Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Ponder

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I don't think anyone on the team is in any danger of being over coached to be honest.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by thorshammer View Post
    Does anyone else here think Ponder is being over coached?? I think they've got him so worried about what he's doing that it's causing him to hold the ball to long. He hesitates on everything like he's second guessing himself. I think they have ruined him.
    We saw that with Jackson. Whether it was peer pressure and/or media/fan attacks every time he turned the ball over, he was hesitant on his throws & held onto the ball to long only wanting to throw more of a sure pass to a wide open receiver, rather than throw it into tight coverage & risk an INT.

I don't believe it's from being over coached or being coached wrong. It's a mental decision that's engrained into their heads trying to be extra cautious & not make mistakes. However, as we've seen, they still made them.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I think Ponder might have a chance.
    A "rat's chance in hell" or "slim & none"?

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    I'm not even gonna read the whole thread, just gonna throw my two cents in....

a. First, its way to soon to make up our mind about Ponder. For the life of me I can't figure out why, what I believed to be a knowledgeable fan base can't understand that you don't just get instant success growing one of these cats.

Is it because of guys like RGIII and Luck who come in and do great? Guess what, look at the situation. Both of them have damn good WR's around them. Both of them have coaching staffs that know how to fit their talent and scheme around them.

Both of them will probably have just as much problems as other flash in the pan QB's their second year (ala Newton, Sanchez, Flacco, Ryan etc).

b. Arm Strength.....Our good friend Singer seems to have spewed his "weak arm" perception enough for most of you to start believing it. His evidence is that they only throw short passes to Percy.

Guess what, Percy is a WR that is best at catching short passes. I mean seriously, do you consider Brady a weak arm cause he throws almost all his passes to Welker? No, you don't, because he does throw a few to his WR's when they get open deep just like he hits his TE's in the intermediate routes.

Hasn't Ponder had some success hitting Rudy in those same routes? Difference is, Brady has a bazillion reps at making those throws and WR's that can get enough separation to be viable targets on throws like that. Get young Ponder a WR that can work the DB to the inside, allowing a bigger gap between he and the sideline and Ponder will make those throws as well. He's done it as a Viking. What he hasn't done is drop the perfect pass into the perfect spot because for the most part the WR just doesn't work the DB right.

c. Wasting AD. Ponder isn't wasting AD. Musgrove is wasting AD. This offense is designed to work off the play action fake. For the play action fake to work you need one thing......A RB IN THE BACK FIELD....Who is Ponder to fake to when Musgrove continually takes AD out?

In the end, I beg our fan base to come back to reality. Have patience with the young QB. Vent on the O-coord and WR's for goodness sake. That is were the problem lies.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by thorshammer View Post
    Does anyone else here think Ponder is being over coached?? I think they've got him so worried about what he's doing that it's causing him to hold the ball to long. He hesitates on everything like he's second guessing himself. I think they have ruined him.
    Thor, my good friend....

He hesitates because the WR's run crap routes. Basic stuff, 3 step drop, 7 to 9 step tree and break, ball is there and the receiver should have 1 to 3 step separation.

What he sees when he gets to his set step is WR's still in their tree or just coming out of their breaks with very few of them getting any separation.

That is the hesitation. Not because he is confused or lost, because the timing isn't there.

Go back and watch the timing routes with Percy (don't believe Singer, he ran other routes than just bubble routes). Percy knew how to do things like break a step off the tree so he could get out of his break early if the pressure was coming.

That stuff helps a young QB get confidence in you especially when you are throwing timing routes/throws when the ball is supposed to be out and on its way to the spot, most times, before the receiver even gets there.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    c. Wasting AD. Ponder isn't wasting AD. Musgrove is wasting AD. This offense is designed to work off the play action fake. For the play action fake to work you need one thing......A RB IN THE BACK FIELD....Who is Ponder to fake to when Musgrove continually takes AD out?
    Actually, you need two things. You also need a QB who can sell the "fake" & is good at hiding the ball. Have you watched Ponder try to do this? LOL!

One more thing.........

Who else do you want other than Ponder next year?

Vick? He's another wore out QB ala Dnabb.

Alex Smith? LOL, his fans gave up on him each and every year until he found a good coach. Now every one wants him except the FO Puke who has to pay him next year.

Barclay? How the mighty have fallen. Kid should have come out last year when he had everyone fooled.

Face it my friends, your stuck watching Ponder grow. Might as well get him so tools (WR's and a Coach) that will help that growth.

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Actually, you need two things. You also need a QB who can sell the "fake" & is good at hiding the ball. Have you watched Ponder try to do this? LOL!
    He does it well enough all things considered. Fact is he does it better than most of the QBs in the league and seems to be getting better at it.

His problem is AD I think. AD tends to head to the whole AD wants to hit when AD should stay in line with the whole the QB thinks he's going to.

Over time Ponder and AD will work that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    One more thing.........

Who else do you want other than Ponder next year?

Vick? He's another wore out QB ala Dnabb.

Alex Smith? LOL, his fans gave up on him each and every year until he found a good coach. Now every one wants him except the FO Puke who has to pay him next year.

Barclay? How the mighty have fallen. Kid should have come out last year when he had everyone fooled.

Face it my friends, your stuck watching Ponder grow. Might as well get him so tools (WR's and a Coach) that will help that growth.

I've already stated here that Ponder will probably be our QB next year. Spielman likes him and has hitched his wagon to him.

I don't want another aged veteran "stop gap" QB. We need to find another franchise QB thru the draft & there doesn't seem like anyone's there to fill the bill. That leaves us stuck with Ponder.

Forget Spielman bringing in a top FA WR this offseason. His style is to bring in budget players who might become a diamond in the rough or blow big wads on mediocre players. You'll just end up seeing more of what we have signed out of FA for receivers recently. Just new names & faces.

As it stands today, we'd be picking 19th in the draft. What kind of WR would we get in that slot?

As we improve as we go & pick even later in the draft, what kind of QB is going to be available that late?

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I've already stated here that Ponder will probably be our QB next year. Spielman likes him and has hitched his wagon to him.

I don't want another aged veteran "stop gap" QB. We need to find another franchise QB thru the draft & there doesn't seem like anyone's there to fill the bill. That leaves us stuck with Ponder.

Forget Spielman bringing in a top FA WR this offseason. His style is to bring in budget players who might become a diamond in the rough or blow big wads on mediocre players. You'll just end up seeing more of what we have signed out of FA for receivers recently. Just new names & faces.

As it stands today, we'd be picking 19th in the draft. What kind of WR would we get in that slot?

As we improve as we go & pick even later in the draft, what kind of QB is going to be available that late?
    I'm surprised your hacking on Spielman.......He went after Jackson. Again, he went after Jackson. Not once, but twice. I suspect the whole stadium thing is why they didn't go after him again.

If the Wilfs give him freedom to spend, he will spend.

Hopkins, Williams and Hunter are all fine prospects when it comes to big bodied, possession types of guys that can work the middle in front of Percy. The draft is loaded with fast guys who can run a 7, 8 and 9 route. Get a backup to Simpson there in case he doesn't come around.

Not sure about you but I'd be pretty happy with a 12 set of:

AD - Rudy/Riesner - Harvin/Fitz

Or a 11 set of

AD - Rudy - Harvin/Fitz/Simpson

Insert Floyd/Bowe for Fitz

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast