Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 89101112 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Ponder

kingpin9995 is offline Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Waves,
    I know that year we were looking for a QB but if someone with "it" isn't there, you don't pull the deal. You have the balls to go to ownership and say "Hey our guy isn't there." Drafting a QB will set this franchise back a couple of years. I rather take the chance, communicate why we passed but selected a better player, than to pick a pig and try and put lipstick on her.
    Any of these Ponder lovers that cannot see what's in front of them are just kidding themselves. The
    Vikings were hoodwinked a few years back in their qb hunt. It was a WEAK class of qb's and we needed one.
    When Locker went who is what the Vikings wanted they PANICKED. You can't panic at the qb position. Lets
    face reality. Ponder's name as a first round pick never even materialized until the demand for qb's in the
    early part of the first round took steam. In a year where top teams were not picking qb's Ponder would not
    have even been mentioned in the first round and he never was until the market expanded for qb's that year.
    The book on this guy is exactly what he has shown. The one thing that scared me about him besides his
    not ready for the NFL arm was the reports of how he struggles mightily against any good competiton , and
    'wilted in crunch time. A weak arm plus his tendency to melt in big games told me please don't take this guy
    this early in the draft. What these Ponder lovers are not seeing is that Ponder has the exact formula to succeed
    as a young qb coming in green. A great runner, a very big good tight end to throw to, and a very elusive
    receiver in Harvin whom he can throw the shortest of passes to and succeed with his YAC. It worked early
    but teams took that short stuff away. He was exposed for what he is. A very limited guy in the passing game
    that you can shrink the field on defensively. Not ONE OF THE ROOKIES THIS YEAR HAS THE PERFECT
    FORMULA PONDER HAD TO SUCCEED, AND HE HAS FAILED MISERABLY. With Harvin gone now he is dead
    as he can't throw his 2 yard hitches to him and let Harvin run for first downs. He actually has to throw
    the ball 10 yards down field now which he struggles with mightily.

I don't care who your receivers are , when you have 4 games that you only get above 100 yards passing because
    the defense plays prevent the last 4 minutes and gives you 60 yards THAT TELLS ME THE GUY SUCKS.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Waves,
    I know that year we were looking for a QB but if someone with "it" isn't there, you don't pull the deal. You have the balls to go to ownership and say "Hey our guy isn't there." Drafting a QB will set this franchise back a couple of years. I rather take the chance, communicate why we passed but selected a better player, than to pick a pig and try and put lipstick on her.
    Your throwing a scenario out there that quite likely has nothing to do with how it actually went down. But even if it did, it's not necessarily the wrong approach. Risk/reward.

I doubt they thought Ponder was a pig that only needed a little lipstick. They probably believed he had a fair chance of being the guy they needed and worth the price (risk) of a #12 pick. They also probably believed that there was a decent chance he wouldn't work out as it is one of the most difficult positions to gauge. If he really was a sure thing an "it" or a no-brainer, then he wouldn't have been available at #12. When an actual sure thing does come along, most likely you won't be in a position to draft him.

If you want to land your franchise QB in the draft, you need a lot of things to go your way. For many teams it means taking a chance on a number of draft picks until you find the guy that works out. Very costly, but the risk may be worth the reward. QB's are just too important and for most franchises, that means the price is going to be very steep to find that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by kingpin9995 View Post
    Any of these Ponder lovers that cannot see what's in front of them are just kidding themselves. The
    Vikings were hoodwinked a few years back in their qb hunt. It was a WEAK class of qb's and we needed one.
    When Locker went who is what the Vikings wanted they PANICKED. You can't panic at the qb position. Lets
    face reality. Ponder's name as a first round pick never even materialized until the demand for qb's in the
    early part of the first round took steam. In a year where top teams were not picking qb's Ponder would not
    have even been mentioned in the first round and he never was until the market expanded for qb's that year.
    The book on this guy is exactly what he has shown. The one thing that scared me about him besides his
    not ready for the NFL arm was the reports of how he struggles mightily against any good competiton , and
    'wilted in crunch time. A weak arm plus his tendency to melt in big games told me please don't take this guy
    this early in the draft. What these Ponder lovers are not seeing is that Ponder has the exact formula to succeed
    as a young qb coming in green. A great runner, a very big good tight end to throw to, and a very elusive
    receiver in Harvin whom he can throw the shortest of passes to and succeed with his YAC. It worked early
    but teams took that short stuff away. He was exposed for what he is. A very limited guy in the passing game
    that you can shrink the field on defensively. Not ONE OF THE ROOKIES THIS YEAR HAS THE PERFECT
    FORMULA PONDER HAD TO SUCCEED, AND HE HAS FAILED MISERABLY. With Harvin gone now he is dead
    as he can't throw his 2 yard hitches to him and let Harvin run for first downs. He actually has to throw
    the ball 10 yards down field now which he struggles with mightily.

I don't care who your receivers are , when you have 4 games that you only get above 100 yards passing because
    the defense plays prevent the last 4 minutes and gives you 60 yards THAT TELLS ME THE GUY SUCKS.
    Put King down in the Ponder SUCKS category, in case anyone missed it. Something he's known since we drafted him, but has decided now is the time to let us all know in case there is anyone out there that might think otherwise. I dare anyone to come on here and tell King that Ponder can still make it in the NFL, I triple double dog dare you. Come on, come on....

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Put King down in the Ponder SUCKS category, in case anyone missed it. Something he's known since we drafted him, but has decided now is the time to let us all know in case there is anyone out there that might think otherwise. I dare anyone to come on here and tell King that Ponder can still make it in the NFL, I triple double dog dare you. Come on, come on....

I think Ponder might have a chance.

Ponder

I'll be your huckleberry.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I'll be your huckleberry.
    LOL lunger!

SharperImage is offline Hall of Famer
    I wanted Ryan Mallett. I say we trade for him this offseason. Mallett is the next big ben. Big NFL arm, accurate, and FOOTBALL SMART. Ponder is just book smart. We wanted a QB that we thought was accurate and smart, but we got a QB who never played against big competition(ACC QB) and he didnt even tear the ACC up like Rivers did. He wasnt even the best QB in the ACC. Bring me Mallett or RIvers or Tyler Wilson

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by SharperImage View Post
    I wanted Ryan Mallett. I say we trade for him this offseason. Mallett is the next big ben. Big NFL arm, accurate, and FOOTBALL SMART. Ponder is just book smart. We wanted a QB that we thought was accurate and smart, but we got a QB who never played against big competition(ACC QB) and he didnt even tear the ACC up like Rivers did. He wasnt even the best QB in the ACC. Bring me Mallett or RIvers or Tyler Wilson
    As did I. I wanted Cam or Mallett.

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by SharperImage View Post
    Ryan Mallet was my guy as well. I also believe he will be available because I don't see Tom Brady leaving the Patriots anytime soon, and I am sure Mallet wants his chance as a starter.

thorshammer is online now Asst. Coach
    Does anyone else here think Ponder is being over coached?? I think they've got him so worried about what he's doing that it's causing him to hold the ball to long. He hesitates on everything like he's second guessing himself. I think they have ruined him.

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 89101112 20 ... LastLast