse) from the QB. But AFTER the season is over, FO absolutely needs to eject him (or let him carry a clipboard) and go after a good QB that will give us a chance to win. It doesn't have to be a great QB, just someone who limits mistakes, and plays well enough to keep drives alive and is able to get that key TD to win us some games. AP and defense can handle the rest. Alex Smith's time in SF is over. He can put us over the top. Matt Flynn could probably make us a consistent 10 or 11 win team. He certainly is better than what we got now. Maybe even Kirk Cousins (who I think could be really good) could be acquired from Redskins now that they know RG3 can play at this level. I'm just throwin' suggestions out here because we could have the worst QB in the league if it wasn't for the triumvirate in Arizona.

Viking in Arkansas is offline Training Camp
    He wasn't that great of a QB when he played in college, either. I was extremely critical of the pick when we took him in the draft, but decided to give him a shot. I was bragging about him and saying how wrong I was about him to all of the Cowboys fans down here. Looks I shouldn't have been so optimistic. I am bias, but I would have taken Ryan Mallett. His "off the field" trouble was nothing more than a smear campaign by agents to get their guy drafted higher.

It stinks that we have to address the QB situation in the draft so soon, but we need to use one of our first 3 picks on a QB, in my opinion. I hope we go after a QB and a LB with our first few picks. WR is another area of need, but there are a lot of free agents to go after. Bowe, Henderson, Welker(franchise free agent), Jennings, Driver, Cruz (RFA).

Hopefully we draft Tyler Wilson, Matt Barkley(depending on draft position), or Aaron Murray. Any of those three would be able to step in as rookies and do a better job than Ponder.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    Thank you , thank you , thank you. The first guy to understand this. Do you think Farve threw the least amount of INTs in his career because he suddenly became careful? No, he was throwing against shell coverages. This is what happens when your back is a Hall of Famer!!!
    Yet our QB is so bad... he can't beat the easiest coverage he will ever see!!!!!
    Are you sure about this? Do you have access to the coach's footage? Are you sure it's not 7 in the box? Are they backing off into zone coverage?

Just asking. Most of the "8-9 men in the box" talk is only about 40% of what defenses run against us.... but people just say it without actually knowing what they're talking about.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast